• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] River trouble

ninjalectual1

I got a River in Frost Line plastic that's been extremely disappointing, and I'd like to understand why. It doesn't demonstrate any of the 7-rated glide that I bought it for, it doesn't do anything special really, just another underwhelming, inconsistently overstable driver.

I don't think it's me, because I have a Gold Line Saint and an Opto Maul in comoa6rable weights, and I absolutely love both of them. They go where I want, and fly such amazing, elegant lines to get there. They both fly consistently with how their flight ratings suggest they should, all things my River doesn't do. Are there known inconsistent runs of the River? Is Frost plastic more overstable or less glidey than the others?

My only other theory is a stretch, I think: I've noticed the little nipple nub thing on the underside of the flight plate is well off-center. Could that maybe indicate a larger problem with its manufacture that effects its flight characteristics?

I had a sort of similar situation with a Champion Leopard that at first seemed far, far more overstable than was reasonable for that disc. That problem solved itself before too long, whether it was due to the disc getting beat up a little or to me learning how to handle it better I couldn't say. All I know is that I've been monkeying around with the River for longer than it took my Leopard to shape up, with nothing to suggest anything about it is going to change. Any ideas are appreciated!

I got a River in Frost Line plastic that's been extremely disappointing, and I'd like to understand why. It doesn't demonstrate any of the 7-rated glide that I bought it for, it doesn't do anything special really, just another underwhelming, inconsistently overstable driver. .... Any ideas are appreciated!

Have you tried a Gold Line River or an Opto River? They may be more what you're looking for, especially vs. the Frost line. If you know someone with a GL River and can throw it, try that out, or risk the $$ on a GL River.

I had an opto River that I loved for its glide and mild fade but in Frost Line it didn't work nearly as well unfortunately. Try opto is my advice! ☺

Have you tried a Gold Line River or an Opto River?

This is exactly what I need to do. As soon as I have the money for it, and there isn't some other disc I need/want more!

Apparently I'm not the only one to experience problems with Frost Line. What a disappointing waste of money, they charge premium plastic prices for the crap too. When I bought it I wasn't familiar with Lat64s plastics and thought I was getting Opto... ugh. I love my other Lat64 plastic, but this is so annoying.

Apparently I'm not the only one to experience problems with Frost Line. What a disappointing waste of money, they charge premium plastic prices for the crap too. When I bought it I wasn't familiar with Lat64s plastics and thought I was getting Opto... ugh. I love my other Lat64 plastic, but this is so annoying.

For what it's worth, if you live somewhere that it's warm, I don't think Frost line was really for you anyways.

from my understanding, they made frost line maintain a good grip in the VERY cold temperatures they have in Sweden (and Finland,etc).

That being said, I live in warm and sunny Southern California, and I actually bag a first run frost line river, and I honestly don't see much difference in the flight from that one and my other rivers, except for maybe a touch of added stability...

and when I say stability, the Frost river doesn't really fade on me, but it resists the high speed turn better than any of my other Rivers, moonshine included.

But i'm also not trying to discredit your experience with frost line plastic, or that frost line disc... the exact same discs fly different for me and my friends when we let each other throw each other's discs, so maybe they're just not for you personally.

Frost plastic is definitely more overstable than Opto or Gold Line as others have said but not so much that I can't get any turn with them.

In my experience the River is very sensitive to form, especially nose angle. The disc rewards perfect technique with an almost effortless full flight. Mess your form up and it stalls out diving hard left. It is a good disc to use to clean up your form. A Gold Line one may be slightly more forgiving but will still fly more overstable if your form isn't good.

Discs are inconsistent.
If you think you're getting flights to match the numbers every time, you're going to have a bad time.

It happens. I could tell you some Star Valkyrie stories...

Anyhoo, you can pay it forward and introduce someone to disc golf with the gift of that disc, or you can keep it and try it again later; there may come a time when you want the flight characteristics it has. Last but not least, throw it around on the range and on practice shots on the course, and season it in that way; in time, its flight will begin moving towards what you want it to be...

When you blow on the flight plate after release you get extra 50' of distance. If you have good lungs maybe 100'

I haven't tried frost line rivers... I only throw gold line and they do glide really well when thrown low

FYI... Rivers and Avenger SS are the discs I lose the most for some reason...

I have 2 Rivers, both 168g. The Frost is more stable with less turn and more fade than the Opto. However, I don't notice it being any shorter in total distance when thrown well. I want to add a Gold line River to see if I can have one a little more flippy and complete the stability trifecta.

Incidentally, I agree that Trillogy's soft premium plastics (Fluid, Elasto, Frost) are the most stable in the lineup. I own these in the River, Bolt, Escape, Hatchet, Havoc, truth, Claymore, Warden, Judge, Diamond...and they are consistently more stable (to some varying degree) than their counterparts in other plastics.

I bought a FR Frost River in the hopes it would hold up a bit better to full power, I found that they still need a good bit of hyzer or height to not turn and burn. My favorite part about the disc is the plastic though, feels good in my hand.

The disc will start beating in the more you use it and you can grow with it, the more distance you gain, the more it'll turn. Not necessarily a lost cause but it is a bummer that it isn't the disc you wanted. Overstable discs are useful though.

Not necessarily a lost cause but it is a bummer that it isn't the disc you wanted. Overstable discs are useful though.

Of course, I just have all the overstable discs I need twice over. Ironically, those are the ones I have enough of to "pay it forward" by giving them to any friend (or acquaintance, or friend-of-a-friend) who's interested in the sport. Ideally I'd be handing out something more understable, but at the moment they are just too valuable to me personally.

In my experience, the best discs for new players are 150-class Saints or Leopards.