• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Seattle April 1/2 and April 8.

Stardoggy

**SuIciDe AnKles**
Diamond level trusted reviewer
Premium Member
Hello Pacific NW'ers.

I'm going to be in Seattle overnight this Saturday (April 1/2) and back in on the 8th, and am going to be trying to bag as much as I can.

What I'm looking to find out, are there any courses in the area that are unplayable right now?

My plan is to play around the airport on Saturday (flight gets in around 1030) and stay in Lynnwood that night, then bag during my drive to the Kelowna, BC area. Drive back on the 7th, and play the Fort Steilacoom area on the 8th.

I just don't want to waste time heading to places that I can't play, or don't want to deal with.

I can't think of anything that would be unplayable. Occasionally, some areas at Lakewood will be underwater after real heavy rain, and Lake Fenwick gets a bit swampy, but there shouldn't be anything you can't play.

This has been the soggiest Feb/Mar in the 21 years I have lived near Seattle.

For course bagging, avoid Juel and Lk Fenwick (both tend to retain water). I would try to hit Tall Firs (P2P $5/day) in Monroe if it fits in your plans. Never been, but it is on my short list for this year.

[EDIT] Where is sillybizz when ya need him? He knows that area better than most.

Last edited:
I might be in the Seattle area for a few days in May, but are more interested in the Kitsap County area courses. Any info on the play-ability of those courses in mid May would be greatly appreciated.

Lakewood and SeaTac are a must if staying near Seattle. From Lynwood, you could quickly hit silver lake in Everett, which is close to Lynwood. You could also hit up Terrace Creek in Mountlake Terrace. However, the back nine there is confusing and maybe not worth your time if in a rush. I would try Tall Firs in Monroe, its a Links style course and very well done. You feel like a ball golfer as far as the quality of resources. Heading north, there is a few courses but all will lead you away from I-5. They are all 20-35 minutes out of the way but worth it if looking for something unique. NRSA in Serdro Wooley is one, and Twin Rivers in Arlington is another. Near the Canadian border you could play a couple of nine hole courses but they have nothing amazing with the exception of one private course. IMO, SeaTac and Lakewood for your first day near the airport (47 holes). As you head up north, depending on time, Tall Firs and Lake Stevens or Tall Firs and NRSA in Sedro Wooley.

Lakewood and SeaTac are a must if staying near Seattle. From Lynwood, you could quickly hit silver lake in Everett, which is close to Lynwood. You could also hit up Terrace Creek in Mountlake Terrace. However, the back nine there is confusing and maybe not worth your time if in a rush. I would try Tall Firs in Monroe, its a Links style course and very well done. You feel like a ball golfer as far as the quality of resources. Heading north, there is a few courses but all will lead you away from I-5. They are all 20-35 minutes out of the way but worth it if looking for something unique. NRSA in Serdro Wooley is one, and Twin Rivers in Arlington is another. Near the Canadian border you could play a couple of nine hole courses but they have nothing amazing with the exception of one private course. IMO, SeaTac and Lakewood for your first day near the airport (47 holes). As you head up north, depending on time, Tall Firs and Lake Stevens or Tall Firs and NRSA in Sedro Wooley.

This is almost exactly what I was planning, plus some nondescript 9's (and others) along the way. Lake Stevens looks fun if for nothing more than the crazy baskets.

There was another one closer to the border I was looking at with "art baskets" that I may hit...with stupendous views.

I'll have my WP's along, so a little standing water won't bother me too much.

Last edited:
This is almost exactly what I was planning, plus some nondescript 9's (and others) along the way. Lake Stevens looks fun if for nothing more than the crazy baskets.

There was another one closer to the border I was looking at with "art baskets" that I may hit...with stupendous views.

I'll have my WP's along, so a little standing water won't bother me too much.

Unfortunately, I'm out of town otherwise I'd offer to show you around Seatac and Lakewood. Seatac has sweet new teesigns that are a huge help. Lakewood can be a little confusing for navigation, make sure you have a map handy or a local nearby.

Lake Stevens is totally fun, and I think would be a lot more highly regarded if it had regular baskets. It's still a trip with the wacky ones though.

As far as the art targets, there's Sedro Wooley that Stengele mentioned, which has a handful of art targets scattered around (in addition to regular baskets). You may be thinking of the course up in Glacier though, that has hula hoop targets. I haven't played that one myself, but I get the impression that it's not really worth going out of your way for.

I might be in the Seattle area for a few days in May, but are more interested in the Kitsap County area courses. Any info on the play-ability of those courses in mid May would be greatly appreciated.

Everything should be playable over there. Bud Pell can have a lot of standing water in places, but it's still playable. HOPEFULLY we'll be dried out by May, but if not, just be sure to have a change of socks.

Unfortunately, I'm out of town otherwise I'd offer to show you around Seatac and Lakewood. Seatac has sweet new teesigns that are a huge help. Lakewood can be a little confusing for navigation, make sure you have a map handy or a local nearby.

Lake Stevens is totally fun, and I think would be a lot more highly regarded if it had regular baskets. It's still a trip with the wacky ones though.

As far as the art targets, there's Sedro Wooley that Stengele mentioned, which has a handful of art targets scattered around (in addition to regular baskets). You may be thinking of the course up in Glacier though, that has hula hoop targets. I haven't played that one myself, but I get the impression that it's not really worth going out of your way for.

Yeah, Sedro is the one I was looking at yesterday. The art baskets mixed in with regulars. I'm totally throwing at the art baskets, btw. LoL.

Thanks for the tips. I'm a relatively experienced bagger, so I tend to print out course maps (in advance) of most of the places I may play. I hate losing time because I'm all spun around on a course.

All playable, but like Tim said, Bud Pell has a couple standing water holes, but should be fine in May. Not an issue if you don't throw into the swamp anyway. You should also try to play Shelton Springs if you have the time. Rain in May is just hit and miss, but should be improving by then.

Hit me up, I can show you around if it's not May 6th, there's a tourney I'm playing at NAD that day. Didn't I see some old thread once that you said you were stationed out here in the Navy at one time?

Sorry for jacking the thread a bit, Stardoggy. :eek:

if you want a quick nine, hit up silver lake in south Everett. 30 minutes and your done. Fun warm up course.

All playable, but like Tim said, Bud Pell has a couple standing water holes, but should be fine in May. Not an issue if you don't throw into the swamp anyway. You should also try to play Shelton Springs if you have the time. Rain in May is just hit and miss, but should be improving by then.

Hit me up, I can show you around if it's not May 6th, there's a tourney I'm playing at NAD that day. Didn't I see some old thread once that you said you were stationed out here in the Navy at one time?

Sorry for jacking the thread a bit, Stardoggy. :eek:

Yes, I was in Bremerton for three years. 84-87. No courses around there back then. Thanks for the offer, we'll see what happens.