• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Roc3 flight

So a little background for my review - I throw only 180 gram rocs for my midrange, I max out at about 475 feet on golf lines, and I use Rocs for shots between 275 and 350 unless there is a very low ceiling. They are my go-to driver.
The Roc3 is very stable. Not overstable, and not understable at all. Comparing a fresh Roc3 to a fresh KC, the Roc3 will pop up from a hyzer (unlike a KC) and follow it's line for about 80 percent of it's flight. After that, it will have a modest fade (more of a "2" rating in my opinion). The only thing I don't seem to like about it is that if turned over, it will not try to fight out (unlike a KC), it will track the majority of it's flight on that line. A little bit of OAT goes a long way with this disc. It does power down much better than a KC, and handles a headwind a bit better if compensated with a hyzer release. I find it travels about 20 to 30 feet further than a KC on the same throw with a bit more skip at the end. The killer thing about this disc is the grip. It feels much better in the hand and inspires confidence to really rip on it.
I've been trying to fit it into the bag with my other Rocs and it's having a tough time mingling. I find that it actually needs to be thought of as a separate disc from the stage wear Rocs as it starts off less overstable, is faster, and makes completely different lines.
Best use for the Roc3: Go-to straight line driver, or powered down tight shots in woods.

I agree these will not be replacing my old kc pros or REAL dx big birds. I wish people would make sure to be specific when calling these new ones big birds. I keep thinking a lot of dx big birds are in the marketplace. Which I wish there were

Freaking AGREED! :hfive:

So a little background for my review - I throw only 180 gram rocs for my midrange, I max out at about 475 feet on golf lines, and I use Rocs for shots between 275 and 350 unless there is a very low ceiling. They are my go-to driver.
The Roc3 is very stable. Not overstable, and not understable at all. Comparing a fresh Roc3 to a fresh KC, the Roc3 will pop up from a hyzer (unlike a KC) and follow it's line for about 80 percent of it's flight. After that, it will have a modest fade (more of a "2" rating in my opinion). The only thing I don't seem to like about it is that if turned over, it will not try to fight out (unlike a KC), it will track the majority of it's flight on that line. A little bit of OAT goes a long way with this disc. It does power down much better than a KC, and handles a headwind a bit better if compensated with a hyzer release. I find it travels about 20 to 30 feet further than a KC on the same throw with a bit more skip at the end. The killer thing about this disc is the grip. It feels much better in the hand and inspires confidence to really rip on it.
I've been trying to fit it into the bag with my other Rocs and it's having a tough time mingling. I find that it actually needs to be thought of as a separate disc from the stage wear Rocs as it starts off less overstable, is faster, and makes completely different lines.
Best use for the Roc3: Go-to straight line driver, or powered down tight shots in woods.

Nicely done...appreciate that information

I initially read this as you throwing rocs to 475 feet and I nearly choked on my tongue.

I throw my Rocs up to 350'. Max weight and very mildly domed (almost flat), my Roc3's might flip up just a tad, but they pretty much hold that nice soft hyzer with a strong finish that I love. I prefer to use an overstable driver rather than an overstable midrange for strong hyzers and wind, so this is the perfect stability for my Rocs to start at.

I don't know about the Wasp, and I never bought the Buzzz comparisons, but I love it simply because it's a "good" shaped Roc with excellent grip and will last forever. Very akin in flight to my Stable Mid Range Driver DX's and '02 CE that I love so much, just shy of my stiff KCs' stability. I'm used to cycling the DX's and KC's, so I'm not sure what I'm gonna do now that this thing will last forever.

I paid essentially retail for the Rocs I have. I do think they'll go up in value, not because they fly like a Buzzz, but because they're good Rocs. Especially if the plastic gets less grippy down the road. But I don't much care, I'll probably be throwing all of mine.

i can't wait for the shark3 and mako3 threads.. they'll be just as awesome as this one. post after post of people saying "it goes straight"

I laughed thanks^

If your looking for a straight disc get the star kite...----------> Y

I'd hate to think the price of these puppies or the stacks people already acquired are affecting their judgement on how they fly! :)

Good natured ribbing aside, I too am curious as to how they would fit with kcs and dxs in different stages of wear.

stabler Champion plastic

Kenny Stabler Champion Plastic?

09_stabler.jpg

The KS 2X Champion Rocs were the best!