• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

rules dilemma

joesouthfla

Birdie Member
I have just recently started playing tournaments and have started observing more and more rules violations. My dilemma is when and how often should I speak up if I see an infraction. I don't want to be the jerk who is constantly pointing out mistakes but what's the point of rules if they are going to be ignored. below are several examples of what I observed in the last 2 tournaments I played. Not sure that it should make a difference but I play in the Rec. division.

1. players not putting foot behind the mini, standing on top of the mini
2. foot faults during teeing off
3. excessive profanity
4. calling out wrong score multiple times
5. player card turned in well past the 25 minute limit
6. no penalty for incorrect score that was turned in

on occasion I have pointed out the rules for 1,2,&3 but have never called a violation. Number 5 I did ask the TD about it and he said since it did not hold him up from getting ready for the next round he would not give them the 2 stroke penalty.

So when to speak up and when to shut up?

Unfortunately there are a lot of players, especially in the lower divisions, that really don't like enforcing the rules or having the rules enforced on them. If it were me, I'd speak up, though the ones involving the TD are pretty much out of your control.

Most of the people that do all of the things you listed...aren't gonna place anyway so I don't care haha.

he said he's playing rec division.

that sounds like a real frustrating environment in which to compete. i even had an incident where a player tried to drop a disc barely in bounds and claim it was his drive. unlucky for him, his drop was still just inches outside of the line, so nobody really spoke up on it. but everyone in both groups knew what had happened.

i would try to have a statement made at the beginning of the tournament about following rules and calling people out if they break them. if you have another non-assertive group, try calling out the first couple infractions that you see and maybe that will set the tone for the others.

I say speak up, but nicely. I would assume that a lot of players in Rec. would be learning the rules while they play. Nothing wrong with trying to teach them the rules.

I try to be really understanding of newer tournament players, so if they don't know the rule I'll give them a couple friendly reminders, but I do definitely speak up when players aren't following the rules.

Most of the people that do all of the things you listed...aren't gonna place anyway so I don't care haha.

But being serious...they most likely just don't know the rules. Let them know but just be really chill about it...

"not gonna call you on it or anything..but just so you know...blah blah"

If it's a PDGA event, you can remind the TD to provide you an event evaluation form where you can indicate he did not enforce the rules regarding scores, for example. That might move the TD to act on the scoring problem.

I really don't know how to handle it in the rec division but I would explain the rules to them and tell them the penalties. If they continue to violate the rules you need to call them out. Remember you are playing against them for prizes.

We had an advanced player from another state move here and play a few local events in the Open division. He was a nice guy but whenever we played together he would walk through his putts and it drove me crazy. I asked him why would he continue to practice that way and he said he never did it in tournaments. Sure enough we were playing together in one of our local weekly events and I saw him do his falling putt follow through again and again. I was in no danger of losing to him so I let it slide. Later that night I created a thread on our club message board on the rules and penalties of falling putts. No names were mentioned but he went online and fessed up and claimed he would stop. It was brain control.

I say you should speak up. There really is no point in tourney play if there aren't any rules...plus, like others have said, maybe some of these people might learn something about the game too.

Just going down the list...

1. players not putting foot behind the mini, standing on top of the mini
2. foot faults during teeing off

These should be pointed out. You're only helping these guys in the long run by doing so.

3. excessive profanity

It happens, but we all have differing standards of what bugs us. Point it out though, because it does bug some people and when said loud enough, its a distraction to people on other cards.

4. calling out wrong score multiple times

This is something we all have to be firm with. That one stroke could be the difference between cashing places. Keep an eye on people's shots and penalties, and call them out if you think they're wrong. I admit its hard to do while taking care of your own game. I'd also advice people playing rec who have a good grasp of the rules to keep a second unofficial scorecard.

5. player card turned in well past the 25 minute limit
6. no penalty for incorrect score that was turned in

These are matters that the TD needs to deal with. Note the 25 minute limit applies starting with the time the last scorecard on the course is turned in. Not necessarily when your scorecard is turned in.

And yes, by pointing the rules out you may turn off a few folks to tournament play, but if the concept of rules bothers those folks so much, well, they shouldn't be playing tournaments.

That may be true. However I feel that that is a major aspect of playing in a tournament, was to follow the rules do to the minor ones. I made a simple mistake once and they called me on it and I readily accepted the penalty. That is part of playing in tournaments, to see how well you do with all the rules enforced.

cheater.jpg

I think giving the infracting players a few warnings on the rules in a nice way would be a start. After that I say start calling them on everything. Make sure they know the rules.

The only exception would be calling out the wrong score multiple times. I would call them out on this everytime. It could be the difference between winning, placing, and getting jacked for a prize completely.

I just moved up to int for my last tourney and unfortunately it was worse. In this case however, I believe it was being done intentionally.

IMHO, the best you can do is police when you can, but do it gracefully. Take the high road. More importantly, however(at least for me), is don't let it affect your game! If it rattles you, then you're getting screwed twice...once by the bogus opponent's score, and again by the hit your score takes.

You're not going to catch everything, and you're not going to stop the cheaters or slackers, so just focus on your game and play within the rules to the best of your ability.

Personally I struggle with this a great deal...this kinda stuff gets on my nerves so bad it can really throw me off. My goal is to play more and more tourneys so that I can practice THIS as much as I practice my technique. I believe, at this level, this is going to help my tourney scores as much as working on my driving distance...etc.

Some of the aforementioned issues are why it is no fun and a put off to play certain events. Who wants to play with the ignorant or cheats and be ignored by the TD, if you complain. In the Veterans park Funkytown Flyers ice bowl there was a stinking drunk group in front of us that should not have been allowed to participate. These were advanced player I think. We were one of the last groups to finish because of them. Watching them was painful. One of them was so out of control that people were telling him to quit making loud obnoxious comments while the TD was speaking after the event, not that he stopped. They were drunk at sign up and no one did anything about it. It puts you off coming back.