• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rochester > Albany > Worcester > Nova Scotia

DiscgolfStu

Birdie Member
I'm driving Toronto > Nova Scotia in early June through the states and thinking I gotta hit these courses up along the way:

Chili DGC
Joralemon
Maple Hill
Sabbatus

Can anyone here recommend a decent (read: cheap but not trashy) camp ground near Joralemon or Sabbatus? Also, Maple Hill is non-negotiable, but am I missing any must plays along the way that I should consider instead of those listed? I'm trying to fit in Chili and Joralemon on Day 1, MH and Sabbatus on Day two, then the long 9 hr drive through disc golf wasteland home on day 3.
Cheers,
DGStu

Just wanna say that if you are playing Maple Hill, you should try to play Pyramids as well. MH is better, but Pyramids is right across the street and definitely worth playing.

I second what Roggen says. Maple is a better course, but Pyramids is a good course too, and you cant beat Marshall Street Pro Shop. And keep me posted about dates and times that you'll be there. Im about 50 minutes from there and would love to join! Theres also a very very well put together Jason Southwick course called 501 Disc Golf in Warren MA, west of Maple Hill. Not far from I-90. Also, maybe a bit out of the way, but Barre Falls Dam just recently made my list of one of my favorite course. Its not the most difficult course but its a beautiful course.

I second what Roggen says. Maple is a better course, but Pyramids is a good course too, and you cant beat Marshall Street Pro Shop. And keep me posted about dates and times that you'll be there. Im about 50 minutes from there and would love to join! Theres also a very very well put together Jason Southwick course called 501 Disc Golf in Warren MA, west of Maple Hill. Not far from I-90. Also, maybe a bit out of the way, but Barre Falls Dam just recently made my list of one of my favorite course. Its not the most difficult course but its a beautiful course.

Cool beans, might have to make day two Maple Hill and Pyramids then. Hit Sabbatus before I head home on day three. Cheers! Oh, and will likely be there on June 15 or 16. Will send a PM.

For Rochester, you may be better-suited with Parma DGC instead of Chili. Parma is pretty much the premiere course around here, and if you've never played it you should. If you do play Chili though, prepare for a very muddy experience.

Just food for thought.

If you are heading down through the Rochester area, I would try and get Shore Winds & Parma instead of Chili. I wasn't very impressed with Chili. Parma is a great course and Shore Winds has 2 on site. Plus they are on the lake and it's a pretty view.

I didn't read your post in full. PARMA, play PARMA

Last edited:
If you are heading down through the Rochester area, I would try and get Shore Winds & Parma instead of Chili. I wasn't very impressed with Chili. Parma is a great course and Shore Winds has 2 on site. Plus they are on the lake and it's a pretty view.

I didn't read your post in full. PARMA, play PARMA

Haha, thanks. I was looking at shorewinds a few days ago and it does look pretty awesome, same with Parma. I can't remember why I settled on Chili, but you make a strong case!

Cool beans, might have to make day two Maple Hill and Pyramids then. Hit Sabbatus before I head home on day three. Cheers! Oh, and will likely be there on June 15 or 16. Will send a PM.

If you're there on the 16th I could possibly take the day off work, 15th I know I cant make it. Weather will dictate things and time at work. Its rough working in finance... depends on what comes up. Keep me posted though! :hfive:

I'm driving Toronto > Nova Scotia in early June through the states and thinking I gotta hit these courses up along the way:

Chili DGC
Joralemon
Maple Hill
Sabbatus

Can anyone here recommend a decent (read: cheap but not trashy) camp ground near Joralemon or Sabbatus? Also, Maple Hill is non-negotiable, but am I missing any must plays along the way that I should consider instead of those listed? I'm trying to fit in Chili and Joralemon on Day 1, MH and Sabbatus on Day two, then the long 9 hr drive through disc golf wasteland home on day 3.
Cheers,
DGStu

Just an FYI Playing a Rochester course then driving to J Park to play is a lot for 1 day. I'd say play Parma over Chili. You'll want to make sure you have enough time to play J's 27 hole layout. When do you think you are coming through? Schodack island is the closest state camp ground it'll be cheap and decent. It's kinda close it's just that to get there from J requires a bit of back tracking. Thruway goes right over top of it but the next exit is 10 mins up the road then requires 10-15 mins of back roads to get back there.

https://goo.gl/maps/sa76qvUhzk82

Here's a link to our clubs page on J park. http://discap.net/courses/j-park/

Just an FYI Playing a Rochester course then driving to J Park to play is a lot for 1 day. I'd say play Parma over Chili. You'll want to make sure you have enough time to play J's 27 hole layout. When do you think you are coming through? Schodack island is the closest state camp ground it'll be cheap and decent. It's kinda close it's just that to get there from J requires a bit of back tracking. Thruway goes right over top of it but the next exit is 10 mins up the road then requires 10-15 mins of back roads to get back there.

https://goo.gl/maps/sa76qvUhzk82

Here's a link to our clubs page on J park. http://discap.net/courses/j-park/

Thanks so much for the info - that's awesome. I was planning on leaving Toronto at 7:00 am, getting to the Rochester course (probably Parma now) at around 9:00-9:930 and playing until lunch or shortly thereafter. Then I'd make the 4 hr drive to Joralemon and play until I couldn't see my hands in front of me ;) I figure I'd get to J by 4:30-5:00 if all goes well, leaving me - I'm assuming - enough time to play a full 27. However, I can see myself changing plans as I go, depending on the feel of the day. I mean, I might just leave at 5:00 am too :D

Maybe I'm biased because I play both maple and pyramids multiple times a week. I think you'll be taking away from your maple hill experience if you don't make a day of it. I would suggest stopping into Marshall St to see the pro shop and then heading to maple ( literally a 30 second drive) and playing at least two of the layouts. Pyramids is a solid course but if I only had one shot at playing disc golf on Marshall St I would spend as much time as I could at Maple Hill. Especially if you're skilled enough to play the golds with confidence. For me even the blue and white layouts are better than Pyramids. If you're really set on playing two MA courses then I would suggest adding one of the dam courses over pyramids. Both Barre falls and Buffumville are reasonable options. Tully and Thompson ( in Connecticut) are probably a little too far out of the way. Also be aware that Maple Hill has increased their rates to $20 per person on weekends in the summer. Be sure to get here on a week day to pay half price. Just my 2 cents.

My plans have changed slightly as I now realize I will be within putting range (okay, maybe a simple upshot) of the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. One of the NY courses may have to be sacrificed, but I'm determined, dammit! I'll keep y'all posted on how it plays out. Thanks again for all the advice, I really appreciate it!

My plans have changed slightly as I now realize I will be within putting range (okay, maybe a simple upshot) of the Baseball Hall of Fame in Cooperstown. One of the NY courses may have to be sacrificed, but I'm determined, dammit! I'll keep y'all posted on how it plays out. Thanks again for all the advice, I really appreciate it!

If your heading down to cooperstown. Put Mine Kill Disc Golf Course on your radar.

If your heading down to cooperstown. Put Mine Kill Disc Golf Course on your radar.

Already is. It looks super sweet and I'm gonna try my best to get there after Cooperstown. If all goes to plan, I'll be playing Parma, then Cooperstown, then Mine Kill. It will be a long day, but if my buddy and I can pull it off, it'll be epic (I've google mapped the sh*it out of it - it's a possibility!).

I might have to sacrifice J-Park, but I might also try to squeeze it in the next morning before heading out to Maple Hill. I have a problem, I guess :p

I might have to sacrifice J-Park, but I might also try to squeeze it in the next morning before heading out to Maple Hill. I have a problem, I guess :p

I just returned from a trip in that area and would highly recommend getting J-Park in there. IMO it is the best course in that area and fits into a course heavy DG trip better - very interesting land features and offers a more enjoyable round than Mine Kill (walking/undergrowth)

So, I didn't properly plan for family and hangover interference. But I have made it to Cooperstown at the expense of Parma. Cooperstown is the absolute sh*t and if you even kind of like baseball, you have to visit the place.

That being said, at one of the local watering holes in Cooperstown, I manged to run into some disc golfers and we're now playing Mine kill in the morning, hitting Maple Hill after that. Life is good, baseball and disc golf for everyone. And now I'm watching Field of Dreams in my hotel room.

Have fun at mine kill epic course. Orange to orange is a beast!

Latest posts