• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Mids] Salient Discs Antidote Mid-Range

Ok let's try take two. First five paragraphs vanished. But In True fashion of a test, I will report my findings thus far and rewrite it all. Thank you Salient for the perty little pearl to test.

Main Character:
Pretty 170g Cryo Antidote

Setting:
Cold, fresh off 8+ inches of snow with some residual wind.

Story:
I throw max D w/volts 350' all things perfect 330' consistently. I throw ions 225' ish. RHBH

Antidote + wind + >85% (power) = lots of turn with no desire to fight out of it. With a power grip teeing off at 195' - 270' hole with wind coming at me from any direction it had a tendency to turn over when thrown flat or flip up right and ride right with various degrees of hyzer. Into the wind it never went straight or finished left.

With the wind at by back or direct side winds it was better for sure save a left to right wind of course. Right to left wind I could give it some zip with snap on a slight hyzer and it would flip flat, turn slightly and finish with the fade of a seasoned BUZZZ on qualudes. With a tail wind, power grip, and still upper end power and snap it would want to turn right for a half of the flight and then finish straight to slightly left. Powered fan grip would add more low speed fade but that is it.

Antidote + no wind + >85% = During those times of pristine conditions i powered up the antidote and threw it on all angles, nose up to stall out, and low to the ground to stifle the glide. It held its immediate line fairly well as it went into its turn it again drifted more right than I would of thought and finished with much less fade than I expected. An anny line was a turn over and with a near stable pull out at the end of flight, but the turn was quick and deliberate. With a neutral/flat release it waits to turn, and then turns enough to alter the flight path to the right a good amount and finishes straight during the LSS phase. With hyzer it pulls out flies flat with a slight right turn and then finally fades barely. It faded like it just wanted me to make sure it knew it did it, but with power it was rare. When i threw it nose up it still had this sick glide and a little bit of turn, lost about 30' and it gained .5 to .75 on the LSS. With a low throw, say 4' or so off of the ground, it really fights to stay up, but it can't overcome the low gravity line like it can the nose up. But it does slide really well on top of the snow.

Antidote + wind + <85% but >than 50% = This seemed to be where I started to understand what it could and couldn't do. As soon as I powered it down to a more controlled level it started to hold lines and fight for them against the wind. It still usually turned a bit and faded a bit less but it started to prove that it had some real potential when i was losing hope. Hyzer lines powered down even with the wind proved effective as it would flip flat and fly straight with perhaps a tad bit of turn at 3/4 flight. If the glide was right and the distance was right it would start to fade slightly. On an anny with that 3/4 power range it would start really showing what it wants to do for you and hold the anny line to the ground. It was religious about this. It only rolled one time because of a bit too much snap on my part. Take note = snap with this guy will activate a secret ninja turn that even Salient doesn't know about.

With a tailwind and 70% power i finally smiled. It flew flat, and then turned barely continued to fly flat and hunted chains. It was like shooting the perfect bullet. It exhibited very little fade, but did it in spite of me. Crosswinds seemed more manageable as well in this power range, fan grip won at this point, i put the power grip away and it rewarded me for it.

Antidote + no wind + <85% but > than 50% = Butter. Silky smooth groovy line shaping saucer goodness. This is where i started to think there may be a spot in my bag for this beauty, maybe. Fan grip from here on out, the antidote was just a missile it seemed to really like the 170' to 210' distance as I could let it fly without too much power and still give it a boost with decent snap and it would consistently fly flat, turn, go straight and finish with a sexy forward fade. When I say fade I barely mean it. I could do whatever I wanted with any angle throws, it was the first time it held a hyzer to the ground. This was its wheelhouse.

Antidote + <50% = Nice predictable straight shots with a slight fade. This is where it has a chance to fall into my personal bag. As an upshot disc. Where my tangent seems too beefy and my ion is questionable this disc would fit the bill. I can barely throw it and it will go straight and finish left, even in slight winds. half power or less for me, it does everything but still shows consistent control to fade, which is what i love in a disc, just come back to the left a tad. I putted with it a bit and it does ok if you like mids as putters.

Grip = Superb, you could dunk it in water and throw it no problem. I never dried my discs once in the snow round and it held great, allowed all the snap and the power with no slip whatsoever. Star plastic, ESP, Neutron SOFT, are some of the comparisons I would make. I would say if a neutron soft anode and an ESP buzzzz hooked up at the hyzer pub and had offspring, it is this disc.

Feel = I love the feel of the plastic and the disc shape in my hand. the rim and flight plate are soft and stiff at the same time. Weird. The tester was a Stiff - Test as labeled by the rim. I liked the feel but it does feel petite. The tangents that I have perhaps only 2-3g heavier feel like tanks compared to his. It felt like a very light 170. Almost too light. Thin and dainty is what I would leave it at.

Speed = I think Salient says it is a 5, and I would agree but could agree more with a rating of 4. But I have a noodle arm and am newer to the game. I only say that because my power cannot flip my tangents nearly as easy. Though when the antidote was flipping in the wind the tangents were riding right and in some cases diving as well. But less so.

HSS = There isn't any. It turns right. Period. If you give it full power this consistently is the case. Under full throttle and this can be curbed accordingly.

LSS = Well I would say there isn't much of it here either, I noticed some fade, but it wasn't a whole heck of a lot. Perhaps .5 but not a tick more in my opinion. So it is dead on in that department.

Glide = The glide is great, it wants to stay up and fly, it was meant for that, there was not one throw where I thought boy that just crashed. There is a definitive place where most discs i have experience will tell you, "I'm slowing down, I am about to dive and stop." This one seems to say, "I can keep going, I won't die I won't dive." Then it fights it to the ground. It wants to glide.

End result after just one preliminary day of 50 - 100 throws and field work.

This might be the number 1 or two disc that I would recommend to a new player other than a nice putter. This will forgive them ad nauseam yet allow them to learn snap quickly and effectively. It will forgive mis throws and respond to snap and speed like a jewel.
No official spot in the bag for this guy. I carry pretty much all MVP molds but the anode and the tensor and this could be an out of the box beat in tangent but that is about it. It is one heck of an upshot disc, and a powered down approach bullet. For me personally, it isn't a driver, and I want all of my discs to be drivers. I want to drive with mid ranges first and foremost, this won't do it at this point. Perhaps in the summer with better air temps and pressure.

For noodle arms, buy one, it is definitely worth the purchase for sure. For power dudes/dudettes, it is likely you may not have a place for this, it is just as likely that you can control it better than i can and may have some magical spot in your sheath for this thing because you can anoint it with special saucer sauce.

I will continue to throw and test it this winter and in the near future. If there is any new information I find out I will report it here. I hope this helps.

I don't know much about how this crosses over and compares to various molds at other companies, just an FYI if you are going to ask.

4-5/6/-2/.5 imo

Last edited:
Only takes 6-8 weeks for shipping.

If you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all.

Why? The Prometheus was an overhyped pile of hot cat crap. Not only that, the disc WAS several months late in arriving. The final straw (for me at least) was that the reason given for the repeated delays was "we're making sure the disc flies just right" and then it arrived and didn't fly anything like what was originally promised. Trust me on this, had Salient announced that they were giving up on creating a "longer, faster Teebird with more glide" (paraphrasing slightly) and instead announced that the Prometheus was going to be a massively OS driver I'd have pulled my order instantly. On the other hand, I'd have respected Salient enough that I'd be willing to take chances on future releases. On the other hand, after my experience with the Prometheus I'll be giving my money to other companies like Discraft, and MVP who have better track records with me. Taking legitimate criticism is part of owning a business, and what Hammer said was legit. Both Salient and Prodigy deserve plenty of flak for over-promising and under-delivering, and will have to live with that reputation for a while.

DiscgolfZen, nice write up

Thank you, it took half my day. The other half was spent driving to a nearest course, 35 minutes, to test this bad boy. And I filmed but the cold broke three pieces of my tripod and now it is a bipod, and I was too frustrated to rig something, though I will have video eventually.

But I got to disc golf, so I got that going for me, which is nice!:thmbup:

Haven't had a chance to throw mine yet, but my initial reaction was something along the lines of a Meteor.

This Cryo plastic feels REALLY good...I was surprised because I hated how the Prometheus felt.

I don't know about yall but the antidote filled a hole in my bag...still experimenting with the lighter prometheus but I love the antidote for short straight drives, easy hyzer flips and nice turn overs. Its like a river in mid form and has become a staple in my bag for sure. Love this cryo and hopefully the new blend of cryo will be just as awesome, not to mention the liquid version

I don't know about yall but the antidote filled a hole in my bag...still experimenting with the lighter prometheus but I love the antidote for short straight drives, easy hyzer flips and nice turn overs. Its like a river in mid form and has become a staple in my bag for sure. Love this cryo and hopefully the new blend of cryo will be just as awesome, not to mention the liquid version

... says the Salient Discs company representative.

I only threw it a few times yesterday.
not enough to make any difference about what i know or how i feel about this disc.
However I did put ink on it.

For everyone else in the universe look at how Salient launched it's products and Cmopany, dealt with Customer Service and PR. Over promised and under delivered. Always under promise and over deliver. I worked in Sales for a decade. You want to create positive energy AFTER the purchase is completed. Not just before. That is a recipe for disaster.

The Antidote sounds like it might be a good disc. But I will be waiting to find one in the used bin.

Liquid antidotes coming in January. These will be slightly more stable than their cryo counterparts, and should make for super straight flyers

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 90
Threw mine again today, this time alongside my dx stingray and it flew very similar lines, just a touch slower. I really like it and it will probably stay in the bag. For me it's a little easier to get a good grip on it, don't know if it's the rim or plastic but I think it's a keeper

discgolfzen, thanks for the review. I am looking forward to the antidote in liquid plastic.

I got an antidote in cryo plastic. It feels like gripping a stiff fruit roll up. The grip is pretty awesome.

Just got an Antidote in liquid plastic, and a nice color, and I gotta say the plastic feels pretty awesome. It resists deformation a bit more than than flx plastic, but is pretty flexible. Nice and tacky grip-wise, though I haven't had a chance to toss it yet due to work and ongoing winter balderdash. The feel and profile indicate, to me anyway, that this will be on the understable side. I'll add more detail after I've gotten some outside time with it.

Attachments

• antidote top.jpg
    antidote top.jpg
    127.2 KB · Views: 44
  • antidote side.jpg
    antidote side.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 37
Got a manila colored liquid antidote today. Rim feels just like my cryo flight plate on the cryo looks domier but not by much. Plastic feels great its a bit gummy. Cant wait to try it out.