• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Roc3 flight

Anyone else find that a lighter weight champ roc3 (I found a no name 172) is more overstable than max weights? I had up to this point only thrown max midranges, you know, since the time of when the confusion over rocs was "classic" vs "new."

Not really, the stability of champ Roc3s seems to be all about the PLH, certainly for the ones I've thrown

Anyone else find that a lighter weight champ roc3 (I found a no name 172) is more overstable than max weights? I had up to this point only thrown max midranges, you know, since the time of when the confusion over rocs was "classic" vs "new."

i feel this way. the max weights i've thrown feel glidier, the lighter weights (174-176) feel more compact, faster, with an earlier and overall larger fade. they beat into lasers after years of thrashing.

I've heard McBeth say the same thing, he's probably a pretty good authority on the subject

I have a 2x Champ I recently put in the bag that's only 171g, super flat.

I would say it's decently stable, but not what I would consider OS.

Straight with a decent fade.

I hope it beats into a laser.

I hadn't used a Roc3 in years until I played a rushed round the other day and grabbed my old 2x Roc3 by accident thinking it was a VIP Bard in the same color.

I like it, it feels pretty good and comes out smooth. But what did they do with the fade on these? It just doesn't really have much at all.

The Bard will stay in the bag for quite some time unless something dramatic changes.

Has anyone tried a metal flake/glow roc3? I have a star that is more OS than the rest of mine(including a 171 champ). How OS are they?

Has anyone tried a metal flake/glow roc3? I have a star that is more OS than the rest of mine(including a 171 champ). How OS are they?

I have an early run Glo Roc3. It's not really OS, more so than a stock Champ Roc3 though. I attribute that to the dome on it.

I hadn't used a Roc3 in years until I played a rushed round the other day and grabbed my old 2x Roc3 by accident thinking it was a VIP Bard in the same color.

I like it, it feels pretty good and comes out smooth. But what did they do with the fade on these? It just doesn't really have much at all.

The Bard will stay in the bag for quite some time unless something dramatic changes.

Yeah the Bard is much closer to how I picture a premium Roc to fly. They're beefy and fantastic.

The Roc3 is a great disc but it definitely is more Buzzz like to me than Roc-like

I have a 2x Champ I recently put in the bag that's only 171g, super flat.

I would say it's decently stable, but not what I would consider OS.

Straight with a decent fade.

I hope it beats into a laser.
I have a beat up max weight 2x Champion Roc3 I got in a trade. It's not flat, it has a little dome to it. It is laser straight.

The Metal Flake, is more OS than my 2x but it's not a Gator or anything. Pretty much brings the stability back to around a Champ Rancho Roc.

On second trial the 172 was just dead straight. I think the overstability was attributed to throwing in the rain and grip issues. Still on a search for overstable roc3's. I have thrown a star which would actually flex out some. I want something flat and flightwise like the 04 kenny/barry battle or the 06 glow champ.

On second trial the 172 was just dead straight. I think the overstability was attributed to throwing in the rain and grip issues. Still on a search for overstable roc3's. I have thrown a star which would actually flex out some. I want something flat and flightwise like the 04 kenny/barry battle or the 06 glow champ.

Max weight Z Wasp good sir.

Still on a search for overstable roc3's.

I think I posted some time before that I tried several different Roc3s: Champs, Stars, McPros, DX, etc., and they all flew about the same frash out of the box: flat and straight, with a dump fade at the end. I intended to use Champ Roc3s as an OS compliment to the Stars... the Champs were flat and straight, as well, to my surprise at the time.

Some like the McPro and DX lose the fade faster, but NONE were really overstable out of the box. Maybe the Metal Flake starts out a tad more OS than the others, but not by much.

So, IMHO if you want a more overstable disc, you might want to look at the Shark3 instead of the Roc3, and of course there other brands out there. But the Roc3 just isn't as overstable as one would think it would be from the numbers.

If you want an OS Roc3 just get a VIP Bard. It's a similar feel with a straight to actual fade flight. Instead of straight to... Pretty much still straight.

Yes, it's just a bit smaller than the Roc.

Some lighter weight roc3 ive tried were quite overstable, as well as slightly domey metal flakes. But to me the roc3 in general is a buzz, just point and shoot.

I pulled a swirly star roc3 out of the new box to replace my recently lost "overstable" roc3. It is exactly what I want in terms of new midrange stablility. I have only used the champs otherwise. They are all straight stable, which is nice, but the star has the flight of a short new champ teebird, which is perfect.

Now I need to get more, since I only have one backup. The one I just threw today has been in the box since last october. I guess I was lucky to lose my bagged roc3 so I could rotate the new one in.:|

Latest posts