• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Secret Disc Golf Courses

optidiscic

* Ace Member *
Diamond level trusted reviewer
To the Bat Cave...the hideout...the back country mountain ranch...and so on! I have noticed that there are a lot of mentions of secret disc golf courses that are kept way under the radar and off this and other sites. So what gives...it's almost like those secret surf spots I hear about in California where locals will intimidate and chase out outsiders. Tell me some stories, anecdotes, history, details about some of these Area 51 type places and you don't have to give up any location or exact geographical details...I am just really intrigued by this yet another layer to the culture of disc golf...could be fun and no worries I won't try to uncover these gems!

I would guess that most of these are private courses where the owner really doesn't want to have to think about traffic on his property. There are several of these courses in the Colorado Foothills. There is one that is supposed to be amazing and is even on one of the Discraft Team Player Profiles as one of their favorite courses. Luckily for me, I might have an in or maybe I can wait until they do another fundraiser tournament there.

We have tons here in Humboldt County. Most of these courses are hidden up in the mountians, on peoples private land that they don't want extra people on, and in at least one case it is on an arch. site. Many are sticks and trees with areas marked to hit with marking tape. Dave Fieldberg even has one of our secret mountain coures' as his favorite course:cool:.

There are alot of people that have lived around here for years and arn't let know about these courses. You have to be a cool person and get to know the right people to get into some of these courses.

Here's a good picture from my favorite hole which happens to be on such a course.
http://c2.api.ning.com/files/D83L3z...niAao6nhZy3w7UauDkE9PFI2YYiASsDd/100_2914.jpg

I have one down here are that just for the "locals" It is one of the best courses in Tx and is invite only. There is a small group of us that play a couple events a year there and with it being small everyone knows everyone and its good times.

That is part of the reason that we keep some of our courses so secret. We know if we loose a disc out there, it will either be there next time, or if someone finds it, they know you and won't take your disc. Plus it sucks to be out on a course and have some jerks out there throwing, that are acting like total DB's.

I know of one in Texas. Invite only and I have a picture but I'm not supposed to share it. My grandfather knows the person that owns the course but I haven't asked him to get me in. Guy keeps it super private and the hole I've seen is an "island green" that would put some ball golf courses to shame.

Is that the one that's had some super expensive development done on it? I remember a while back on the pdga boards, the designer was posting pics of the progress, and it looked incredible. Like 5 sets of tees on every hole or something, playing around a lake. The thread it was in got taken down though, b/c apparently some guys figured out where it was and were sneaking onto the property uninvited.

My brother has some land that's just sitting there. I've been thinking about putting one up. He doesn't have a problem with it. I don't know if I would be able to put a full 18 there or not. As always, funding is the key issue here :(

To the Bat Cave...the hideout...the back country mountain ranch...and so on! I have noticed that there are a lot of mentions of secret disc golf courses that are kept way under the radar and off this and other sites. So what gives...it's almost like those secret surf spots I hear about in California where locals will intimidate and chase out outsiders. Tell me some stories, anecdotes, history, details about some of these Area 51 type places and you don't have to give up any location or exact geographical details...I am just really intrigued by this yet another layer to the culture of disc golf...could be fun and no worries I won't try to uncover these gems!

actually named a course here in ny "area 51" cause noone knows about it and the par was 51

I know of one in Texas. Invite only and I have a picture but I'm not supposed to share it. My grandfather knows the person that owns the course but I haven't asked him to get me in. Guy keeps it super private and the hole I've seen is an "island green" that would put some ball golf courses to shame.

aww, I havn't seen that Island green picture in years. Post it:D. I allways guessed it was Sandalman's. I know he designed it. What did they call it? Koheana or something.

The silly part about that course was he kept posting pictures taunting the public with a place they could never play.

I played a "secret course" in Pagosa Springs CO. It is more renegade than secret. The guys that showed me asked me not to list it because it they don't exactly have approval to use the land. It would be unplayable w/o a guide anyway. The course was nothing special a few home made baskets but mostly trees w/ discs nailed to them as the target and one weird old farm equipment looking thing.

The one Roc is talking about is sic. From what I understand they have two other courses they set up some times also.

there's one about 35 miles from me in goochland county va that only about 5 people have access to- full 18 with dga baskets.

aww, I havn't seen that Island green picture in years. Post it:D. I allways guessed it was Sandalman's. I know he designed it. What did they call it? Koheana or something.

The silly part about that course was he kept posting pictures taunting the public with a place they could never play.

that's because it was fiction

Man, all these secret courses are just teasing!!!!

I know of two courses in Indianapolis that are only open for special occasions (tournaments), not really secret, but not really open to public play.

What about the super secret moon course?
worlds-moon.jpg