• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Scared to throw my discs and overthrow the basket

Ale 8

I am scared to throw my discs the way the manufacture's say they can be thrown. It is either because my form is bad or afraid to overthrow the discs past the basket. I only drive about 225-275ft no matter what my driver is. I think I have gone 300ft once (wind at my back with perfect form). So when I get close to the basket I always feel like I don't have good form in fear of overthrowing the basket and lay up short. I can throw my Vibram Ridge 150ft and only throw my Buzzz SS 150ft. It doesn't make sense that my mids go ust as far as my putter and my drivers don't go farther. I recently changed from RHFH to RHBH and have actually lost distance on my RHFH drives. Any ideas on how to get over it?

Be aggressive and try to make it. Especially if you are just playing for fun. Whats so scary about going past the basket?

I probably feel that if I overthow it, it means I have no control in my game. I would rather learn control than to just fire away and be 50ft past. I don't always know what is on the backside of the basket.

Control isn't as important as power in the game. Work on throwing as far as you can then control will come over time.

As you get more comfortable with your putter, you'll be able to range it a little better so that you won't go too far past the basket on a miss but still have a decent chance at making the putt.

The best thing you can do is practice, practice, practice. If you think you've practiced enough, practice some more. As your confidence in your putting grows, the less you'll worry about overthrowing the basket on a putt.

Last edited:
I found that if I have room to work the disc that my approaches are easier to range if I throw with hyzer. I recently did not follow my own advice and watched my Comet sail (on a line drive) 75 feet past the basket. Don't feel bad and try not to be impatient. All will come to you in time.

Curtis

Control isn't as important as power in the game. Work on throwing as far as you can then control will come over time.
Newbs: please don't believe this. Someone's a-trollin'

Just keep working on it with a putter. In the mean time, try throwing a forehand, overhand, or roller.

It's interesting we are discussing putters as a practice tool. I have been putting low lately and went to a short 6 hole course near me. I went there to get confidence back and that I did. I got my first Ace here! It was a round more to feel confident on how I drive with my putter than it was to get any aces. At first I wasn't going to count it but a friend/coach of mine said it was legit and count it. So the next few days that I go play, I will do more throws with the putters (R-Pro Rhyno, Gateway Magic, and Vibram Ridge) and use them more for these type of shots and not worry about my score or how far I throw them for the round.

if you are afraid to lose you discs, you aren't throwing for the right reason. also, slow down your discs until your control gets better.

Everyone knows losing discs is no fun. I would suggest using slower discs and perhaps getting some at a play it again sports or used sporting goods store on the cheap till you get more practice. That way you won't lose a bunch of money when starting out.

There's nothing wrong with overthrowing a basket. 15 feet short is the same as 15 feet long (unless there's some kind of OB or cliff 15 feet behind the basket). But at least if you go 15 feet long, you've given the disc a chance to go in...it's never going to go in if it doesn't get to the basket.

Now if you're throwing 50+ feet past the basket on an approach, I think something needs to change in your form or approach. Without seeing you throw, it sounds like you're trying to throw everything hard, which is not the best way to be accurate. Distance is so overrated in this game. It can help, obviously, but it does you no good if you aren't accurate as well.

If you never overthrow, it never had a chance to go in. Get confident at putts within 30', and you won't fear a flyby.
Edit: Camby, eh? We could meet up for a round at Avon or somewhere on the East side, and I'd be happy to share what I know (not much) :D

Last edited:
seems nobody's addressed why your drivers don't go much farther than your mid ranges, which don't go much farther than your putters. And yes, it has everything to do with form. If your discs are being thrown upward too much (commonly referred to as "nose-up") your discs will reach a stall point and fall down intead of continuing forward.

There are many great discussions and videos to help resolve this. Check out the Techinique forum sticky to get started http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=26165

Work on being smooth and having good control. Yeah it's cool when you hit those monster drives,but having control beats having distance,especially if you play lots of wooded courses and rely on upshots.

Work on throwing more nose down and you will see an increase in your drives. A better way to describe this is to try throwing your disc on a b-line as low to the ground as you can(you know without making it a worm burner). If the disc is still lifting up you are throwing nose up,if the disc holds that line and has very little vertical movement,then you are throwing nose down. Throwing it low helped me when I was younger and had no idea what I was doing. I guy told me to throw it lower until I could get the disc on a B-line at any height.Worked pretty good for me.

Plus there is many technique articles in the Technique and Strategy section that will help out as well.

i would blow past the basket (with my buzzz) often, before i started "throwing" putters
i went to a practice field with all my putters and found out which ones went how far when compared to my buzzz
now i can range my shots better

Latest posts