• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Rules Question -Any issues with this maneuver?

I've seen some people throw a shot and use the thrown disc as the marker, but instead of leaving it as is, actually flip the disc over, toward the basket. Ultimately, what was the front is now the back, and is basically the same marking position as if laying a mini down along the front edge, is this legal?

No, but it's fairly common in casual play. Either play the lie, or mark it with a mini. A full size disc does not qualify as a mini.

No, but it's fairly common in casual play. Either play the lie, or mark it with a mini. A full size disc does not qualify as a mini.

Yeah, I see it a lot in casual play. Thanks for the info!

I don't know why the 2 meter rule was abolished. Did it cost a pro some $$ because of they're unlikely luck. Maybe we should say if you throw it in a lake it shouldn't be OB either. These are obstacle's maybe we should put courses in big old fields like the Anderson-Dean Community Park in Harrodsburg, Ky. or Centennial Park in Wilmore, Ky. (in between these 2 courses there might be 6 trees <27 holes> within the course). Bring back the 2 meter rule and call it the 6' 2" rule.

another rule I don't understand is the way we use the metric system within our sport. America has the most DG courses and America doesn't use the metric system. How many times do you have to a newbie of how many feet a putt is instead of using meters or how far you have to be behind your disc when you throw. I never hear anyone using the metric system even when explaining the rules at some of the tournaments that I go to. This is a rule we need to get rid of instead of the 6'2" rule

The two meter rule is still there, TDs have the option to exclude it in the special rules for tournaments. Everytime I have seen it come up the two meter rule is always enforced.

I've seen some people throw a shot and use the thrown disc as the marker, but instead of leaving it as is, actually flip the disc over, toward the basket. Ultimately, what was the front is now the back, and is basically the same marking position as if laying a mini down along the front edge, is this legal?

I have seen one guy try this in a tournament. If he were even remotely close to winning I probably would have called him on it. As it was he was near the bottom and it was clear that he was not the usual tournament player. I could tell even though it was my first tournament.

Two meter rule bad: You have a fairway with a handful of trees. You hit one and the disc happens to stay stuck two meters up. It's a double penalty. You already hit the (censored) tree so your drive is already short. Now you also get penalized becasue by pure chance the disc got hung up in the tree. It's unfairly punitive.

Everyone plays by the same rules as far as 2 meters are concerned so I do not think that it is unfairly punitive. A bummer yes, but not unfairly punitive.
How about arbitrarily punitive. Say you and your buddy are playing a 300' moderately wooded hole. Your buddy tees and hits a tree up in the branches about 80' down the fairway that drops to the ground. Then you tee and hit the same exact tree in the same exact spot...and the disc sticks. Did your shot really suck a penalty stroke more than your buddies? You both hit the tree. It was just arbitrary dumb luck that your shot is still up in the tree. Say it's the last hole and you guys are tied. Should arbitrary bad luck decide who wins a (supposed) game of skill? If you throw the same shot at that tree 100 times TRYING to get it to stick you would probably fail. There is no skill involved in your disc sticking or not once it hit a tree. The penalty is the distance you are not going to get on your drive becasue you hit the (censored) tree. An additional stroke penalty for something that has nothing to do with skill to me is arbitrarily and unfairly punitive.

Correct. By using the thrown disc as the marker you gain more distance away from the basket and obstacle. But you must still technically have your supporting point on the line of play which means through the center of the disc. So just because you're using a wider marker doesn't buy you any additional latitude in the "horizontal" direction.

But you only have to have one point of contact on the line, and that has to be the furthest point of contact right? So I can keep one foot on the line behind the tree and stretch out either way with my other foot, and as long as it doesn't cross the line of contact created by the marker foot I'm cool, correct?

I have heard many players say... "it doesn't matter, it is casual" or, some locals with a thick Cajun accent will say...

dat dun madder.

Whew.

Principles are always important, folks... regardless of how stoned you get.
roflmao.

Sorry.

0.o

I only play casual and I don't even carry a mini. I usually mark my lie with my bag. same for most guys I play with.

But you only have to have one point of contact on the line, and that has to be the furthest point of contact right? So I can keep one foot on the line behind the tree and stretch out either way with my other foot, and as long as it doesn't cross the line of contact created by the marker foot I'm cool, correct?

Your point of contact on the line of play doesn't even have to be the furthest forward. You just need one point of contact within 30cm of your lie on the line of play, and no point of contact closer to the hole (or mando if you have one yet to go around) than your lie.

How about arbitrarily punitive. Say you and your buddy are playing a 300' moderately wooded hole. Your buddy tees and hits a tree up in the branches about 80' down the fairway that drops to the ground. Then you tee and hit the same exact tree in the same exact spot...and the disc sticks. Did your shot really suck a penalty stroke more than your buddies? You both hit the tree. It was just arbitrary dumb luck that your shot is still up in the tree. Say it's the last hole and you guys are tied. Should arbitrary bad luck decide who wins a (supposed) game of skill? If you throw the same shot at that tree 100 times TRYING to get it to stick you would probably fail. There is no skill involved in your disc sticking or not once it hit a tree. The penalty is the distance you are not going to get on your drive becasue you hit the (censored) tree. An additional stroke penalty for something that has nothing to do with skill to me is arbitrarily and unfairly punitive.
the answer is both your shots sucked yours just sucked a little more:). I can understand not liking this rule when it barely comes into play but when you play with those people where it happens a couple times a round and you have to spend x amount of time throwing rocks and climbing trees it makes more since , plus i think it also takes away some advantages of taking stupid risky shots so if you try to short cut tomahawk and it gets stuck you knew it could happen and you took that risk knowing this could either win the game for me or ---k me royaly and you were cool with that.

Personally i really like the 2meter rule i think it adds to the fun and unpredictabilty and risk reward part of this game i love i wish it was mandatory still. and as far as not getting your disc stuck i think that has alot to do with skill or lack there of.

Last edited:

Posted in another thread:

There are two applicable rules in this case:

PDGA Rule 803.04 Stance, Subsequent to Teeing Off

A. When the disc is released, a player must:
(1) Have at least one supporting point that is in contact with the playing surface on the line of play and within 30 centimeters directly behind the marker disc (except as specified in 803.04 E); and,
(2) have no supporting point contact with the marker disc or any object closer to the hole than the rear edge of the marker disc;

So it is possible, for example, to place your foot behind your marker at a distance of 30cm. You may then stretch sideways (say you want to throw around an obstacle in front of you) and your other foot, or non-throwing hand, or elbow, or any supporting point can be less than 30cm from the line crossing the line-of-play at the rear edge of your marker as long as it is behind that line.

In other words it is possible to have your most forward supporting point in front of your supporting point that is behind the marker.

If anyone has ever played Keriakas in Bowling Green - Welcome to a 2 Meter nightmare! Beautiful course full of large cedars that will swallow a disc. If your drive is up in one you are faced with throwing a 2nd shot front tight against (or under) a large thick tree that sometimes you can't see through. Your second shot is usually not going to be pretty, add the penalty to that and this course can be a killer. I've never stuck in one of the cedars but have skipped under on and that was adventure/penalty enough. Love the course - Just control those tee shots.

the 2meter rule dosnt care who you are or what you look like it has no prejudice or ill will. get stuck in a tree then penalty for thee , if your under 2meters then itll be sweeter than those who remain above the line stuck in a pine spending time to retrieve their find but if its you dont fret young lad youll be twice as glad and or nearly half as sad when the next one gets stuck but not from your bag.

thanks mashnut and eric! That's going to change my approach for sure to that situation.

Curious, do two meter rules applies to the whole course or certain holes chosen by the TD's?

TD - "Hole 2 is 2 meter, Hole 4 is 2 meter, Hole 10 is 2 meter, everything else is no 2 meter"

Player - "What? Say again, which hole is what?"

If they did that it better be on the scorecard... IMO.

I don't really see the problem. He can step out to the side with one leg to achieve the same result. I guess his mini placement was bending the rules... but I don't understand why he did in the first place. My drives end up behind trees pretty regularly... I just put one foot where the disc was, then step out with the other for a better vantage point.

Latest posts