• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rules for Beginners and "Developing" Rec players

bopApocalypse

I'm "co-leader" of a group (can't call it a league :rolleyes: ) of new/casual/developing players, and have developed a reputation as "the rules guy", mostly by virtue of having looked at the PDGA rules once or twice.

Much of our play is super casual, on our little private 9-hole course, so things like OB or falling putts aren't a concern for most. However, we've got several players already who are starting to say "I'd like to play in a PDGA tournament sometime", or even just starting to get out to other courses and having to deal with Mandos, OB, etc.

Does anyone have suggestions for learning rules more in-depth than just "get the disc in the basket", without just throwing them at the full blown PDGA rules?

I think these two links cover it pretty well, but would love to see more if there's other stuff out there:
https://web.archive.org/web/20141208185006/http://discgolffamily.com/disc-golf-rules-beginners/
https://web.archive.org/web/20150203061752/http://discgolffamily.com/rules/recreational-rules/

(Yes, I know that the statement in the 2nd one about the 2m rule is now at TD discretion)

The PDGA rulebook itself is very simple. I would just direct them to read through it online. It will take 15 minutes at most and even if not everything sticks at first, they'll at least have a better understanding of the general rules.

I don't think the rulebook is all that simple, especially for a beginner. It seems 80% of it covers things that rarely happen---but, of course, have to be covered in a rulebook for when they do. A concise set of starter rules would be nice.

I don't think the rulebook is all that simple, especially for a beginner. It seems 80% of it covers things that rarely happen---but, of course, have to be covered in a rulebook for when they do. A concise set of starter rules would be nice.

Yes.

Cliff notes on:
- marking your lie
- legal stance
- falling putts
- what to do with OB, missed mando, lost discs

Just go over the things that would normally occur from tee to basket. Teeing off, marking the lie, taking a legal stance, determining whether you are in the putting circle, and holing out. Then on holes with OB, explain where to take your lie, different OB situations, mandos, etc. I envision this happening as you are playing a round, not in a classroom setting

Start with section 802 of the rule book. Once that's mastered, add on 803 and 804 as needed.

There's a good reason the book is arranged into sections in the manner it is. 802 is even entitled "Basic Rules of Play".

Yes.

Cliff notes on:
- marking your lie
- legal stance
- falling putts
- what to do with OB, missed mando, lost discs
^
Clinics on these sort of matters would go a long way towards getting people better acquainted with the rules.

Beginners become more comfortable faster when they know they are learning the real rules.

The lessons stick best when you teach them in context. Play with different groups and when a situation comes up, ask: "Do you want to learn the rule for that?" Word will spread when that situation comes up again.

For example, you don't need to cover all the Stance rules at once. When they are taking a stance by standing on their feet, you can show them the 30cm line that defines the lie.

Later, when they get in an awkward situation you can point out the options they have other than having a foot touching behind the disc.

The official rules may nor be simple for beginners and cover more than you need to to start out, but compared to other sports, they are very simple. In countries where english isn't the first language, it might not be the case, but otherwise, it really is a quick read. And for most people, it will be pretty obvious which rules are most relevant to learn to start out.
When beginners get to learn the rules from unofficial sources, that is when the "false rules" start spreading.

In wishing for a concise set of starter rules, I imagined it would be one compiled by someone competent. For which there is no guarantee, of course. It would start with the disclaimer that it is not the full rules.

I think a beginner wanting to try out tournaments would be more successful starting there, than reading the entire rulebook and trying to retain what mattered most---or reading no rules, but relying on word-of-mouth from friends, which is what most do.

The few times that I've been able to teach disc golf to (almost)complete beginners we made a game out of some of the main rules and etiquette - marking your lie, playing in turn, keeping score before going to the next hole. If there were enough people we turned it into a team race through 3-4 holes making sure that people threw in order, 2nd throws were in order of who was out, each person marked their lie with a mini and had their foot behind it, putted out correctly (no falling putts), and then wrote down scores & kept order for the next tee. Whichever team finished quickest won a disc/mini/something for each team member.

Found that way people didn't feel like they were doing something wrong and it was a fun competitive way to learn to do it right.

Latest posts