• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Round Ratings

Great stuff, I also give it 2 thumbs up :thmbup:

My player rating and tournament rounds are all relatively close to the actual ratings. Great job and a very cool feature to add to the site.

blah blah blah
DGCR #8162 | PDGA #45197 | PDGA Rating 938

You need to update your signature line to:

DGCR #8162 | PDGA #45197 | PDGA Rating 938 | DGCR Rating 976

:D

You need to update your signature line to:

DGCR #8162 | PDGA #45197 | PDGA Rating 938 | DGCR Rating 976

:D

Indeed. ;) I was kinda waiting for my PDGA rating to finally update (I hadn't played a sanctioned event in two years) again in July. :p

timg - are DGCR Ratings just a straight average of all rounds recorded or is their some weighting of recently recorded rounds (maybe by means of dropping old rounds)?

25% of the total rounds used are double-weighted (always the most recent 25%).

It will use all the rounds from the date of last score you entered going one year back. If there aren't 12 rounds, it'll try to pull some older ones to get at least 12.

Last edited:
Started playing with this and here's what I conclude:

1) This feature may get me to enter a lot more rounds in my scorebook - I hardly post any of my rounds.
2) I will make a more conscious and concerted effort to ensure all info for my local courses is accurate... because that's the only way this feature can work well. I hope others do the same.

We need to record a "Thanks Tim!" video from all the usual DGCR suspects and post it on YouTube (maybe standing behind the hole on Hole 8). Then when we reply to whatever sweet feature he just added to improve the site, we can just link the clip.

....on 2nd thought, given the mugs this motley crew sports, maybe not.

Last edited:
My last PDGA rating: 901, DGCR Rating: 900. Nicely done :).

Though it is upsetting seeing all the rounds and noticing I don't shoot 900 I shoot 940ish rounds and 860ish rounds :doh:

I need to stop adding rounds, my rating keeps dropping..

Thanks Tim! Another awesome feature to this ever growing mecca.

timg - are DGCR Ratings just a straight average of all rounds recorded or is their some weighting of recently recorded rounds (maybe by means of dropping old rounds)?

Hi Dave242,

We modeled the DGCR ratings based on the PDGA method. Here's the little FAQ description:

Your player rating is the average of your recorded rounds over the past calendar year (i.e. there will be up to a year between your most recent round and the oldest round included), weighted according to how many holes were played in the round (e.g. a recorded round for a 9-hole layout only weighs half as much as a recorded round for an 18-hole layout), with your most-recent 25% of included rounds double-weighted. If you have less than 12 rounds for the year we will pull some older rounds to use in our calculation. You must have at least 5 rounds recorded to obtain a rating.

This is a great feature! Definitely gives me more motivation to keep score since I can now easily track my ratings.

It just motivated me to put in all my unsanctioned tourney rounds from this year while I can still remember them hole by hole. It will be nice to compare with next year. I'm assuming their is some kind of delay after the rounds are entered before it calculates a rating as mine hasn't shown up. I put in a sanctioned round too to see how that compares.

It just motivated me to put in all my unsanctioned tourney rounds from this year while I can still remember them hole by hole. It will be nice to compare with next year. I'm assuming their is some kind of delay after the rounds are entered before it calculates a rating as mine hasn't shown up. I put in a sanctioned round too to see how that compares.

That would be a Timg question.. I'm not quite sure how frequently player rating updates happen, or if they're pre-cached at all. You do need at least 5 total round ratings to get a player rating, though.. also, I think timg mentioned that you can't use the 'quick' scorebook entry feature to get round ratings. Does that help at all?

Edit: I just checked your scorebook.. your rounds aren't listed with hole distances, so the formulas function can't compute round ratings. :(

Last edited:
I'm well over the 5 though I wasn't earlier today so I'm assuming it probably just reloads daily or something.

I'll betcha ratings are calculated nightly as a batch process.

Whatever it is its a little more real-time than what the PDGA does. :D

Ratings are calculated immediately after every score is entered. You didn't choose a tee in any of your rounds Menacewarf so those rounds are thrown out.

I recently did the input on a PDGA event and incorrectly scored a player's 1st and 2nd round. When I corrected it the ratings changed for each round. I was shocked that one person's score could have that effect. The event was played on the same layout each round.

I also created a spreadsheet and entered every hole score off of the scorecards. it was interesting that we logically created a course par that matched the same average par as the pro average. I did many different spreadsheet sorts to determine certain things like average score for player's who's names start with the letter B. Oh yeah, i'm a weird dude who likes numbers.

Added a player rating field to the scorebook and also the average round rating per course. I'll add the per tee to the advanced stats later. I also have the same stats for the courses.

All the average ratings are calculated the same way as the player rating, I just pull different sets of rounds so it's not so much an average as your rating for that course/tee. I also ran the calculation for just the courses so you can get the average round rating at a course. Not sure how useful this info is but I thought it would be fun. I'll find spots for all the numbers tomorrow.

Latest posts