• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Scorch

I've been throwing the MJ esp run and I love this thing. It is a mantis that goes 40 feet farther. It has a quick turn and then enough stability to trust. It is great for shots I don't want to juice but need to cover ground. Just ordered two of the Z's, interested to see how they stack up.
Does the MJ esp run have a huge dome on them? The FR run at least is really domey.

Received my production run Scorch in the mail the other day, Resistance discs had them.

The Z plastic felt really nice, it was the softer tacky and somewhat gummy blend, felt great in the hand compared to the hard slick first run release. The dome was not there on the production one, had a flat center spot like most Hades and Zeus discs I've seen. Took it to the course and tried it out on a hole where I had been throwing my first run, out of a short tunnel and the disc needs to move right some (RHBH), not really a turnover but more of an S-flex that ends up 25' right of where you initially aimed. FR Scorch does this well for me here, the production run, meathooked left into the other fairway...

Threw it a few more times and it just wanted to get left from a backhand, no flip up no glide nothing even on a force over.

Got home and compared parting line with my thrower first run, it's considerably higher and the angle of the bottom wing is more vertical.

I don't know if I got a fluke or if this is how they are coming out, mine is a reddish pink in case anyone has a different experience with other colors.

I was hoping this disc would be a slightly slower Hades, I trow one well but always felt it to be a little too much disc for me and was pretty excited to see the Scorch numbers when it was announced, I do like the first run though I would like to see it lose some of it's LSS, as of now mine hooks up more than the Wraith that I bag but will initially turn more, hoping that will diminish as it sees more use.

I've got a pair of Scorches and have had some time to figure them out. Both have a nice dome to them. Great glide and they come out of my hand quite fast. Healthy turn with a nice fade. I don't have a distance comparison to what I normally throw, but they seemed to go just as far, if not further than my Surge SS with a similar flight.
This was exactly my experience as well, I throw a lot of Surge SS from 166g to max weight, all Z plastic. Max weight FR Z Scorch is 25-50 feet longer with a very similar flight, basically a Surge SS with WAY more glide.

My clear/ pearly production run Scorch has a medium dome, it flies like a fresh star Wraith.

I really like the way the Scorch feels and it's long for a fresh disc.
I got rid of the slight flashing and now it's more of a straight to mild fade type of flight, maybe a touch of high speed turn.
I'm interested enough that I'll get a few more locally when I can compare them to the one I have.

The one I have has no turn to speak of (unless I anny it) and will fade pretty hard. More like 9.5/5/0/2 than 11/6/-2/2, definitely not the 0.5 old school flight number.

The one I have has no turn to speak of (unless I anny it) and will fade pretty hard. More like 9.5/5/0/2 than 11/6/-2/2, definitely not the 0.5 old school flight number.
Is it a first run Z? I'm curious how the stock run Z will fly compared to some of the first runs. My max weight pink first run is more like a 11/6/-.5/1. Very little turn even with 400' power if it's calm, but it dances around in a headwind a little. Pushes forward way more than my Surges.

I'm surprised that the test flight Scorch was is ESP, then they decided to release the first run in Z.... strange...

I'm sure the ESP would have been closer to the flight numbers.

Is it a first run Z? I'm curious how the stock run Z will fly compared to some of the first runs. My max weight pink first run is more like a 11/6/-.5/1. Very little turn even with 400' power if it's calm, but it dances around in a headwind a little. Pushes forward way more than my Surges.

It's whatever GGGT had in stock a couple of weeks ago. I assume it's a stock run, but I don't have the disc in front of me here at work.

My stock run also has quite low turn, more like -1. Mine is domey and fairly gummy. I throw (an honest) 400' and the scorch gets there, but not with turn I was hoping. I'll keep beating it in though, but it'll probably take a while.

I should add, I bought two from different retailers. They both fly the same, but that makes sense as they were from the same restock/drop.

First Run vs Stock

My pink first run max weight has a dome. It flys further than my Thrashers, straighter and with a lot of glide. The blue 172g production run I got is flatter, more stable and lands about 10'-20' short of the pink's flight spending on the line. It reminds me of a Vulture in flight. I ordered a red max weight production run and should get it in the next week. Looking forward to seeing how it compares.

Finally got to try a Scorch today. Mine is a first run Z, 167-169g. The disc is fairly nice looking, and I like the pearly Z plastic. Nice dome, too. Not flat at all.

The first thing I noticed when I picked up the Scorch was the very shallow rim. Noticeably shallower than most other drivers. Despite this, I didn't have any trouble with the disc slipping out of my hand. The thin rim makes the Scorch feel zippy out of your hand.

The Scorch came out of my hand fast and penetrated well..... initially. However, later in flight the disc seemed to want to stall and fade out quickly. For whatever reason I feel like the Scorch loses too much energy too quickly and dies. More on this in a bit...

The Scorch flies a gorgeous S curve. I got the advertised -2 turn, but I had to throw the disc fairly hard to see it. The Scorch isn't prone to flipping, and was able to absorb all the arm I had without dive bombing right and flipping. Max distance was probably 400', and I felt like I had to work hard to achieve it. The Scorch is NOT one of those discs that will float along effortlessly and give you massive extra distance.

Glide on the Scorch is slightly less than advertised. The disc glides fine, but isn't floaty enough to be a 6. Definitely not as floaty as something like a Tern or Essence. A Shryke I had alongside the Scorch today was also out-gliding it.

Late fade was way more abrupt than I was expecting. The Scorch would start flying a big, glidey S curve only to dump out way early. Just a very limp ending to what was otherwise a great looking throw. That seemed to cost the disc a lot of distance. The Scorch was at least 30' short of what I was expecting. No matter how hard I smashed this disc it simply wouldn't GO.

Conclusions: I ended up liking the Scorch decently, but I probably wouldn't bag it. IMO, the disc doesn't cover any new ground for the 11 speed slot. The Scorch reminds me of a Surge. Very similar flights. The Scorch will turn, but you'll need a pretty decent rip to see it. The disc glides well, but isn't floaty. Fade is (IMO) premature and harder than you'd think. The Scorch didn't achieve the distance I was hoping for. Personally, I'd probably step up to a Hades over the Scorch.

To me the Scorch was fairly ho-hum. It works, but not one thing about it really wowed me. Not as much turn as something like a Thrasher or Hades. Not as much distance either. Very similar to Innova's Mystere, but with slightly less turn.

Scorch is rated at 11, 6, -2, 2. I'd rate mine more like 11, 5, -2, 3. The 6 glide simply isn't there, and the fade is harder than advertised.

Your review sounds pretty accurate to where I'm slotting it in my bag also. I reach for the Hades when I want more distance and have the space to not be worried if it turns a little more than I expected. I reach for a Wraith when I really want to know my disc won't turn too much and want a stable finish, and I use the Scorch for shots where I could probably throw the Wraith, but wish I could throw the Hades. I can get a bit more turn and distance out of the Scorch than I can the Wraith, but it still finishes similarly to the wraith with that nice stable bite at the end.

Huh. I must have gotten a dud for a Scorch. The only turn I can get is when I put it on an anny line. I can't even compare it to my Hades or Zeus even. Moar Beef. Could be I'm just not activating the disc since I don't throw 400'.

Huh. I must have gotten a dud for a Scorch. The only turn I can get is when I put it on an anny line. I can't even compare it to my Hades or Zeus even. Moar Beef. Could be I'm just not activating the disc since I don't throw 400'.

It seems the first runs fly true to the numbers.