• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Roc3x midrange

They're up at sunkingdiscs.com too. They have the disc color and stamp colors so you know exactly what you're getting! I like that. And free shipping..

A customer bought one (production run) yesterday and we took it to the driving range behind the shop. It wasn't as OS as the Proto I had thrown. It was less stable than the Aviar 3 he had picked up. Actually pretty straight. ��

OF COURSE this thing goes into full production right after I broke down and got a Roc3 instead. I looked for a Roc X3 for weeks.

Situations like this can lead to good things. You may find room for both the Roc3 and RocX3 in your bag, depending on the shots you need on the courses you play...

Got mine in today from Infinite Discs. I have to say that (this is a production run, stock stamp) it really doesnt feel much different from my Champ Roc3s. Going to be interesting to see how this flies.

So I went out and threw this a bunch this morning. First off, it feels very familiar in the hand. I really cannot feel a difference in my hand between it and a standard Roc3.

I cant tell if it is truly more overstable all around or if it just has less glide? It flies pretty similiar to a regular Roc3, maybe a teensy amount more fade, but I can put a Roc3 on a rope out past 300 with relative ease and I was really having to goose the RocX3 to get it out there. Of note, I have a glow Champ Roc3 is certainly more overstable than the RocX3.

Im not sold on it, to be honest. I just dont see a big enough difference between it and the Roc3, and the only significant difference (glide/distance) isnt a selling point.

Threw my protostar RocX3 in a field and on the course this morning. Spent a lot of time throwing it along with a 180g Star Rancho and a 177g DX Roc.

The RocX3 was definitely overstable. I threw it backhand and forehand, hyzer, flat, anhyzer, really wanted to see what I could do with it. It was a windy morning with flags fluttering and branches swaying, and the RocX3 handled headwinds and had a healthy fade.

It flew fairly close to my Star Rancho overall, but showed that extra 0.5 of fade. It was especially good on forehands, and flex shots both FH and BH.

I really like this disc. Feels slightly different from my other Rocs in hand but close enough. Flying like a fresh really overstable Rancho for me. I am interested to see if the stock stamp production runs generally fly as differently as described; would be disappointing if that was the case.

Anyone throwing the star rocx3? Anything I'm missing out on?

I've got one in the bag. Been using the Champ CFR since it came out but picked up a pumpkin Star and bagged that instead. It might be a little more stable than the Champs. Tough to tell and give a full review since it's averaged about 5 degrees and the grounds been covered with snow here. Nothing flies quite right. It definitely delivers as advertised. A more stable Roc. Feels just like a Roc but it won't turn at all even at full power and in mild headwinds. It's glides out for a while and finishes with a nice strong fade. Not much of a forward fade but not dumpy either. I've been bagging 4 Rocs and 1 RocX3 and the setup feels complete. It sees a lot of action.

I've got one in the bag. Been using the Champ CFR since it came out but picked up a pumpkin Star and bagged that instead. It might be a little more stable than the Champs. Tough to tell and give a full review since it's averaged about 5 degrees and the grounds been covered with snow here. Nothing flies quite right. It definitely delivers as advertised. A more stable Roc. Feels just like a Roc but it won't turn at all even at full power and in mild headwinds. It's glides out for a while and finishes with a nice strong fade. Not much of a forward fade but not dumpy either. I've been bagging 4 Rocs and 1 RocX3 and the setup feels complete. It sees a lot of action.

Out of curiosity are those Roc3s you're bagging with the RX3? Or KC Rocs? I would be interested to know how stable these are in comparison to either.

Out of curiosity are those Roc3s you're bagging with the RX3? Or KC Rocs? I would be interested to know how stable these are in comparison to either.

Roc3s do come in and out of the bag but generally I carry 3 DX Ranchos (basically a beat one for turnovers, worn Roc for straight shots and a fresh stable one) and one flat top Star Rancho. The Star RocX3 is by far the most stable. For me with a clean release it has zero high speed turn and a very healthy fade.

How does the new star RocX3 feel?
Are they gummy, hard, slick or grippy?

I just saw that these were a thing and was hoping to gather some info before I either go with a star Rancho or Star RocX3.
I can't get a good grip on champion:mad:

Anyone throwing the star rocx3? Anything I'm missing out on?

Next time I order from DiscGolfCenter, I'm going to throw in a Star RocX3, but I haven't done it yet...

How does the new star RocX3 feel?
Are they gummy, hard, slick or grippy?

I just saw that these were a thing and was hoping to gather some info before I either go with a star Rancho or Star RocX3.
I can't get a good grip on champion:mad:

Just got in my new Star RocX3. Feels like a Roc family disc in the hand (that concave underside, etc.), and the plastic feels good, a lot like the Star Aviar3 (as an example). The Star RocX3 is board flat.

I'll throw it when the weather clears up, and in comparison to the Bard, Hornet, and Gator.

Just got in my new Star RocX3. Feels like a Roc family disc in the hand (that concave underside, etc.), and the plastic feels good, a lot like the Star Aviar3 (as an example). The Star RocX3 is board flat.

I'll throw it when the weather clears up, and in comparison to the Bard, Hornet, and Gator.

Do you have a champ rocx3 or champ roc3 for comparison by chance?

Do you have a champ rocx3 or champ roc3 for comparison by chance?

I have Champ Roc3s and Star Roc3s, which I always found to fly the same (IOW the Champ is not more overstable than the Stars, at least fresh out of the box). The Roc3 is not all that overstable for me, so I expect the RocX3 to be more overstable. We'll see, when the snow melts...

Update: took the S-RocX3 out to the range today, along with a Tournament Plastic (TP) Bard, Z-plastic Green Hornet, Champion McBeth 3x Roc3, Metal Flake Roc3, Shark3, and Star Gator. Good session, had fun throwing these discs. There was a very mild headwind for most of the throws, with a few throws the other way (with the wind).

The furthest flyer was the Metal Flake R3, somewhat to my surprise. It flew straight with some reliable fade. The 3x R3 flew very straight and then faded a little bit. I also turned the R3 over a bit a few times, and some of its throws ended up being anny/flex shots such that the fade compensated for the turn for an overall straight shot, which was cool. The Shark3 was a lot like the R3s, but faded just a bit more for me.

The Gator did Gator things (as Ian on CCDG would say). Flew pretty straight but began seeking the ground fairly quickly, then dump faded hard. Shortest distance of all the discs, which I expected.

In between were the Bard and RocX3. I was surprised how "not overstable" the RocX3 was. It actually flew straight with good glide much more than I expected. The fade is reliable and more than the Shark3 and R3s, but not as much as the Hornet's glidey fade. The Bard actually tried to turn over a bit and then faded about like the RocX3, and again not quite what the Hornet was giving me.

Overall, I like the RocX3; it fits between the Roc3 and the really overstable stuff like the Hornet, Gator, and I would imagine the Wasp, etc. But if you're looking for a very OS glideless brick, the RocX3 will likely disappoint you, and the Bard will disappoint you even more...

Last edited:
Update: took the S-RocX3 out to the range today, along with a Tournament Plastic (TP) Bard, Z-plastic Green Hornet, Champion McBeth 3x Roc3, Metal Flake Roc3, Shark3, and Star Gator. Good session, had fun throwing these discs. There was a very mild headwind for most of the throws, with a few throws the other way (with the wind).

The furthest flyer was the Metal Flake R3, somewhat to my surprise. It flew straight with some reliable fade. The 3x R3 flew very straight and then faded a little bit. I also turned the R3 over a bit a few times, and some of its throws ended up being anny/flex shots such that the fade compensated for the turn for an overall straight shot, which was cool. The Shark3 was a lot like the R3s, but faded just a bit more for me.

The Gator did Gator things (as Ian on CCDG would say). Flew pretty straight but began seeking the ground fairly quickly, then dump faded hard. Shortest distance of all the discs, which I expected.

In between were the Bard and RocX3. I was surprised how "not overstable" the RocX3 was. It actually flew straight with good glide much more than I expected. The fade is reliable and more than the Shark3 and R3s, but not as much as the Hornet's glidey fade. The Bard actually tried to turn over a bit and then faded about like the RocX3, and again not quite what the Hornet was giving me.

Overall, I like the RocX3; it fits between the Roc3 and the really overstable stuff like the Hornet, Gator, and I would imagine the Wasp, etc. But if you're looking for a very OS glideless brick, the RocX3 will likely disappoint you, and the Bard will disappoint you even more...

How would you say the RocX3 compares to DD Verdict? And does the RocX3 have that mile long skip like Verdict or does sit down when it lands?

How would you say the RocX3 compares to DD Verdict? And does the RocX3 have that mile long skip like Verdict or does sit down when it lands?

Similar stability, different hand feel. It depends on the release angle, but the RocX3 generally fades and sits, but given hyzer it will skip.

I've never thrown a Verdict, so I don't know. The RocX3 is Star plastic, but even so it did not skip much at all. Admittedly I didn't try a hard, low skip shot with it... I'll try that next time I take the RocX3 out to the range or the course...

That's what I think too. My first run RocX3s fly like a USDGC Roc. They aren't as stable as I hoped. I'm back to Wasps to compliment my Rocs.

Latest posts