• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Score Keeping (Pro vs Amateur)

My course only has the pars (14 3s and 4 4s) on the Pro tees. Would I use the same pars at the amateur that I do at the pro? In other words, even though the tee is 50-100 feet closer, do I still treat it as a par 4?

Does the par change the way you add up the shots?

Yes.
Because if you get a 4 on a hole and take a "bogey", when in reality it was a Par... and then you go on to chunder the next 5 holes because you're mentally dejected about your "bogey"... (i.e. what should have been your Par)... then Par does matter. So, no it doesn't change the way you add up the shots, but it does matter.

To answer the OP's question:
Usually the short tees are the same Par as the long tees, provided the skill level of the player is aligned with the tee.

DSCJNKY

Yes.
Because if you get a 4 on a hole and take a "bogey", when in reality it was a Par... and then you go on to chunder the next 5 holes because you're mentally dejected about your "bogey"... (i.e. what should have been your Par)... then Par does matter. So, no it doesn't change the way you add up the shots, but it does matter.

To answer the OP's question:
Usually the short tees are the same Par as the long tees, provided the skill level of the player is aligned with the tee.

DSCJNKY

There's the answer I'm looking for.

bogey or not, it really doesn't matter. If I take a 4 on a hole, and know I couldn't have done any better, it doesn't matter if it's a par 3, 4, or 5. I scored a 4 and only I know if I could have done better or not. Straight from the champ himself (quote is probably not exactly correct but you get the idea), "I go out there and play to beat the course, not my opponent". If you are worrying about the past holes to the point of screwing up the ones you are currently throwing, you need to work on your mental game.

Also, I can think of 2 holes locally where the pro tee is a different par than the am, so it isn't always the case.

Just make it easy on yourself, everything is par 3!

Also, I can think of 2 holes locally where the pro tee is a different par than the am, so it isn't always the case.

Just make it easy on yourself, everything is par 3!

I hear you but...a 700 foot par 3 is not making it easy on myself! haha

And to the smart alecs...I know it has no bearing on a final "added up" score. You ever think someone could prefer to just keep track of the score by adding/subtracting from even, ending with looking at their score as X over/under par instead of total shots? Wow, what a concept...

And to the smart alecs...I know it has no bearing on a final "added up" score. You ever think someone could prefer to just keep track of the score by adding/subtracting from even, ending with looking at their score as X over/under par instead of total shots? Wow, what a concept...

The problem is that there is no real answer to your question. Just opinions. You asked for them. :doh:

I refer to my score (usually on my home course) at how many under or over I am. However all the holes are par 3. I would personally like to know how many shots is par on a hole. It helps me plan and makes me feel more comfortable knowing what I am doing.

The problem is that there is no real answer to your question. Just opinions. You asked for them. :doh:

What??? It's not an opinion question at all. I'm sure what he wants to know is what is the par from the short tees in tournaments and such? That's not opinion, it's fact. Also I know that it doesn't matter for your overall strokes, but if you look at many of the tournament results on the PDGA website player's scores are marked down as -20, -12, -10 etc. So how does that not matter? If you want to compare your score to people who have played tournaments there, how can you if you have no idea what the par is?

what?

Numbers hold bearing in pretty much global knowledge and language. Just write down the number of throws you took and there will be no issue what-so-ever.

What??? It's not an opinion question at all. I'm sure what he wants to know is what is the par from the short tees in tournaments and such? That's not opinion, it's fact. Also I know that it doesn't matter for your overall strokes, but if you look at many of the tournament results on the PDGA website player's scores are marked down as -20, -12, -10 etc. So how does that not matter? If you want to compare your score to people who have played tournaments there, how can you if you have no idea what the par is?

exactly.

I can't make out if you other guys are serious. Are you serious? It's stupid to want to know what par is on a course? If par on an 18 hole course is 54 and I shoot a 56 yep I just shot a 56. You guy are smart on that point, I'll give that to you. But if par is 54 on a course I want to shoot 52 or less not 56 or more, so yes par does matter when I am trying to 'beat the course' or to evaluate how I played against the average, or as they say against what is 'par'. jeeze.

I can't answer what is the right answer to the original question, but I can say most people I know play par 3 on every hole. 150ft or 750 ft. par 3, so if unsure just call them all three and go from there. You might bogey that 750 footer, but you hopefully make it up on the 150 footer or other holes...

Anyway, call 'em 3's when in doubt is what I say (still not the answer to the original question I know)

That works if you only play by yourself and one course. When you play more course that have different pars and what not when you say "I shot 5 over" it is hit or miss if anyone actually knows what you shot.

This is especially true in tournaments. Don't know how many times I have seen this

Bob: "What did you shoot?"
Jim: "6 Over"
Bob: "So you shot a 60?"
Jim: "No, I shot a 62."
:wall:

If you just remember the number it is easier for everyone. If you you want to keep score in your head make every hole a par 3. End of the round add/subtract whatever you had to 54.

Also for me it doesn't matter if the hole is listed as 3,4,5 etc. If it is marked as a par 4 and I know I should easily 3 it then for me that is a par 3. And if I take a 4 on it I don't try and make myself feel better by saying it was a par 4 because I know for my skill I should have easily taken a 3.

Last edited:
My course only has the pars (14 3s and 4 4s) on the Pro tees. Would I use the same pars at the amateur that I do at the pro? In other words, even though the tee is 50-100 feet closer, do I still treat it as a par 4?

I don't see any mention of tournaments at all. I read it to be more of a question about casual rounds at a course that only has listed pars for the long tees, but nothing listed for the shorter tees. Maybe I'm wrong. Whatever. Fine then. The answer is yes. Use the same pars. Although all 3s would be better. ;)

PS

The PDGA only lists +/- par on unofficial results, although they also show total scores as well. When they are made official it only shows total score. So there goes that argument. :doh:

examples:
http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/62467
http://www.pdga.com/tournament_results/61924/Open

Last edited:
And so, one of disc golfs eternal arguments continues! Playing them all as three's just makes it easier to keep score. But as it has been discussed already, you still have the same score (# of throws), no matter what the par is. If you feel the need to play with inflated par levels to feel good about yourself, go ahead! If you want to argue about it, sure, why not! It just seems somewhat pointless to me.

If par on an 18 hole course is 54 and I shoot a 56 yep I just shot a 56. You guy are smart on that point, I'll give that to you. But if par is 54 on a course I want to shoot 52 or less not 56 or more, so yes par does matter when I am trying to 'beat the course' or to evaluate how I played against the average, or as they say against what is 'par'. jeeze.

If it means that much to you, make up your own par.

From those that I play with, the general consensus is play everything as a 3. Even your 750' holes.

You talk about one course. Play it however you want. If you keep your scoring consistant, you will be able to look at your score and compare it to previous rounds. For me, I know that if I shoot what I call half bogey or basically +.5 strokes per hole on a new course, I'm happy. As for courses I play on the regular, I know what a good score for me is and what a bad one is.

Keep in mind I play only casually so if you are talking about comparing to tournement scoring you are beyond my realm of knowledge.