• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rules for players transitioning to competition

marcusmpe

So my friend and I are going to be playing in a league night for the first time next week, and I was just wondering what are some commonly overlooked rules by recreational players that we should be aware of. We've been playing recreationally for many years and played with basic rules but never really known the official ruling in a few situations. I've read the rules about stance and falling putts because I would imagine those are commonly violated. Anything else we should make sure we understand before showing up at this league and getting in trouble? The last thing I want is to put someone in my group in a position where he needs to make a call on me or my friend.
Thanks

First thing I'd do, is make it clear that you are not 100% sure of some of the more common rules, and ask who you are playing with for some help... chances are that they will grant you some leniency. Be sure to thank them for helping you out - it is a great way to learn.

One thing you may need to be aware of that casual players often times do not worry about is marking your lie - if you have a mini marker, the league may want you to use it 100% of the time, if not, you can just leave your disc lay... I'd be willing to guess that the league is not fond of flipping your disc to use as a mark.

marcusmpe said:
So my friend and I are going to be playing in a league night for the first time next week, and I was just wondering what are some commonly overlooked rules by recreational players that we should be aware of. We've been playing recreationally for many years and played with basic rules but never really known the official ruling in a few situations. I've read the rules about stance and falling putts because I would imagine those are commonly violated. Anything else we should make sure we understand before showing up at this league and getting in trouble? The last thing I want is to put someone in my group in a position where he needs to make a call on me or my friend.
Thanks

Marking your disc, taking your 1 meter in from OB line, even if you aren't OB take your meter. Don't move objects that are in front of your disc when getting ready to putt. Don't push tall shrub/grass/tree branches out of your way when you are doing your putt or approach shot.
Also clarify any "house" rules the league has. Some leagues slightly modify the course to make it more challenging.
Finally don't be afraid to ask a question, if you don't know or have a doubt in your mind it's against the rules. Better to ask and find out, then get penalized for it.

I had forgotten about marking my lie. I doubt this league will want the use of a mini marker all the time, but would it be acceptable to set down another disc where the mini marker would lie? I had gotten into the (bad) habit of just flipping my disc to mark my lie in the last few rounds, and I can see how this might irk more experienced players. Also, could I just bring any larger circular object to use as my mini marker? I'm thinking like drink coaster or something. I don't care if people are laughing at me either.

I wouldn't sweat knowing the rules TOO hardcore. Knowing the basics and using common sense will do lots for you. Just let the guys in your group know that it's your first time playing any kind of tournament style golf, and 9 times out of 10, they'll say something along the lines of "I'm not gonna call you on it now, but just so you know in the future..." if they see you break a rule. I don't know how strict or relaxed the leagues are in your area, but they're generally a lot more relaxed than big tournaments, so I wouldn't imagine you'd have too many rules nazis...especially since its your first competitive experience. So long as you're there with a good attitude, it should be be smooth sailing.

The one thing I'd be conscious of is to try to keep common courtesy in mind. That's been the one thing that's irked me when playing with people that aren't used to tournament settings. Just doing stuff that you'd normally do during casual rounds that you don't even think about...yelling to your friends a couple fairways over, talking to your buddy while someone's on the teepad, walking behind the basket while someone's putting at it, etc. It might be that the leagues you're in are casual enough that those things don't matter, but then again, maybe not.

marcusmpe said:
I had forgotten about marking my lie. I doubt this league will want the use of a mini marker all the time, but would it be acceptable to set down another disc where the mini marker would lie? I had gotten into the (bad) habit of just flipping my disc to mark my lie in the last few rounds, and I can see how this might irk more experienced players. Also, could I just bring any larger circular object to use as my mini marker? I'm thinking like drink coaster or something. I don't care if people are laughing at me either.

Mini marker is not required. You can mark your disc with the disc thrown, you just can't use that disc. But you should always mark your lie with something. You can use marking your lie as a huge advantage, say you disc thrown is up against a tree, you can use that disc as the marker, and stand 11.75" behind the disc to give you a better look at it.

Jaysus said:
First thing I'd do, is make it clear that you are not 100% sure of some of the more common rules, and ask who you are playing with for some help... chances are that they will grant you some leniency. Be sure to thank them for helping you out - it is a great way to learn.

One thing you may need to be aware of that casual players often times do not worry about is marking your lie - if you have a mini marker, the league may want you to use it 100% of the time, if not, you can just leave your disc lay... I'd be willing to guess that the league is not fond of flipping your disc to use as a mark.

I don't get the whole mini-marker thing. I played league for the first time yesterday, and I asked about the shooting rules. It seems like flipping your disc or using your other discs would be exactly the same as using a mini-marker, but they assured me both were against the rules. So I had to use my cell phone.

Id say just have some common courtesy and you should be fine. Like someone said above; dont talk while people are shooting, try and keep cross fairway yelling to a minimum, try and not be behind a basket when someone is putting (and also try and minimize movement when shots are being taken all-together). Most importantly have some fun out there. Just because it is for some money doesnt mean you need to be super competitive. Dont be yelliing and cursing when you make a bad shot, just go up to it and make the next shot better. Of course some yelling is ok but it's annoying when someone is pissed at their play 24/7 in a league round.

Mr.Bigg said:
Jaysus said:

I don't get the whole mini-marker thing. I played league for the first time yesterday, and I asked about the shooting rules. It seems like flipping your disc or using your other discs would be exactly the same as using a mini-marker, but they assured me both were against the rules. So I had to use my cell phone.

Legally you could have just not moved the disc that was on the ground and that would suffice for a marker. As long as you dont flip the disc, and dont use that disc, then it is perfectly fine to use it as your marker.

deaddisc said:
Mr.Bigg said:
Jaysus said:

Legally you could have just not moved the disc that was on the ground and that would suffice for a marker. As long as you dont flip the disc, and dont use that disc, then it is perfectly fine to use it as your marker.

Yeah they said that was ok, but I didn't really want to lose the foot and a half on putting.

Be aware. My biggest problem is I get in my own little world and walk past people's lies then they have to wait while I walk back or to the side. Pretty embarassing and if someone wants to be a stickler, a courtesy violation.

Mr.Bigg said:
deaddisc said:
Mr.Bigg said:
Jaysus said:

Yeah they said that was ok, but I didn't really want to lose the foot and a half on putting.

The discs are only around 8-9". The real benefit of a marker is gaining the lie itself. I don't believe 8" should make or break a putt. If it's under 30', then what's 8"? And if it's over, it's not like you can count 8" of distance difference. You putt the distance as it is.

If you choose to mark, you mark appropriately. If the distance isn't important, then you just putt from the lie. Either way, it shouldn't be an issue.

Mr.Bigg said:

Yeah, it's an honesty issue I guess. Theoretically, a guy could flip his disc when nobody's looking, and then flip it again when they are looking. Or he could mark his lie with a disc similar to the disc in play while nobody's looking, and mark it again with another disc. By using the mini marker or just not moving the disc in play, it's more obvious that you're not cheating. I imagine 99% of the DG community wouldn't even think of manipulating their lie like that, but I guess rules are made for a reason. I agree it gets tedious marking your lie and all that, especially if you're a foot from the basket, but rules are rules.

Oh, and as far as markers go, I once played a B-tier where a guy used a can of dip as his marker and nobody gave him any flack about it, so yeah, I imagine a coaster would work fine.

Tim_the_Enchanter said:
Mr.Bigg said:

Yeah, it's an honesty issue I guess. Theoretically, a guy could flip his disc when nobody's looking, and then flip it again when they are looking. Or he could mark his lie with a disc similar to the disc in play while nobody's looking, and mark it again with another disc. By using the mini marker or just not moving the disc in play, it's more obvious that you're not cheating. I imagine 99% of the DG community wouldn't even think of manipulating their lie like that, but I guess rules are made for a reason. I agree it gets tedious marking your lie and all that, especially if you're a foot from the basket, but rules are rules.

Oh, and as far as markers go, I once played a B-tier where a guy used a can of dip as his marker and nobody gave him any flack about it, so yeah, I imagine a coaster would work fine.

Folks I play with use their beverage as a marker as well.

black udder said:
Tim_the_Enchanter said:
Mr.Bigg said:

My partner and I used his dip can as our marker in our local league as well, and we took it down that week with a sweet AM paring.

black udder said:

the rules do address how tall the marker can be. A beverage would not be legal. Plus, you might spill...:)

Jerry R said:
black udder said:

the rules do address how tall the marker can be. A beverage would not be legal. Plus, you might spill...:)

Didn't realize there was a height restriction. It's our league and thus fairly casual. I look at the spill factor as incentive not to foot fault :)

Our doubles rounds are super casual. No one has any major issues with someone even picking up the disc thats on the ground and throwing it.
Tourneys are different..
But even in a tournament, I dont use a mini too much. I'll use a mini when Im putting and It'll move my lie 8" forward, giving me better footing around a thick root or something. But to bend down every shot just to put a mini down, I'm just lazy.

AciDBatH666 said:
Our doubles rounds are super casual. No one has any major issues with someone even picking up the disc thats on the ground and throwing it.
Tourneys are different..
But even in a tournament, I dont use a mini too much. I'll use a mini when Im putting and It'll move my lie 8" forward, giving me better footing around a thick root or something. But to bend down every shot just to put a mini down, I'm just lazy.

yeah, I usually just use my mini when I want to throw the same disc again... and it is almost always my putter.... I'll use a beer every now and then too.

Something that came up in my first tourney, was, when you mark your disc, be careful about how far you move the disc to get it out of the way. If you toss it more than 2 meters, it is considered a practice throw. Probably overkill for a league round, but since we're talking about marking your lie....

Latest posts