• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Other] RPM discs - New Zealand

There are three Kiwis.

Old ones were very flippy. Almost impossible to find

Next version very very overstable.

Latest I believe are mellower and easier to throw. I haven't tried them.

I've been absolutely loving Eric Oakley's "Building the Bag" videos and I love to see RPM represented, but I'm a little bummed none of them are sticking for him. It seems like he's already got a few molds that he's thinking about and has thrown before and is just throwing a bunch of other molds to kind of show them off (which is insanely valuable in its own right for sure!). I would just love to see a touring pro throwing a mixed bag rip on some RPM. One day.....

:popcorn:

Flex Line Media in NZ run a YouTube channel and tons of great players throw RPM there.

Look out for Jackson Sullivan, Simon Fraser and Ethan or Levi Stout (who's only 15 or so, but is an amazing player).

Although he is throwing a mixed bag he has been sticking with Infinite and Thought Space molds as his final choices. I'm glad them are getting more air time in the US with a touring pro. Not sure Scott Stokley still bags a Piwaka

Alright got to throw the Piwakawaka (glow atomic) and the Kotuku (atomic and strata) for 27 holes of golf and ~2.5hrs of field work over the last week. Overall RPM plastic feel and flex was pretty solid; my favorite was the Glow Atomic felt like champy star or older tournament plastic runs, Atomic feels like star/esp, may be a touch softer, and strata is really stiff no flex in the flight plate like Gateway Soft or lat64 Zero Hard plastic.
As far as flight goes the Piwakawaka is a consistent understable mid that when powered up needs height and hyzer to pan out and when powered down will S gently to 250ft. Someone compared it to a comet without the bead, and feel wise I'd agree, Piwaka is shallower and has a much thinner rim however. It's a great angle training tool just easy to generate consistent turn from various release points. Personally being a bigger arm and having bigger hands it just felt too small in my grip, I throw Z/Glo Comets and DX Rocs and prefer the extra depth of the beaded mids.
The Kotuku felt less unique than the Piwaka, it's really flat topped big shoulder, medium sized bead similar to a Mace/Wasp/RocX3. Decent HSS and moderate LSS would fight out of anny back to flat at 250, and would hold flat with a gentle dumpy fade at 290-305. Didn't blow me out of the water but is a workhorse mid type of mold that would cycle well. But it doesn't separate itself enough from the Roc/Wasp to be worth switching for me. Fun experiment with a new company, I'd recommend them to anyone!

I threw a glow Tepaku a few times today on a 65m downhill hole. It is a little deep for my hands and I turned it a little before it faded back. Nice flier but I don't think I need it in my bag.

Piwakawaka feels a bit like a flatter Stingray. Has the same surprising glide and distance for a 4 speed. Nice, since you can't buy premium Stingrays any more.

I threw a glow Tepaku a few times today on a 65m downhill hole. It is a little deep for my hands and I turned it a little before it faded back. Nice flier but I don't think I need it in my bag.

I saw the video RPM put up on FB and I'm really intrigued. It seems like a P2/Alpaca type disc. If so, I might give it a shot for putting

Just picked up one of the Eric Oakley Kotares...managed to snag one with the rainbow stamp. I don't even throw Kotares BUT I will be sure to find a use for it in my bag and I wanted to support EO too. I've never thrown RPM's glow plastic, but I love their other blends, so I'm sure this will feel great.

I guess I'm keeping this thread going haha has anyone thrown a premium Takapu? I'm curious how it has molded up. I know premium Aviars are significantly deeper than Dx and I'm hoping to only throw and putt one putter mold (I have JK aviars and dx right now, but would love to use a premium putter for overstable and baseline of the same mold for straight and understable).

I guess I'm keeping this thread going haha has anyone thrown a premium Takapu? I'm curious how it has molded up. I know premium Aviars are significantly deeper than Dx and I'm hoping to only throw and putt one putter mold (I have JK aviars and dx right now, but would love to use a premium putter for overstable and baseline of the same mold for straight and understable).

I have and it feels really funky. Pointy Kaxe like wing with a pretty big bead. I think it throws okay, slightly understandable under power but I would not consider putting with it.

Takapu at the top. then LUNA and P2 at the bottom

attachment.php

Attachments

• takapu.JPG
    takapu.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 53
Takapu at the top. then LUNA and P2 at the bottom

attachment.php

Maybe I'm confused, I'll have to go look at the disc. I got like 5 RPM at the same time and haven't thrown them in a while.