• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rocky terrain beat up discs?

bilemshious

Bronze level trusted reviewer
I'm heading to AZ to visit my brother this week. I've been looking at some courses such as Buffalo Ridge Park that are very desert. Being from Indiana and never played in those conditions I'm just wondering should I be concerned for my discs?

Hope this isn't a stupid question....

Yeah, I would be concerned, on the practice hole at my course there is a walking path that has a drain pipe that runs underneath that is surrounded with small 1 to 2 inch rocks. I had a bad throw and threw the Pro Katana that way and it spiked right into the rocks, picked it up and saw it has about a half int split in it. I have never seen a disc do that before. Maybe the old pro plastic, but the Katanas seem to be made of a much more durable blend. I would just buy some DX plastics if you can, just in case you are worried about ruining a Champ or Star, just keep a few in the bag, kind of like you carry crappy balls in your ball golf bag for water.

I live in AZ and can tell you that playing Buffalo Ridge and Papago will chew the **** out of your discs. I would not recommend using DX plastic as it will only last a throw or two. Buy yourself a few new Champion or Elite Z discs and use those as you won't be screwing up your primary throwers. On a side note, be sure to play Fountain Hills and Vista Del Camino. Both are great courses.

I don't think that rocks are too much of a problem for champ and z plastic. My home course is on a rocky hill and some of the holes are almost pure rock. I have never thrown star plastic, but I would think that it would get beat a little easier on rock, and pro plastic will noticeably wear quickly.

If you're only going to play a few rounds, and most of your discs are champ or z plastic, you shouldn't have any problem. I might get a few extra dx though if you don't throw champ and you are going to play more than a few rounds.

If you're going to hit it pretty hard, it'll be tough on your base plastic stuff. Buffalo Ridge looks a lot like the courses I've played in NM. (Baca and Ladera) They fairly shredded my base stuff over a couple of weeks. (I played most every day.) Now I use permium plastic where I can. If you're only going to play a couple of rounds, it may not be worth picking up new discs though. Unless you want some new premium stuff and the opportunity to age it quickly.

P.S. Bring a big water bottle, sunscreen, sun block lip balm and a wide brimmed hat. Having your lips and ears sunburned really sucks. (The voice of experience here.)

Damage is as damage does!

Things that could damage a disc: dirt, trees, rocks, sitting underwater for a month or three, your hand (if your ham-fisted), exposure to sunlight, cold, etc.

Things that will not damage a disc: air, wind, water splashes, etc.
So in reality, the disc is being worn out or damaged with each use until it becomes a flippy roller disc that you want to give away or trash.

Degrees of damage vary by user location. Levels of damage vary from a light seasoning (often preferred) to trashed. Dont throw your favorite discs into rocks as this could damage them. Or it could make them great (beat in).:confused: :wall:
If you have a new disc that you want to beat-in quickly, a rock crash or two may be just the ticket :thmbup:

Just use your disc that you throw with if they get chewed up and they will buy another!

I went on a trip to play in that area of AZ recently and it did tear up my discs. However, my brand new Star Beast was pretty solid and held up nicely through 45 holes of desert courses. As another member mentioned, be sure to hit Vista Del Camino in Scottsdale, it's one of my favorite courses. Also be sure to hit Spinner's Disc Golf Pro Shop just past Hole 12 on Vista Del Camino. It is a classy disc golf place with a great owner. Any place that offers $2 store credit for returning a found disc (inked or not) knows what disc golf is about. Enjoy the trip and happy discing!

I also live in AZ and play many of the courses that you mentioned. I actually do not have a "home" course, I just rotate through all the local ones. Your discs will get beat up, but just use premium plastic and enjoy the change of scenery. If you skip desert golf, you are missing another great opportunity in the game. I love Buffalo Ridge and Marana (near Tucson). As dstearns5 mentioned, make sure you hit up Fountain Hills and Vista del Camino. These courses are not desert courses, but they are great. These are the courses from the Memorial NT Tournament (with different layouts).

We'll see how adventurous I feel when I get out there. All of my drivers are Star or Champion plastic. My brother lives in Scottsdale so I think the ones you've mentioned (Fountain and Vista) are a must. Any others you guys recommend in the area or near the Grand Canyon?

Buffalo Ridge is probably the best course we got in the phoenix metro area, yes it will damage discs
but it is more than worth playing the course. There are quite a few realy good courses up in Flagstaff, on the way to the canyon. Make sure you play the Fountain, Vista isn't really all that impressive when not setup for the Memorial just make sure you bring extra discs as these are both water laden courses.

Last edited:

Latest posts