• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rollin' Ridge DGC -- The Structures

Does anybody know which teepads advanced will be using? Hopefully I can get up there the Saturday before to get a round in, but I know I will be in for a rough outing on one of the toughest, and best, courses in the state.

I don't know what tees are being played for the C teir in march but in the silver sup pros are playing the long tees and adv. the mediums (which are still plenty hard).

Thanks for the info chicken! I'm really looking forward to seeing all the improvements and course changes. Ive only played from the shorts though and that was more than challenging at the time. I remember looking at some of the holes from the longer pads and was glad I didn't have to attempt them. I expect to get beat up by the course, and my plan is to try and play safe and try to stay close to the fairway... somehow.

The longs are better designed than the middle tees anyway from what I remember, those middles have some odd lines and more luck dependent shots than the longs.

Coming Soon: DG driving "cage" (netting will surround the tee pad and allow players to practice their drives without having to retrieve them from several hundred feet away afterwards)

1002288_612640928769777_601708162_n.jpg

The clubhouse/pro shop will be opening around the same time in a few weeks from what I've been told. They've added so much out here that I had to update nearly every point in my review from last year (as well as bumping them from a 4.5 to a 5.0)!

That driving thing is really sick. I'll probably get to see the unfinished version when I go there tomorrow to play the longs for the first time. I've always wanted a way to warm up before a round there because there is not field to throw in by the start, and this is even better than a field.

The driving "range" is a damn cool idea. I might want to build one in my backyard now....

My plug -

Play Winter Park in Kewaunee too!

...still working on pimping it...

Between Rollin' Ridge and Winter Park, there isn't much else you need as far as courses. Playing both in one day, you'll pull out every shot in your arsenal. Both are very challenging and still very fair.

Is that waterfall cave that there building to throw through on hole 3 long(1000 footer) built yet? Thats going to be pretty alright I think. Iv never thrown through a waterfall before so I'm kinda anxious

I like the idea of that driving range to warm up or test some straight throws, but I still like a wide open field to be able to test new plastic or wind conditions.

Rollin' Ridge just keeps getting better and better! :thmbup:

Yeah, the Ridge is always improving and impressing me, truely an amazing place!!

Is that waterfall cave that there building to throw through on hole 3 long(1000 footer) built yet? Thats going to be pretty alright I think. Iv never thrown through a waterfall before so I'm kinda anxious

No it is not, but soon according to Steve and his wife. The Pro Shop and Bar are in to full effect, the shop has a decent amount of discs and the bar has a decent selection of beer. Pool table, Flat Screens. It's pretty sweet.

Course is in great condition, just a few mosquitoes but bug is spray is available for sale and by the box to pay. Pins are in the C position.

Also if anyone lost some plastic in the swamp on #2, they have a lost and found in the Pro Shop. Lost a TeeRex on #2 a few months ago before the bar and pro shop were open, check out the box and it's right on top. score.

AND finally mad props to Jason for filling me in on the current status. Had to check it out after a good round at LTC. Thanks bud.

TODAY September 3rd, 2013 I played Rollin Ridge for the fifth time . . .

The first time I played the course I was impressed. It was tight, wooded, and very challenging . . . all things I love about disc golf. That was 9/3/2011 on my way to Door County for my annual Anniversary/Labor Day weekend. My wife quit after 9 holes because the wind was fierce but she appreciated the course too. It was very solid in its design and the infrastructure had a good start too.

The second time I played the course was the following spring. It had just received a lot of rain and was flooded on the lower holes (4-6 and 12-14) but I still walked through the 6" of water to be able to see the whole course. I wouldn't have done that on just any other course.

The third and fourth rounds I played the course were for a PDGA tourney in the fall (4 months after my last round). It was a different setting and I looked at things completely differently even though both rounds were played from the same Orange (front) tees. Tournament play takes on a whole new perspective and I definitely felt slightly differently about the course when in tourney mode than in casual fun mode.

The fifth round (4th time) I played the course was just earlier today. This is is two year anniversary of having played the course and the infrastructure and the work that has been put into the course has been outstanding. I recently saw the course rise to 8th on the DGCR list and I felt I owed it to the course to re-review the course. I had previously given the course a 4.40 on the rating scale. It had a lot of what I enjoy out of disc golf and some pretty good amenities to go along with it. Then I see the amenities continue to improve and I was happy to raise my rating slightly because of that . . . but unfortunately . . . I still see some design flaws or weaknesses in my mind . . . there are orange tees that (although shorter) are harder than red tees. There are gaps that are simply not fair when considering Orange tee players (Rec/Int). Too many shots are left to chance and not necessarily skill.

Trust me I get it . . . it is very difficult to design according to skill and to know how all designs and basket placements will be impacted by all tees, but that is something that I have witnessed on other courses out there. That is something I view as essential to giving a 5 disc rating on DGCR. While I did raise my overall impression of the course from 4.40 to 4.65 . . . I cannot go any higher unless some of the design flaws (in my own opinion) are addressed.

I have heard the same complaints between Advanced and Pro level players who should be playing Red/Black layouts so I do not think I am alone here in saying this course could be better than it is currently.

Perhaps . . . Rollin Ridge will end up in the top 5 in the country . . . but as of right now I have it listed as my #13th due to what I view as fundamental design flaws (when considering tee usage by skill level).

While I have played most of my rounds from the orange I have looked at and even thrown some drives off of red tees and I did play 1 full round from the black tees just to know what it is like from there .. . perhaps I need to come up for a weekend and play the red tees and black tees completely seperately to give an honest fair opinion but I have stated how I currently feel about the course.

Perhaps another issue coming into play is that all of the course rated higher than Rollin Ridge . . . I have only played once!!!! Perhaps I would have given Rollin Ridge a 5 if my last visit was the only visit to the course. Perhaps some of the other top courses only had 1 tee allowing me only one chance to give a review.

Either way I find this course intruiging . . . made even more so when it rose to #8 in the country!

I do not feel my review is bashing the designers or the owner (and I know him from multiple encounters) but I do feel like I am raising valid points that need to be considered. I only wish I could make a quick road trip to play Brackets Bluff, Flyboy Aviation, Idlewild, Flip City, Blue Ribbon Pines, Rennaisance Gold, The Lodge - Island, Winter Park, Hornet's Nest, The Lodge - Moccassin Creek, Maple Hill, and Foundation Park . . . since all of those currently sit ahead of Rollin Ridge. I so wish a second look at those courses would help me be more objective in my reviews and my ratings of courses.

It will always be in question until I return to those courses to see them a second time.

Who is up for a roadtrip??

PS . . . no bugs to speak of today . . . while the bar and pro-shop was closed today . . . I saw it a couple weeks ago when I stopped in from a roadtrip to see if a disc had been returned to the lost and found . . . the bar is phenomenal, the pool table looks inviting for some post round wagering, the flat screens look nice, and the pro shop looks amply stocked to get you what you need.

They are doing things right at Rollin Ridge and I look forward to constant improvements!

I'm going up there in two weeks to throw the ridge along with winter park some other nearby courses. can't wait, this course was closed because of hunting season last time I was up that way.

PS . . . no bugs to speak of today . . . while the bar and pro-shop was closed today . . . I saw it a couple weeks ago when I stopped in from a roadtrip to see if a disc had been returned to the lost and found . . . the bar is phenomenal, the pool table looks inviting for some post round wagering, the flat screens look nice, and the pro shop looks amply stocked to get you what you need.

They are doing things right at Rollin Ridge and I look forward to constant improvements!

While I agree with you that I can't quite justify a 5 there based on the actual hole designs, the work he's done up there is truly phenomenal. The course still feels rustic and wooded, but at the same time the built up tees and the boardwalk and other bridges are wonderful little touches. That clubhouse was a really great place to hang out when camping there, especially during the parts of the year when the mosquitoes get really nasty.

Latest posts