• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Schusterick close to falling putt?

I count 10-11 steps after he presumably steps past his lie, plus a lean toward the basket at the end. That means he was probably close to the circle, and likely got the group to agree that it was outside before he took the shot. Hard to tell for sure one way or the other though.

I'm assuming he was, but it doesn't look like a long putt, and it doesn't take him very many steps to get to the basket

10 steps, by my count, which--assuming an average length step--puts him at or near the circle's edge. The fact that the putt doesn't appear to be that long is consequence of lens compression.

Maybe he was inside the circle, maybe he wasn't. Bottom line is, the other players on the card gave him the benefit of doubt (805.1.A) and didn't call it.

I count 10-11 steps after he presumably steps past his lie, plus a lean toward the basket at the end. That means he was probably close to the circle, and likely got the group to agree that it was outside before he took the shot. Hard to tell for sure one way or the other though.

10 steps, by my count, which--assuming an average length step--puts him at or near the circle's edge. The fact that the putt doesn't appear to be that long is consequence of lens compression.

Maybe he was inside the circle, maybe he wasn't. Bottom line is, the other players on the card gave him the benefit of doubt (805.1.A) and didn't call it.

Exactly what I was thinking on both counts! Thanks for the confirmation.

As far as lens compression goes, that's one of my only complaints about the McFly videos. He uses that angle a lot. I'm sure that it's great for the players since he doesn't have to be too close, and is totally out of their line of sight. However, it does mess with the perceived depth/distance of shots. They sure are clear and pretty images, though.

The video examples ended up where every clip with at least 2.0 seconds from release to contact in front of the mini were deemed acceptable and those less than 2.0 seconds were deemed not enough time. That was strictly by their visual judgment of the clips, not by actual timing. I did the frame by frame timing after they judged each clip. Since the RC did not want to specify 2 seconds, what they have essentially told us in this self-officiated sport is you "know someone has demonstrated balance when you see it." And that means it appears to others that you have taken enough time before moving forward. It's definitely left to judgment. But those examples are as good as we have to go from at this point which is why I forced the issue with the RC.

Actually, I think it's the other way around. It's easier to see that a person hasn't demonstrated balance (i.e. fell forward).

I watched a couple of rounds of the Gentlemen's Club Challenge, and it struck me that Will's putt is very close to being a falling putt. He putts on one leg, then in one motion picks up his mini and swings his other leg forward. I know the point is to demonstrate balance before moving past your lie, and I really think he pushes it a little sometimes.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ni92M65bvQ8

I've watched at the video a couple of times, and when I look at Will just before he picks up his marker he looks well balanced, balanced enought to do a somersault if he wanted to. There is that certain something in his movement that is so easy. Yet, I do admit that he doesn't really put an effort in demonstrating his total balance. All in all, I would definitely not call for a foot fault,

Latest posts