• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Scorch

Archon, Tern, Shryke, Mamba, Thrasher, Sword, any number of other flippy trilogy drivers...

Is this going to do anything to surpass the above? All I care about is a little extra cheater distance. If I had any real power I would be skipping all these to be honest.

EDIT: Mystere is another one. Also I recognize that beefier Shrykes are well liked by all.

Archon, Tern, Shryke, Mamba, Thrasher, Sword, any number of other flippy trilogy drivers...

Is this going to do anything to surpass the above? All I care about is a little extra cheater distance. If I had any real power I would be skipping all these to be honest.

EDIT: Mystere is another one. Also I recognize that beefier Shrykes are well liked by all.

If I were looking for true "cheater distance" (who isn't?), I'd probably go with something at least speed 12. The Tern and Shryke are the easy winners for me of the discs you listed. You want something with with some turn and 6 glide.

Time will tell on the Scorch as far as sheer distance capability, but I feel like being only speed 11 could limit it a little. The Mystere is a disappointing mold, and IMO Innova should discontinue it. That disc brings absolutely nothing to the table.

Mine came in the mail today, domey like an esp Heat, hoping for a beat Wraith type flight and maybe beating in a little more as it seasons.

For what it's worth a Wraith is a speed 11 and a pretty nice max distance driver for a lot of people.

I received mine today. Sample size of one only so I can't speak to consistency between discs.

Grippy Z plastic, decent dome but not like a heat; it domes up with a flatish area in the middle of the flight plate.

Threw it in field practice with
Z Vulture
Z Avenger SS
Z Thrasher
Those are the 3 fastest discs I throw.

Longer than a Vulture or Avenger SS, very similar to a Thrasher in length.

HSTurn
More than the Vulture
Less than the Thrasher or Avenger SS

LSFade
Less than the Vulture or Thrasher
More than the Avenger SS (of course)

Each throw landed within about 5-7feet of the Thrasher, the difference is how they got there. The Thrashers had more turn and fade, the Scorch was a much straighter line.

At this early point I would call mine 11/6/-1/1

At first impression, I like it. It's in the bag, competing with the Thrasher for a slot. I am anxious to see how it flies as it gets beat in. If I can get the distance of the Thrasher with a little more consistency, it will be a win. Time will tell.

For a big arm, this is probably not a standout, for a noodle arm, give it a try.

I can throw a Thrasher significantly farther than the Scorch, with less effort and more control. Glad it has impressed some folks though, 11 speeds are good in general.

I put it right into the bag. I would call it maintaining cheater distance but not adding to it. I do not have to throw as hard to get the flex and subsequent fade, still ending with the same net result as the Halo Shryke and Halo Wraith I am using for max distance (380 wooded, 430 open field).

I was running numerous Roadrunners in this slot, everything from flippy Champion Glows, Barsby Star, and Halo to get all kinds of lateral movements and hyzerflips on my distance shots. The Scorch is a touch more stable than my Barsby and just under my Halos, but it is faster - gets to the target sooner - so less bad things can happen and I do not have to throw as hard.

Out in the open field, going for max distance, I had to be far more aware of wrist and release angles than I would with my other drivers, and in the end, I only matched the distance but did not get any more.

So, in the end, it makes shots easier, but it does not add anything new.

I picked one up from the local shop and have been throwing it on shots I'd normally reach for my proto hades. So far it's been beating my hades distance by 10-20' and it seems to take a touch straighter line getting there. It does seem like the hades will hold an Anny release/turn much longer than the scorch when I try that shape. If you're already throwing one of the fast flippy discs, I doubt it'll really do anything new and mind bending, if it's your first flippy distance driver it should work fine.

I have now had a chance to compare between several Scorch discs. Dark grey, pink, yellow & blue

They all are quite similar. Similar PLH, similar dome. Very similar flight.

For me, with my noodle arm, I get similar length to the Thrasher with more control. I don't doubt a bigger arm would get more length with a Thrasher.

It was good enough the Thrasher is already out of my bag.

Currently it has enough fade it has not pushed out the Avenger SS, but if it develops less fade as it beats it, I can easily see it pushing the Avenger SS out of my bag. We will see

Good question. If I had a Scorch I'd throw it alongside a Mystere. They seem to have the same flight numbers.
What is your opinion on the Mystere? I have heart its a "cheat disc" for some, but never pulled the trigger to try one myself.

I've got a pair of Scorches and have had some time to figure them out. Both have a nice dome to them. Great glide and they come out of my hand quite fast. Healthy turn with a nice fade. I don't have a distance comparison to what I normally throw, but they seemed to go just as far, if not further than my Surge SS with a similar flight.

For those wondering about the Mystere comparison, this is what the Mystere wanted to be, but never ended up being. I might still have a Luster Champ around here, and I'll bring it with me when I go back to the field if I have it. I'm going to guess the Scorch will go further and be easier to control from what I remember the Mystere being like.

Mystere

What is your opinion on the Mystere? I have heart its a "cheat disc" for some, but never pulled the trigger to try one myself.

Tried a couple. A champ and shimmer(?) star. Not impressed.... at all. The Mystere turns easily enough, but it doesn't glide very well, and has a really harsh, dumpy fade. I can think of many, many "cheater" discs that would easily outfly the Mystere. Stuff like the Tern, Mamba, Hades. Heck, even a Sapphire goes further for me. Mystere for me is something like 11, 5, -3, 3. Easy turn, but just a crashing late fade. It doesn't flex out enough to be super long.

When/if I come across a Scorch I'll throw it and write up a comprehensive review.

Picked up a Scorch the other day. It's pretty darn flippy! I would put it closer to 11,6,-3,1.
It's advertised to hold up well in a headwind... Not so. I was throwing in a mild wind, and it was super squirrelly. Great glide for sure.
Not sure if it's going to find a place in my bag. I was hoping it would be a bit more stable. Fun disc for sure, and easy distance for new players, or if you're looking for a roller out of the box.

I throw Thrashers for distance and the Scorch doesnt do anything well. Recently Ive been throwing both when I get to those shots to give the Scorch a chance. For reference I throw about 300-330 flat.

Scorch is much worse in winds, turns more, dies and falls fasters. Thrasher will carry forward much longer.

Scorch turns more in the wind - a lot more.

Scorch has more "bad throws" where it doesnt seem to carry forward at all. A bad throw on the Thrasher and it goes a long ways in the wrong direction. A bad throw for the Scorch and it doesnt go far, turns and dies, with the dome if it has any nose up it flops to the ground.

Also for me, I really like lighter weight Wraiths for something that will carry forward then dump left. The scorch is also an 11 speed but feels much worse in my hand.

So for me - the Scorch is wrong in every way compared to a Thrasher or a mid 160s Wraith.

I've been throwing the MJ esp run and I love this thing. It is a mantis that goes 40 feet farther. It has a quick turn and then enough stability to trust. It is great for shots I don't want to juice but need to cover ground. Just ordered two of the Z's, interested to see how they stack up.

Latest posts