• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roads treated as OB water hazards.

jrawk

* Ace Member *
My home course, Hot Shots, is built throughout an abandoned housing culdesac area. every hole's fairway is lined by a road on one side and tree line on the other, with the occasional hole playing accross the road.

Course rules are posted that if your disc lands in the road and is not supported by the curb, it is OB. If any part of your disc is supported by the curb, it is not fully OB and the 1 meter rule can be applied.

When throwing across the road, there is no course rule on how to mark your lie when your disc bounces backwards off the verticle wall of the curb and stops in the road without being supported by a curb.

Throw direction ==>

--tee pad--------near curb--|____________OB road__________|--far curb-------------- basket

..........................................Disc stops here ^

If the disc hits and bounces off the far curb verticle but stays OB, do you mark your lie 1 meter from the far curb or the near curb?

As with any OB water you play it from the bank/curb that it hit if you are sure it hit the curb. If you throw across water and hit the far bank and it bounces back into the water you play it from the bank it hit taking your one stroke and a meter relief.

The far curb is defined as inbounds, so the last place the disc was inbounds was the far curb. Take one-meter relief from there.

I would go with near curb as well.

How do you deal with skip shots? OK? No good?

Skip shots = good.

During league play, only roads are OB, however during touney play most holes with roads change to "road and beyond" are OB, since the other side of the road is usually another hole's fairway.

It would definitely be far curb. as long as you hit the curb. it would be like hitting the far edge of a water hazard and then going in the drink. you play that from where it touched IB. very simple. Skip shots should be the same as they would on water. I have skipped off a lake and IB more than once. not pretty but still legit.

Near curb because the OB line(far curb) itself is OB.

he said if it is being supported by the curb its IB. therefore if it hits said IB support structure then that is where it would be marked. add a stroke. move on.

It would definitely be far curb. as long as you hit the curb. it would be like hitting the far edge of a water hazard and then going in the drink. you play that from where it touched IB. very simple. Skip shots should be the same as they would on water. I have skipped off a lake and IB more than once. not pretty but still legit.

For that to be the case you would have to cross the "line" of OB and go over it. If you hit the line itself then you never crossed back inbounds

he said if it is being supported by the curb its IB. therefore if it hits said IB support structure then that is where it would be marked. add a stroke. move on.

No he said it bounced off the verticle wall

This is the debate.

No debate. The line itself is OB, therefore you have to cross the line to be inbounds. If you hit that line (verticle wall) and stay OB, then your OB and go to the last place you were in bounds

I disc must be completely surrounded by OB to be considered OB. Therefore, touching a line is in. So impacting the line and bouncing off, is in fact, crossing in then going out again.

If the disc comes to rest flat on the ground touching the curb (but not supported by it) is that considered in? If not, my opinion might change...

I disc must be completely surrounded by OB to be considered OB. Therefore, touching a line is in. So impacting the line and bouncing off, is in fact, crossing in then going out again.

By the old rules yes. I agree the rulebook leaves lots of gray area but this is one rule that is very black and white. How do you cross the line by hitting it and coming back. If you throw into a wall you never go through it do you?

This is one of those situations where you need a firm razor thin definition of where the OB line is, a drop zone or a special OB rule. If the curb itself is considered IB, I think you can make a good case that your disc touched IB territory and you should take it a meter in from the far curb.

That being said, I don't like the idea of setting an OB line at the bottom of a curb. To me, the top of the curb where it touches grass makes more sense. If any part of your disc was over grass, you can take it from the far side. (Albeit from a distance, that can be fuzzy to see as well).

By the old rules yes. I agree the rulebook leaves lots of gray area but this is one rule that is very black and white.

Just looked it up, you're right.

F. The out-of-bounds line itself is considered out-of --bounds.

So in order to actually cross the OB line, it must go over the curb and come back. If it bounces off the curb, it is never in on the far side. Drop from the near curb or re-tee.

if all of the disc is in the road except for a small part that is supported by the curb and that is considered IB then the curb is IB. and the line of the curb is IB. that was how he described it.

Just looked it up, you're right.

So in order to actually cross the OB line, it must go over the curb and come back. If it bounces off the curb, it is never in on the far side. Drop from the near curb or re-tee.

Thanks, you beat me to it

if all of the disc is in the road except for a small part that is supported by the curb and that is considered IB then the curb is IB. and the line of the curb is IB. that was how he described it.

Take 5 seconds and read the last line where the question mark is

Latest posts