• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Saw a newbie with an XCal

mmmm, I love me some umptions.

Trolling in real life:
When traveling to new places it's fun to go to courses with a couple discs in a plastic bag, and let people try to give you unsolicited advice.

I will agree that people are very quick to assume people are terrible and shouldn't be throwing destroyers. I have had people tell me that "you don't need something as OS as a giant just to throw FH" or people tell me that "You should throw BH because its much better distance".

Then I crush a giant which crushes their dreams. Then I also FH putters on distance lines.

I get your point, I just think that in general, new players shouldn't throw destroyers.

You know why people would conclude that a speed 11-13 driver is inappropriate? Because the overwhelming number of newbs we've seen with them throw them nose up about 150' max, and many of us were that newb at one point. I know its bad to assume things, but that kind of thing sticks in your head.

I suppose the appropriate course of action would have been for MB to ask the players to crank off a few drives before making an assessment.

I am now tempted to buy a Barbie backpack...

Doesn't mean you'll throw like a pro. :p

I find it interesting what some folks use to hold their discs. A guy who plays in our league caries about 6 discs or so aroung in a plastic grocery bag - he's no pro or nothing but dude plays a respectable round.

Last edited:
You don't need to be the DG Police. But if they ask, you certainly should be honest about it, then don't expect them to take your advice, because most people are going to learn via trial and error.

Much like a newbie with an xcal, I flick Predators for 80-150' upshots, every so often finding chains--it fits the shape of one of my upshots, slightly thrown with RHFH anyhzer and stalling to a hard right basket scarer. Been playing 20+ years (am 66 years old) but it is my most reliable upshot disc. Would not recommend it to a newbie. I find that the Predator is a little more predictable than the Xcal for my feeble arm and mind for those upshots.

mmmm, I love me some umptions.

Trolling in real life:
When traveling to new places it's fun to go to courses with a couple discs in a plastic bag, and let people try to give you unsolicited advice.

I call that "weekend bagging". I feel like it's the equivalent of pool hustling, disc golf style. Of course, there's rarely money on the line....

I will agree that people are very quick to assume people are terrible and shouldn't be throwing destroyers. I have had people tell me that "you don't need something as OS as a giant just to throw FH" or people tell me that "You should throw BH because its much better distance".

Then I crush a giant which crushes their dreams. Then I also FH putters on distance lines.

I get your point, I just think that in general, new players shouldn't throw destroyers.

Just remember, I used to crush some of those Giants....

Back when I was a newb, the thought of stores carrying Golf Discs was just a dream. The local guy who designed our area's first course was the one who sold us Discs (his PDGA# is in the 300s). He made sure I had a Stingray.

Ten years later, I was confronted with the stark reality of a new player playing his first round with the Discraft Extreme he had just bought from a record store down the street. It was horrifying.

Your typical one disc wonders noobs. I've played through many a group where everyone had a Z Nuke Or Champ Boss. They typically dont play enough to care and typically offering advice won't work. I usually just let em be. Maybe they will get more interested but probably not. Every sport has it's casual players.

I love seeing a group like that at a 220ft hole, and I pull out a putter,and park it under the basket, and then tell them I just threw a putter. I usually get a look like this ------------------------->

I was that noob. Thank god I found this site before my new year got started. Through knowledge gleaned off of here I now only carry speed 9 or lower. It is so much fun to get up to a tee and have one of my buddies pull out a warp speed and be like watch this. Then I out drive them with a Valkyrie. Doesnt happen everytime but when it does it is soooooo sweet.

I'm almost always around beginners or casual players. I feel like such an elitist turd when they ask me about aces and they are all with mids and putters, on holes they can't get their champ beast to reach.

I always emphasize fun, and only interject if they really seem like they are hating the sport. I tell them to throw a mid and they tend to listen better.

I hype up Buzzzes as the best disc of all time any chance I get, just to get newer players to buy them and USE them.

I hype up Buzzzes as the best disc of all time any chance I get, just to get newer players to buy them and USE them.

I don't throw a Buzzz, but that's the disc I recommend to every new player. When I see them carrying one high speed driver, I tell them they can approach and putt with the Buzzz a lot better. I also tell them I bet they can throw it farther than their driver.

If they play a round with me, I'll drive with my Warship all day to make the point. It works pretty well. They see a bald, white bearded old man can do it, they assume that it's probably right.

I remember doing my research on which discs were speed 13's and buying them all when I got bit by the bug. I SHOULD have been doing research on which discs would be best for beginners.

In reality though, I would imagine that if you started any sport, and they showed you two items that you needed to play said sport, and one said, slow and one said fast, how many of us would REALLY choose the slow option? That is usually the case with beginners. Only when you start with someone who actually knows what they are doing can you get the proper disc and hopefully they can help you enough that you don't develope bad habits that you will have to break down the line.

I remember doing my research on which discs were speed 13's and buying them all when I got bit by the bug. I SHOULD have been doing research on which discs would be best for beginners.

In reality though, I would imagine that if you started any sport, and they showed you two items that you needed to play said sport, and one said, slow and one said fast, how many of us would REALLY choose the slow option? That is usually the case with beginners. Only when you start with someone who actually knows what they are doing can you get the proper disc and hopefully they can help you enough that you don't develope bad habits that you will have to break down the line.

The guys I helped the most watched me throw a star Stingray about 350 (wind aided) when their warp speed drivers dived at about 150. They can both beat me badly today. I feel really good about it.

The honest truth is because you responded like they are posters on DGCR. If you were excited about a purchase and you showed it off, then someone says "no, put that away and get something else" that'd be a major downer.

It's all in how you approach people. I first always ask how the disc flies for them. Let them tell you it doesn't work well, not the other way around. You will get much better responses out of people that way. Then ask what they'd like the disc to do, then suggest something that might work better for that kind of shot.

The error here is in telling them that they made a wrong decision, or that disc isn't good. That's internet forum DGCR condescension and it doesn't work in real life. Every disc is good for something, if you rephrase the question and ask what they want to accomplish then you can help them instead of coming across as bashing them.

Also...just from my experience, never tell someone to disc down unless they ask if they should. If I think someone doesn't have enough power to throw a disc I'll use phrases like "this buzzz is really easy to throw far" or "you can control this Mako more easily and it won't skip into the bushes like that firebird".

Just my .02 but it's all about how you phrase things.

So much silly bickering and this has been the right answer all along.

Latest posts