• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Latitude] River Woes

I will jump on this love/ hate bandwagon. For me the River was the easiest disc to throw for great distance with minimal effort. I had found that perfect snap to arm speed ratio to hit it. Since June I have lost that and now my Rivers suddenly get airborne, go right of my intended target, or turn over too much. I contribute it to not enough snap, wrist roll, and or not throwing nose down. To counter this, muscling a slightly beat TeeBird gets me almost the exact same results as I was getting with my heavy Gold Line Rivers.

I am going to keep practicing with my Rivers, but for now I have a great combination of a heavy Star TeeBird, a lighter beat Star TeeBird, and a middle weight Echo Star TeeBird that I am intending to beat in a little more. Also, during the winter I throw my Vibrams (Trak and Ascent) more often because of the superior grip. When the snow is out there, I can hardly grip Gold Line/ Tournament plastic.

I am thinking a 175+g Opto River would be perfect for me. Too bad I cannot find one in a color I like.

Hear you there. I just got a heavy one, but it's Red. Perfect fall camo.

Rivers are a test beast,if your form isn't at the top of its game you are going to turn and burn. Try throwing them at about 65% power but with tons of span

The color selection is my only real complaint and this goes for strikers also. The colors online are mostly fall like colors. I know that some people have picked up some nice pinks and blues but those bright colors dont show up on online stores all that often and are usualy gone when I place an order by phone. I thought I got lucky when i order a pink opto Striker but when it showed up it was more clear than pink.

The really rich and dark blue of Westside's VIP plastic really shows up well on the the ground. I have seen only one River in this despite Opto and VIP being the same plastic being produced in the same plant.

I think I have a really dark blue River, I know I had one at one point this year, but it was only a 172g. It was obviously servicible but I think I used it more for practice when I was really packing the bags with Rivers. My 177g Blue Gold Line Rivers were pure money until I lost one at BRP #6 and another I let a new player throw on BRP #19. I only have two left of this weight. Again, if they can come in heavy Optos, I am sure I would pack up a whole stack and convert back.

Latitude plastic dyes well. I am going to take a few of my clear and faint pink Rivers, Visions and Strikers and either do decent dye jobs on them, or just have them dipped in a Fuscia or hot pink dye.

I'm sure our dying (is that right?) community would love to do a bunch of bright Latitude dyes.

I have been experimenting with a 169g Opto River for a few weeks now and I am loving mine. At first it was a little more overstable than what I had thought it would be but after hitting several trees now it holds any line I throw it on. I do find that you can over power the disc sometimes. I am a fan of both Opto and GL plastic. I throw Opto Cores and GL Flows also. I think the Opto Core is the best midrange on the market.

Just traded for a 174g GL River. I do know that Opto is more overstable in general. I have a GL and Opto Pain at about the same weight as further proof. Depending on what flight stats you want, definitely experiment with different weights and GL vs Opto. I like that about Lat 64. You can tune your bag and not carry as many molds.

My initial impression was good. It glides very well, as advertised. Tested it on a flat 264' hole and parked it inside one foot behind the post. Probably gave it about 75% power and the flight was fairly neutral. Just glided with a little drift (about 10') right to left as it was slowing down. Can't wait to give a full rip.

I purchased a 176g River GL back in September. The River, when thrown properly, will fly over 300ft for me in a very straight line. When playing with my buddies, they always are surprised how far and how straight this disc flies.

I love the River GL! It sits in my bag as a straight line driver and also a mid-range disc. For me, it's a "Swiss Army" type disc that has helped my game tremendously.

I cannot vouch for the Opto line, but I love the GL line. The GL plastic is my favorite plastic, perfect combination of grip and durability.