• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Salient Discs Customer Service Complaints

Status
Not open for further replies.

iacas

* Ace Member *
Per Tim's suggestion:

If you still want to talk about the new bag, etc. then someone start a new thread about it and continue on in there keeping it on topic. If you want to talk about Salient not fulfilling their promises, a separate thread can be made. So those interested in talking about just the bag can do that, those that want to discuss and debate logistics can do their thing and the two groups don't have to commingle in the same thread.

This is that thread (the thread in bold) - for the discussion of the bag.

I have a lime green/grey on the way. I kind of wish the lime green was paired with a darker grey, but I'm leaving open the possibility that the grey looks better in person than the flash photograph of it (which can brighten/lighten grey quite a bit, particularly if it's shiny).

My go-to bag right now is a Contender (orange/black) first run, but I still use my Crunch Box (yellow/black) fairly often, as I sometimes don't want to carry 25 discs or whatever I fit in the Contender without them flopping around.

I'm hoping the Catalyst will fill the "medium" bag size I'm looking for - something like 16-18 discs without them flopping around, with two or three in the "easy to grab" section (they had another name for it, but the horizontal slots).

Im very interested in how this bag performs. I have a Grip L. and I love it. but I would like a second bag, or a backup bag or just something to switch it up. and at that pricepoint. I like it.

I am looking to upgrade to a backpack style.
The price is right, but am waiting on honest, unbiased reviews before I spend money.

Oh, thank you mods for closing the other thread.
:clap:
Hopefully this one will not degenerate into what a steaming pile the other one was.

I will make two points, and one will be related to the Catalyst so this thread stays on point.

1) You guys really should have waited until the bags were in hand to make another thread, instead of 30 minutes. Without a bag in hand, I just don't see how this thread stays on the rails.

2) The Catalyst does look to be an excellent bag for the price. It's a bit more boxy than I would like, but the storage capabilities and the vertical slots seem like nice touches. I will be curious to see how they hold up and how long it will take to show some wear on them. That will be the true measure of the bag's worth.

Email from Salient:

We know everyone is very anxious to get their bags. Thank you for being so patient. We received word from our freight company that the bags will arrive the last week of this month (November 28th) via sea freight. Due to this being a holiday week the bags will be sent out as soon as possible. They should be arriving at there new home (to you) the first week of December via UPS. A confirmation email will be sent to you when the packing slip is printed. Thanks again!

I have a lime green/grey on the way. I kind of wish the lime green was paired with a darker grey, but I'm leaving open the possibility that the grey looks better in person than the flash photograph of it (which can brighten/lighten grey quite a bit, particularly if it's shiny).

I have a grey/black on the way and had the same fears with the first photos that went around. This YouTube video showcases a finished grey/black and I think it looks a lot better in the natural daylight. Hopefully the green/grey appearance will improve likewise.

Edit: if anyone has better youtube skills, it would be nice to get the video directly linked on the first page...

I agree with iacas concerning the reflectiveness of the grey/silver color on the backpack BUT regardless we will now have something to wear while walking at night to make sure the cars see us :p

I am also concerned with the water bottle holders. Without cinches you have to find a bottle which fits tightly and you will not be able to use just any old bottle.

the pics on their website have 4 pencil holders, what will everyone use the other 3 for?

Well, if the bags turn out to be decent you could almost afford two (almost) for the cost of competitor backpack bags.

Now for them to get in unbiased hands for reviews.

I have a Grip L. and I love it.

I have a Grip (A), Golf Mahal, Prodiscus, a Crunch Box, a first edition Ergo, and three Contenders.

I like my Grip a lot, but my Contender currently gets all of the action. I like the putter pocket more, the extra disc storage on the sides, the larger storage up top, and the easier way to get discs out (the inverted pocket helps a little).

1) You guys really should have waited until the bags were in hand to make another thread, instead of 30 minutes. Without a bag in hand, I just don't see how this thread stays on the rails.

I disagree, and think the posts in here except yours are evidence that we're capable of doing so. Additionally, many have experience with PF bags, and their thoughts are relevant. Moving on…

2) The Catalyst does look to be an excellent bag for the price. It's a bit more boxy than I would like, but the storage capabilities and the vertical slots seem like nice touches. I will be curious to see how they hold up and how long it will take to show some wear on them. That will be the true measure of the bag's worth.

I think that, unlike with some cars, if you start to add curves you also start to take away storage and/or add complexity to the design (and thus add to the cost). So it's a trade-off, but since I'm bigger on function than form, it's one I'm happy to make.

I have a grey/black on the way and had the same fears with the first photos that went around. This YouTube video showcases a finished grey/black and I think it looks a lot better in the natural daylight. Hopefully the green/grey appearance will improve likewise.

Yeah, that grey looks okay.

And since you asked:

I am also concerned with the water bottle holders. Without cinches you have to find a bottle which fits tightly and you will not be able to use just any old bottle.

I've used two nuun water bottles as well as 20 ounce bottles of Cherry Coke Zero in my Contender for months without any issues. If they're the same height (depth) I don't think it'll be a problem.

the pics on their website have 4 pencil holders, what will everyone use the other 3 for?

More pencils. Can't have too many, and they don't weigh much. :)

I'm in about the same boat as iacas. 1st run Contender owner who was pretty happy with the bag overall, but only used it when I needed to carry 17+ discs so they didnt flop around. The digi camo Contender has held up wonderfully, and out performed my expectations in a heavy downpour during a tourney.
I really like the idea of the green/grey color, but went with the grey/black Catalyst because of that initial picture of the three color choices that was posted.
I seem to recall reading that the water bottle holders are the same as the Contender. They hold 32oz Nalgene snug without worry, but I use an insulated bottle with a paracord leash just to make sure I dont lose it.

I have a grey/black on the way and had the same fears with the first photos that went around. This YouTube video showcases a finished grey/black and I think it looks a lot better in the natural daylight.

Thats the best promo video I've seen for this bag. It actually makes it look a lot more appealing than prior videos. The bag itself is a little plain, but not to a point of being ugly. If I needed a bag right now, this would be close to the top of my list to look at. I'm still interested in real life reports of how it performs once people get them

To the OP: How is it that you've been playing <2 years and have like 8 bags? I don't think I've had that many in the 12+ years I've been playing. Are you destroying them, or just get bored and change it up?

staying on topic I concur with the drink holders, I could keep any size bottle in my contender holders and had no issues of them falling out unless I dropped my bag on the ground instead of placing it down lightly. Chris informed the same height and width of the cup holders on the contender are on the catalyst. as for durability that's the last thing I'm worried about, 1000D material just like everyone else :)

Here's the boat I am in. First bag was a Fade Crunch Box which I out grew in about a year. Upsized to the Fade Tourney bag but want a more sleak bag. So my first go with a backpack bag is the Cabela I got from the marketplace thread. Like it for what it is, just want a cost effective backpack style bag and the Catalyst is in my wheel house.

Waiting for my buddy's to arrive for hands on demo before clicking "BUY".

Reason I am leaning heavily to this one is cost. I don't feel comforable with the cost of the PF or Grip or others in those price ranges. So if this doesn't pan out after the hands on then may have to look at the No Excuses line or wait Salient offers for version 2.

To the OP: How is it that you've been playing <2 years and have like 8 bags? I don't think I've had that many in the 12+ years I've been playing. Are you destroying them, or just get bored and change it up?

I'm a bag ho, I guess.

The Ergo and two of the Contenders are unused, as is the Prodiscus. I've used the others.

At this point, I typically use either the Contender or the Crunch Box. Some of the others will be gifts, replacements should some wear out, or maybe I'll sell them some day.

I do think my Catalyst will be the last one I get for awhile.

P.S. I haven't spent full retail price, either. So that's made it easier. And coming from golf, disc golf is dirt cheap.

When I starter I used my Menards lunchbox for a bag, I then upgraded to a REALLY cheap no name dics bag. About a year later I had way too many discs for my little bag and upgraded to the Latitude Pro bag. I sold that and am now borrowing a buddies crunch box until the Catalyst arrives. Can't wait to give you guys an unbiased review!

You've bought bags and haven't even used them?

I didn't buy all of them, no. I do have bags I haven't used, though, yes. I'm trying to start the Erie Disc Golf Club, you may recall, and some of them can serve as prizes.

I sold that and am now borrowing a buddies crunch box until the Catalyst arrives. Can't wait to give you guys an unbiased review!

The Crunch Box is under-rated. I use mine fairly often for quickie rounds. You can fit a good number of discs in there, and there's reasonably good storage too.

my first bag was a fade crunch, that i still have and use often.
then i got a fade tourney, but it just felt very heavy, and did not work well when i rode my motorcycle to the course.
so i did a ton of homework and bought myself the Grip A -- love it - great bag.

my wife has the double nutsac now, but has started playing more tourneys, so she wanted more room for extra stuff
i showed her this bag, and explained to her how its being made from high quality materials, 1/2 the price and is smaller than my Grip A
so she ordered the grey and green for herself.
i think it will be perfect for her, as she only carries like 10 discs, but will also have more room for coats etc. and her stool, plus a bigger water bottle holder

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts