• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Search Question: What percentage of courses have 3 or more pin locations?

DiscMeCrazy

I am working on a proposal for the installation of a new local disc golf course. It would be helpful for me to know what percentage of courses utilize 3 or more possible pin placements per hole. I see that 573/1856 18+ hole courses have 2 or more placements. Is there anyway to modify the search for 3+ placements on 18 hole courses? Maybe an administrator could perform a more advanced search of the database for me? Thanks!!

There's no field in the database that tracks whether multiple pin placements means 2 or 3+, it's just a checkbox in the course info for multiple or single pin placements. My ballpark estimate based on 656 courses played is that only a small percentage of courses have 3+ placements per hole, maybe only 20-30 that I've played fit that description (3-5%).

If you want a really successful individual example, check out Morley Field in San Diego, they have 3-10 pin positions per hole, and are generally recognized as the busiest course out there despite a fee to play.

I would agree with Mashnut's 3% estimate on this having played 600. There are some courses with mostly two pin locations that might have a third on one or two holes only used for tournaments, but not a third on most holes.

With nearly 600 played, I agree with the above statements.
It is one of the waves of the future though. Be a leader in this regard; and sell it as such. You would probably be better served getting the sleeves up front; but, at least waiting to install the third set, for a year or two; until further examples of course play dynamics have been observed.

One other comment, please make sure your signage is planned with a way to indicate current pin positions, especially if there are blind shots.

^^^This is something more courses will be moving to (and need to); as well.

One other note is that the more pin positions, the more time the land around locations has to heal; and not just be a worn spot; on the course.

From some old research I did on 2000 courses a few years ago, we had 6.4 percent had 3 or more pin placements.

This is very helpful. Thanks, everyone. Yes, there will be a lock on each tee sign indicating which placement is being used. It looks like we'll be going with 4 placements after all mainly to reduce erosion and wear n tear on the course. Morley Field was a good suggestion, too! :thmbup:

From the courses I have played(not many), Only a couple of the courses has 3 pin locations and it's only on the 450-700ft holes(based on pin location)

You'd also have to consider there are courses that may have 3+ on some holes, but not all of them. Would that count?

A brief check shows none of the courses within 50 miles of me qualifies, and I don't think any course in South Carolina does. Crooked Creek has a few holes with 3 pin placements, and that may be it.

I also did a local search and found that a nearby course that has a few 3+ placements wasn't even listed as having multiples at all. You have to wonder how many of the listings here may be wrong or outdated due to course upgrades that didn't get documented.

Latest posts