• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

rules dilemma

One of the things I'll do if necessary regarding scoring is rather than ask the player to call out their score, I'll say something like, "Dan, I've got you for a 4, correct?" Fortunately, in my division, that's rarely necessary. However, as we age, it becomes clear that summoning the memory of everyone in the group is sometimes necessary when playing those gold courses in the woods to remember all of those shots (cough, Iron Hill...:))

Personally I think double scorecards ought to be mandatory for rec and novice divisions along with specific instructions on the proper method to take the scores.

Very little obvious cheating occurs in the Pro divisions.
These are secret tricks used by pros once you get there, especially if you travel together such as the one mulligan per round.

Do you care to elaborate, Chris?

:popcorn:

Blatant, obvious stuff like falling putts rarely happen. On larger courses where the players are spread out to throw their shots I have noticed generous foot placements. All I can do is make my best effort to follow the rules to the best of my ability. I'm casual but will make comments to other players to be aware that i'm watching. I will also correct your score if you are wrong.

I would definitely mention the minor things to people just so they are aware but sometimes people just don't care :/. And always question someones score if you feel they are announcing the incorrect score sometimes people just forget their shots especially if there is a backup.

thanks

If it's a PDGA event, you can remind the TD to provide you an event evaluation form where you can indicate he did not enforce the rules regarding scores, for example. That might move the TD to act on the scoring problem.

Yes it was a PDGA 2 day event. I did not know about event evaluation forms. The 25 min card rule is really tough. I suspect the TDS would be more willing to enforce it if it was just one player who got the 2 stroke penalty and not the whole card. By the way when is a rule a rule and when is it a TD judgement call? In other words does the TD have the right to say " yes that is in the rulebook but...."

1. players not putting foot behind the mini, standing on top of the mini
2. foot faults during teeing off

I honestly could care less if someone on my card does either of these things throughout the entire round. Not only does it NOT help them in anyway, but to pay attention to what they are doing instead of focusing on what you are doing is a disservice to yourself.

3. excessive profanity

I find this comical most times, unless there are children around, then its disrespectful. It's fun to see fellow competitors struggle at times, and the fact that they let their emotions get the better of them makes it even funnier, and says a lot about that person!

4. calling out wrong score multiple times

In a division above Rec. I would consider this cheating. If they did it once, I'd say in a joking manner "looks like were gonna have to watch this guy!" It always results in a smile from the offender, and always corrects the problem.

5. player card turned in well past the 25 minute limit
6. no penalty for incorrect score that was turned in

These rulings are to be decided by the TD, not the competitors. From my experience, non-sanctioned tourneys will be more lenient on such rulings, where a PDGA A-tier, would be happy to dish out penalty strokes.

My advice; focus on yourself, master your technique. When you see these same cheaters next year, shooting the same scores in the same division they are in today, you'll be glad you did!:D

I used to feel uneasy about calling players on some rule violations. Then I became a TD. I'll enforce every one of them. I even make it a point to mention the profanity rule...pointing out that we're in public park and there will be other people, not part of the tournament, in the park and we are guests.

In lower divisions, I would assume that a lot of players are unaware of all the rules.

I definitely call ppl on incorrect scores..
the foot faults on the teepad don't concern me as much.. I get the rule and why it is there but I don't see an advantage to someguy driving off 1 inch closer to the basket then I did

standing on the mini, flipping your disc to mark your lie or standing to one side of your lie is very irksome to me.. I'm polite about it but I do make it known that this isn't the way to do it....especially inside of the circle

I see alot of foot faulting on straddle puts to get around obstacles and fairway drives where the player doesn't even come close to planting behind their mark.
And this is in all divisions and yes doing this gives them an advantage.
:thmbdown:
Alot of times this is due to not paying attention to where their feet are.

As I said at the Lexington Ice Bowl, If you notice rules infractions by fellow players you may point them out politely but don't be a jerk about it and cause fights. (for some reason Lexington is notorious for tournament fighting).

I definitely call ppl on incorrect scores..
the foot faults on the teepad don't concern me as much.. I get the rule and why it is there but I don't see an advantage to someguy driving off 1 inch closer to the basket then I did

standing on the mini, flipping your disc to mark your lie or standing to one side of your lie is very irksome to me.. I'm polite about it but I do make it known that this isn't the way to do it....especially inside of the circle

I always see guys flipping disks instead of using a mini. I did not realize that was a rules violation. It seemed like you ended up with the same line that you have to stay behind, so I never gave that one a second thought. I'll have to go look that one up.

In a sanctioned tournament or one that plays by those rules you have two choices on most lies. You can leave the disc where it was and just shoot from behind it, or you can place a mini and pick the disc up. Flipping or moving the disc isn't legal.

I always see guys flipping disks instead of using a mini. I did not realize that was a rules violation. It seemed like you ended up with the same line that you have to stay behind, so I never gave that one a second thought. I'll have to go look that one up.

you don't have to use a mini, unless you want to use the disc you threw. If you don't use your mini, you just throw where the disc is, really no point in flipping the disc over

You do have to use a mini when your disc isn't on the playing surface (e.g. up in a tree or bush), when you want to take relief from casual obstacles or ob lines, or when you mark after an ob shot.

1. players not putting foot behind the mini, standing on top of the mini
2. foot faults during teeing off
3. excessive profanity
4. calling out wrong score multiple times
5. player card turned in well past the 25 minute limit
6. no penalty for incorrect score that was turned in

In a perfect world you speak up on all of them. However, when playing Rec most of the time I'll say that 1 and 2 are accidental. Just point them out in a helpful way.

#3 is situational (to me at least), there's a difference between "cursing somebody/something out" (the course, the disc, the basket, another player, etc.) and just being frustrated and cursing yourself out. If you feel threatened by another players actions then call them out immediately, because they are then affecting your game. If you notice it bothering somebody else on your card, call it out.

I know at a tourney this past weekend I got very frustrated with myself and definitely had small outbursts (nothing major) but I tried to be quiet about it and react when walking far ahead or far behind my card so as to not distract them...

BUT #'s 4,5,6 should be called every time. I had a kid playing intermediate with me (he was about 14) who kept "miscounting" his score even after i called him on it - so I started counting his score for him and just marked down his actual score. That is an extreme example, but it was an extreme case - he was shaving 2 strokes off of a hole on multiple occasions.

There's no excuse for blatant cheating, no matter what division. Think about if you were on another card in the same division and you heard somebody was cheating but nobody spoke up. Wouldn't you be pissed?

You do have to use a mini when your disc isn't on the playing surface (e.g. up in a tree or bush), when you want to take relief from casual obstacles or ob lines, or when you mark after an ob shot.

well, yeah. I meant in normal play, not OB and whatnot

one thing about dg that really bugs me is "casual ___"

casual obs, or reliefs, or whatever, are stupid. play it where it lies, sissy.

this is probably only because all the ones I've seen were ridiculous. hole 9 at channahon, the clearing off to the right, just before the dense rough, was a casual ob in a tourney I played. so you could just walk out back to the fairway.

one thing about dg that really bugs me is "casual ___"

casual obs, or reliefs, or whatever, are stupid. play it where it lies, sissy.

this is probably only because all the ones I've seen were ridiculous. hole 9 at channahon, the clearing off to the right, just before the dense rough, was a casual ob in a tourney I played. so you could just walk out back to the fairway.

what the hell?! thats ridiculous. either its OB or its not. If its OB, take your stroke and get over. "casual ob"....:wall:

Latest posts