• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Roy G opened today

Geaver

Bogey Member
I was wondering what those that have played it thought. I read the one review, but was hoping to hear what anyone else thought.

im playing it tomorrow. i will let ya know :) waterloo mini at 9 if u want to come out.

from whatbive heard so far,everybody has had nothing but good things to say about the design and flow of it. its an amazing course.

the course is very nice. my review won't be much different than the first. i do like circle c a little bit better, but they both are very good. it's sad that pease is gone, but this course is MUCH better.

There are four 5 disc rated reviews so far, including mine, and they all seem to be legit, unlike most new courses around here where the designers and their friends all go on and try to get their course a good rating.

We'll see how kindly the locals take to it the first time an out-of-towner plays the course and 'only' rates it a 4.0 or 4.5. That said, looking at the photos, it seems like a pretty good course.

i only walked it (taking pics for DN) on the grand opening day, but i know Olse's design capability and so the fact that it's a killer fun/challenging course was a given. the only variable for me was the land and features that he had to play with. freakin' excellent. unlike any course in town! can't wait to play it... sometime this winter :)

One thing I noticed about the course that makes it different from most other Austin area courses is that you can throw distance drivers on most of the holes because the fairways are so big. This course is about getting the disc down range as far as possible on each shot. Other courses force you to throw fairway drivers and mids or land in specific areas to have a good second shot. At Roy g you have to throw far and accurate on each and every shot. I kept finding myself reaching for the Destroyer and I never got in trouble using it.

ill second that. i threw my destroyer alot more out there than i thought i would. it was a beat up star but still, there were no shots where i really wanted to throw a mid off the tee. it was always a driver and maybe a mid when i got to a certain distance from the basket . i love the course and the fact that theres no ****ing cedar. its a nice change to have tall trees with higher canopy's and actual fairways to hit. there are risk/reward routes on some holes and i thing thats great. hole 7 is definitely my favorite as well as 17. i didnt play so good because im still trying to get back into the groove of things,but i had some good shots through out that made me happy.

hole 4 for instance, i threw my destroyer on a gradual anny and parked it. thers not many wooded courses around here that you can or need to throw a big d driver on it. i like the mix of shots at roy g. ill definitely be playing it much earlier in the day but i can see this course being the best fall/winter course in austin. the heat and humidity as well as the long walks killed my energy but i had fun.

We'll see how kindly the locals take to it the first time an out-of-towner plays the course and 'only' rates it a 4.0 or 4.5. That said, looking at the photos, it seems like a pretty good course.

Our locals like good, honest reviews. Some of the best feedback I've got has been on courses I've torn apart and given a much lower rating than other people. Now if you come here and hit some trees and give the course a .5 disc rating because it is unfair then you will probably get some negative feedback.

I wrote a review today as did Sidewinding, go check em out for more details.

I would definitely say this is unlike any other course in the Austin area. It's somewhat like Wilco but with much better true fairways, and everything including the trees is just bigger and better. Also there are no short holes or birdie alleys like Wilco. The landscape is just so much different and you are never playing out in open fields with no trees around.

I think a lot of people are going to have huge expectations and then walk away feeling a little bit like they never experienced any signature holes other than the one with the cityscape and lake in the background (#17 I think). But this is because EVERY HOLE is so consistently solid you never feel like any of them blows the others away.

It's kind of a strange phenomenon and a bit mesmerizing to walk through. It's sort of like watching a great movie that is just really good all the way through but without that one classic climactic scene that leaves everybody talking. But it's also like one of those movies that nobody should miss because it's an all-time classic.

It's the greatness of the ENTIRE course that should be focussed upon rather than searching for one breathtaking feature or hole that leaves you astounded.

I do think eventually it will get 4.0-4.5 reviews by nitpickers who can't see the forest through the trees, if you will. I think the main "complaints" will be lack of water and elevation, and lack of variance from the short to the long tees as they don't change most of the holes so much as adding extra distance directly behind the short tee. But giving the property they had to work with, I don't see how you can give it less than a 5.0 just for the layout/design, benches/signs/tees, and true golfing fairways.

How often can you say you played a course with 18 legit fairways??

im betting because the course is hard,there will be some sour pusses that will rate it low as hell because they arent playing good.

its a demanding course and not easy.

oh, in regards to not much change from longs and shorts, ask some of the guys who played the shorts..they were saying some of the holes had better lines from the long boxes.

there definitely is a different in them. you have to play both to notice it though

Our locals like good, honest reviews. Some of the best feedback I've got has been on courses I've torn apart and given a much lower rating than other people. Now if you come here and hit some trees and give the course a .5 disc rating because it is unfair then you will probably get some negative feedback.

No, I tend to only give course 0.5 - 1.0s if it's too hot out, too windy or too stormy. I save the 0s for when I throw a bad round.

I have to agree with everything said here. At my distance bird are well earned here. A lot of the holes seamed a lot longer then what was written on the teebox. I started the mini Sunday on hole 14, and it took two all out drives and a good upshot to get me within putting range, and 15 was the same. Even the shorter holes took bigger drives just to hit the lines. Luckily for me my drives were on that day or this course can really hand it to you. I have to agree with booter that some of the lines from the longs looked better, but require even more distance with the same level of accuracy than shorts. I haven't plaid longs yet but that was my first impression.

A cool thing they mentioned at the awards ceremony yesterday was that the course qualified 100% for the City of Austin sustainable communities initiative, which means a few things.

Many erosion control features were put in including the rings around each basket and the pavers around each tee and steps going up steep embankments like after hole 1, and many more things.

All the rock features were created using rock from the property.

Many of the invasive, non-native plants/trees were removed and used to mulch the course.

The mulch prevents erosion and also helps the plants that are there retain water and be more drought resistant.

There are no trashcans anywhere on the course and there are no plans to ever put trashcans on the course. Pack it in, pack it out.

The course is virtually maintence free except mowing.

A cool thing they mentioned at the awards ceremony yesterday was that the course qualified 100% for the City of Austin sustainable communities initiative, which means a few things.

Many erosion control features were put in including the rings around each basket and the pavers around each tee and steps going up steep embankments like after hole 1, and many more things.

All the rock features were created using rock from the property.

Many of the invasive, non-native plants/trees were removed and used to mulch the course.

The mulch prevents erosion and also helps the plants that are there retain water and be more drought resistant.

There are no trashcans anywhere on the course and there are no plans to ever put trashcans on the course. Pack it in, pack it out.

The course is virtually maintence free except mowing.

:thmbup:
that is pretty excellent!

i can't wait to get down to Austin to play this course!

And we now have the first sub-5 rating in a review. I am sure it won't be the last. But here would be my response to that particular review by Lightning.

He gave it 4.5 seemingly for lack of elevation, lack of a hole under 275', lack of a Par 5 over 800', lack of beginner-friendliness. Now this is my assumption/paraphrasing, not his actual words. I can't tell you exactly why he chose the rating, only he can. So don't shoot the messenger here.

In my opinion, the course is definitely long enough already, and does not need a Par 5 added to make it any more special. I mean there are SEVEN legit Par 4's. Matter of fact, one of those Par 4's (can't remember which one) was probably tough enough to be considered a Par 5 from the longs if you really wanted to call it that way.

Also, when you consider the fact that this is a modern day Championship Course, it makes sense why there would be no holes under 275'. It was never intended to be for beginners but for advanced and pro players. More and more people are consistently throwing midranges that far these days.

If one wants more 250' holes, play Searight, there's about a dozen of them. Austin has enough shorty's at the old school courses (Searight/Zilker), and personally I am glad that you have to work for your aces and birds at Roy.

Last edited:

Latest posts