• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rubbing Alcohol for Removing Sharpie??

Use acetone, it works the best for removing sharpie and stamps. However you cant ever get all of the sharpie out of a disc with acetone, some of it will always be there.

When I remove a stamp from a disc its acetone and a cotton ball.

okay..i did more research. it doesnt wreck the plastic and if its fairly new it will come off with some elbow grease. yay!

take a dry erase marker and color over the sharpie. Erase the dry erase marker and watch the sharpie fade. May take several applications.

Just got done taking some sharpie off of this and removed the stamp with my girls finger nail polish remover.

547691_319960874733005_100001572843784_879905_687357354_n.jpg

Go get some acetone. It's like 1$ a bottle.

Rubbing wont help much, it will only help destroying the plastic. The reaction is chemical, not physical.

I know the op was more talking about for removing sharpie from discs. I am wondering if acetone would work to take off vulgar drawings and obscenities from the band on innova baskets.

I know the op was more talking about for removing sharpie from discs. I am wondering if acetone would work to take off vulgar drawings and obscenities from the band on innova baskets.

Go-Jo hand cleaner and a little elbow grease removes sharpie from the bands - I use it weekly at a course to remove the ink from idiots who got an ace on a 150 foot hole and want everyone to know. The more people see me out there removing it the less of it there is to remove, as I also ask everyone I see while walking all 18 holes to please not mark the baskets and to also let their freinds know to not mark the baskets as it is graffiti and illegal in most areas.
It also works well on tee signs to remove ink. As a side benefit, I also use it on the entire band before Events to remove all of the disc residue so that the bands look brand new.
Go-Jo is also cheap and easily purchased at several different stores making it available to almost everyone no matter where you live.

I use everclear to remove sharpie. It works great, it also helps clean a disc up. If you have a disc that no amount of soap and water will clean up, everclear will do the trick.

Sharpie is alcohol-based, like most markers. Denatured alcohol is the fastest and best, but isopropyl alcohol works fine, too (there are 70% and 91% versions sold, as well as "rubbing" alcohol, which is the 70% version and has oils and/or fragrance added to it). Acetone will handle most inks and glues, too, and it's usually cheaper than denatured alcohol...but a bottle of 91% isopropyl from walmart is only a buck. And then there's Everclear. lol.

The alcohol base can carry the ink down into some surfaces...like disc plastic, paints, and powder coating. So try it out but if the ink has been on there awhile, you won't be able to remove all of it most of the time. On the basket bands, I'd use solvent first before anything...GoJo seems like a waste, ounce for ounce, but if it works and you have it, cool. Some solvents and pastes with scrubby grit in it will damage powder coating.

No everclear in not only for drinking. It was never intended for just drinking. It is used in many fields of work including wood work, which I happen to be involved in...

Latest posts