• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

saving the arm

jrod17320

Bogey Member
I have been playing for a few years now but have never figured out how people much smaller and weaker than me could outdrive me a hundred feet. To compensate for this distance gap I really was chuckin hard and wearing out my arm very quickly. Recently my form has improved so im putting more body into the throw and not just arm. This leads to more spin and better control for sure. So for those that can't throw as far as the big guys remember you can still get it out there if u learn the right form so don't throw hard and wreck your arm when better form is the answer. Also some of my friends throw monster monster thumbers with firebirds but that wears your arm so bad. Just throw a roc with good form and you will beat alot of players and save yourself for your 30's and 40's.

sidearms are great to use but if you overuse them it will strain your elbow and its just not good for your arm

I'll add some more tips as someone who has been through my 30s and 40s. A properly thrown sidearm doesn't cause much elbow strain. Any of the overhand throws scare the hell out of me, avoid them if you can. Throw drivers instead of midranges.

I have been playing for a few years now but have never figured out how people much smaller and weaker than me could outdrive me a hundred feet. To compensate for this distance gap I really was chuckin hard and wearing out my arm very quickly. Recently my form has improved so im putting more body into the throw and not just arm. This leads to more spin and better control for sure. So for those that can't throw as far as the big guys remember you can still get it out there if u learn the right form so don't throw hard and wreck your arm when better form is the answer. Also some of my friends throw monster monster thumbers with firebirds but that wears your arm so bad. Just throw a roc with good form and you will beat alot of players and save yourself for your 30's and 40's.

Agreed 100%. Through my rehabs I've learned that slower discs and easier throws aren't so bad after all. Plus if you look at your game like shooting pool, you'll play a better game. You current is all about placement for the next shot.

The other day it was really weird that I was felling it in my legs. Front of thigh and back of calf. Never had that happen before.

I'll add some more tips as someone who has been through my 30s and 40s. A properly thrown sidearm doesn't cause much elbow strain. Any of the overhand throws scare the hell out of me, avoid them if you can. Throw drivers instead of midranges.

When you say throw drivers instead of midranges, are you just talking about sidearm?

Great post, I'm 49 and have screwed up my shoulder trying to throw way too hard. It is all about proper form for sure!

Its just something I was noticing because I have increased my distance for both sidearm and back hand by just trying to be fluid and smooth. To my point about throwing a midrange instead of a driver, I just throw a Roc smooth and easy and it just glides out there in a straight line. You have to throw a driver much harder to be able to keep it straight.

Its just something I was noticing because I have increased my distance for both sidearm and back hand by just trying to be fluid and smooth. To my point about throwing a midrange instead of a driver, I just throw a Roc smooth and easy and it just glides out there in a straight line. You have to throw a driver much harder to be able to keep it straight.

I can throw an avenger SS easier to 250ft than I can throw a buzzz SS.

that just depends on your plastic and the conditions. The Avenger SS is just a longer faster buzz according to many people. My point is that it is just more accurate and easier with a buzz or roc.

I agree that throwing slower discs makes it easier to get distance without the strain on your body, but i still can't get the distance i can with my destroyer with my teebird.

Effective driving is a lot more like throwing a slow pitch softball throw than throwing a fastball for most people. Timing and smoothness are the ticket. I promise you'll get your first big D with a smooth well timed throw. I often get tired or desperate and try to muscle my drives. Having just entered my 50s I can tell you that is not a good thing. In the last 10 months I've torn a deltoid and a pectoralis. When you love playing and have to take time off for an injury of that sort it really makes you realize how important a nice relaxed huck really is! I usually throw the slowest disc I can and still get the distance I need. Throwing faster discs may make it easier to hit the distance but accuracy suffers. Disc down, throw smooth.

Latest posts