• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Roc Dilemma?!?!? Help please!!

(i don't even know what 'turning over' a disc is, i'm just parroting what i've read.)

When you go to throw a disc such as a Roc in this instance, if you release flat or with a hyzer and it goes right you are turning it over. This is done two ways. Any disc can be turned over with enough snap and force, the discs high speed stability (how over/understable) will decide how easy this is. OAT is the other culprit, your arm doesnt come across flat or your form is causing you to release with a small amount of anhyzer, which in turn will turn the disc.

I am assuming you are probably throwing Rocs close to Max weight seeins as how far your throwing them and your drivers. I can't throw a Roc 350' but certainly think they can be without turning. I can put mine out to 300+ and have no issues with disc wanting to flip over.

As unlikely as it would seem that you are having a OAT issue seeing your distance I would imagine their is some causing it, that or you are throwing the Roc underweight or the Roc is beat in to understable.

I throw a roc and I have found that it beats in really fast. This is the reason I think mine turnsover so easy as it seemed pretty stable out of the box.

I have wanted to checkout a gator but havent heard a review of it till now. Think I will order one

If kitchen plates met PDGA weight and technical standards, Innova would sell them for $20 apiece, and call it "The Platter."

Then they would put a bead on it and re-release the brand new Silver Platter.

yeah i would say i would have to see you toss a few. i personally like the buzzz. i have a few roc's but i don't use them outside of 100'. anything farther then that i bust out the buzzz.

The buzzz may be the most overrated disc on the market. They are not in the same league as a Roc but are much more like a cobra than anything else yet they are always compared to the Roc.... as if.

I think this has happened for three or more reasons.

1. Newer players like the buzzz for the same reason newer players like the cobra. It's very straight with little fade. but it also has the same flaw as the cobra, it turns over too easy for more advanced players.

2. Innova haters love it because it's the closest non Innova thing there is to the Roc.

3. The 420 crowd loves it more for the name than anything else. If discraft came out with a disc called the "insert clever drug reference name" it would sell like crazy no matter what the flight characteristics.

3. The 420 crowd loves it more for the name than anything else. If discraft came out with a disc called the "insert clever drug reference name" it would sell like crazy no matter what the flight characteristics.
This just leaked from DiscGolfAmsterdam:

Coming this Summer from Innova...

The new disc all hard-core disc golfers gotta have...

The Roach

Preliminary flight numbers
Speed, Glide, Turn, Fade = TBD, 4, 2, 0

Available exclusively in H-Pro plastic.
H-Pro is our new Hemp based, organic plastic blend made from renewable resources.

Underside abbreviation: MJ

It'd probably be the best selling disc of all time....

Sounds to me as if you need a minor tweak or two in form. Personally I carry anywhere from 6-8 Rocs in my bag at all times. They vary in style, weight, plastic, and are in different stages of life. Like most discs, the flight patterns will change after being broke in. I would be lost for a while if I took them out of my bag. Tweaks to your form will correct the flight pattern you are attempting to use. I recommend buying Flying Discs', "Fundamentals" DVD. EXCELLENT DVD for all experience levels. They cover issues like you are experiencing and provide tips on how to correct. Hate on Rocs if you must but I believe a form tweak will solve your dilema.

I've bought and tried several different Rocs...I can't throw them without them turning over as well. My Elite Z BUZZZ is the only mid range for me

The buzzz may be the most overrated disc on the market. They are not in the same league as a Roc but are much more like a cobra than anything else yet they are always compared to the Roc.... as if.

I think this has happened for three or more reasons.

1. Newer players like the buzzz for the same reason newer players like the cobra. It's very straight with little fade. but it also has the same flaw as the cobra, it turns over too easy for more advanced players.

2. Innova haters love it because it's the closest non Innova thing there is to the Roc.

Thread drift...I'll play!

You are correct that the Buzzz does not=the Rancho Roc. The Discraft version of the Rancho Roc is the Wasp, a stangely underrated disc IMO.

The Buzzz actually is closest to the old San Marino Roc. A lot of old San Marino throwers switched to the Buzzz when it came out. This makes sense since the San Marino Roc is less stable than the Rancho Roc, and the Buzzz is less stable than the Wasp.

This also makes sense when you consider that the Comet is also a Roc copy, but the Roc at the time that the Comet came out was the Ontario.

So in summary, Wasp=Rancho Roc, Buzzz=San Marino Roc, Comet=Ontario Roc.

x2...LOL
i use my wizard up to 125-150' approaches...

x3 - my guess is most people don't realize how far a "putter" will actually fly. I'm a ROC fan, but inside a hundred feet needs to be a putter. I've actually started changing my throwing form with my ROC for kicks just to see what it can do. With a little anhyzer at the release, I've started getting 200-250' with a gentle s-curve - never know when I might need it.

I have a gator and a shark as well, but rarely throw them right now just cuz the ROC feels more comfortable to me. Guess I'll have to try them out next round and see the differences again.

GREAT articles gents! I love all the help on this site! technique and general info threads helped me shoot a 56 on one of Kansas Cities best technical courses yesterday. I was on cloud freakin' nine (maybe ten) :cool:

Thread drift...I'll play!

You are correct that the Buzzz does not=the Rancho Roc. The Discraft version of the Rancho Roc is the Wasp, a stangely underrated disc IMO.

The Buzzz actually is closest to the old San Marino Roc. A lot of old San Marino throwers switched to the Buzzz when it came out. This makes sense since the San Marino Roc is less stable than the Rancho Roc, and the Buzzz is less stable than the Wasp.

This also makes sense when you consider that the Comet is also a Roc copy, but the Roc at the time that the Comet came out was the Ontario.

So in summary, Wasp=Rancho Roc, Buzzz=San Marino Roc, Comet=Ontario Roc.

Three Putt this helped me a lot.
I've never thrown a roc, but I want to try them out. I just bought a rancho and a san marino roc (both tourney stamped). I am curious, what are the current run DX rocs?

I appreciate all the advice but this thread has seem to get OFF TOPIC, I can power a Roc 350 but it will be way to the right, I throw my putter(up to 250) if i need to. I can throw gator all day accuarately up to 340'. I just wanted some honeslt advice as to how people get rocs to go 350 (especially if theres headwind up tp 350, cuz I find they turn over just like every midrange disc. Thanks for all the input tho guys, Keep Discin hard!!!!

I always read roc...roc...roc....so in the words of one of the greatest songs ever I thought....I wanna Roc..... so I finallywent to the out house and picked me up a classic roc......it indeeds does what everybody has said....holds a true line....thanks to all you rocers out there for convincing me to go get one.....

I am curious, what are the current run DX rocs?
It's been quite a while since they produced anything other than Rancho Rocs for a normal, production run. You'll have to find a better historian than me to figure out when the change over happened for sure, but it's probably close to a decade ago.