• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Seeking reviews on a selected few of bags

jblaudenbach

I am currently in search of a backpack style disc-golf bag. I currently have my eyes on these four bags: Grip EQ, Simian, Ranger, and the Catalyst. I am really liking the Catalyst bag at the moment, but I want to read some more reviews on the other bags. I am just looking for the most comfortable bag that has excellent quality.

Some other information about yourself might help steer people in the right direction, including:

-Number of discs you carry
-How much extra stuff you carry
-Type of courses you play
-Type of weather you play in
-Budget

The four bags you listed all have pros and cons, and are all pretty spread out in terms of price. If we know a little more about you, it might help to get some more constructive feedback.

(Also, there are good threads on all of those bags here that would be worth brushing up on.)

-I carry roughly 18-22 disc at a time.
-I usually carry towels, bug spray, sharpies, and other random misc. items.
-I play on a lot of different courses as the group of people I play with travel around the state to play.
-I play in the snow/rain on occasion, but for the most part I do not.
-Price not a huge issue

I brushed up on a lot of the threads and a lot of them are full of bickering -_-.

-I carry roughly 18-22 disc at a time.
-I usually carry towels, bug spray, sharpies, and other random misc. items.
-I play on a lot of different courses as the group of people I play with travel around the state to play.
-I play in the snow/rain on occasion, but for the most part I do not.
-Price not a huge issue

I brushed up on a lot of the threads and a lot of them are full of bickering -_-.

You've got that right about the bickering.

Honestly, I would take the Catalyst out of the equation. The customer service issues have me worried that the maker of that bag won't be around too long.

The Simian probably has everything you want, but you're looking at months to get one.

That leaves the Grip or the Ranger. I think the Ranger has more cargo space, but only one water bottle holder if I recall correctly. The Grip is the gold standard, but the side storage is not as voluminous as you may want.

It's a tough call when it comes to these bags. Do you know anyone or see anyone on the course with one? Seeing them in person might be the best way to figure it out.

Also, don't forget about the Mystery Ranch Mahal. Durable, versatile, and made for serious DG. Pricey, but looks to be worth it. If you are traveling a lot, it can definitely cover the extra stuff you'll need for some long days, and then some.

For what it's worth, I carry 22 discs in my grip a-series bag. The side pockets are a little too small for my liking. I'd like to be able to fit an Xl size jacket but I can't. But I can fit an extra water bottle (3 total in the whole bag), two minis, a 12inx12in towel, book of score cards, sharpies, and extra socks in there comfortably. I've only been using this bag for about a month. The only complaint with it is how the straps are susceptible to loosening when putting my second arm through. I wear the bag high on my back, so when I stick my arm through, it loosens the strap. As for sturdiness, I can't say that this bag will never tip over. In fact, on my hilly home course, it tips over probably once or twice a round. I haven't had the opportunity to try any of the other bags listed, but compared to my old fade tourney bag (which I loved a lot) this bag is far superior. I'd definitely recommend it. The many pros definitely outweigh the few cons.

I currently have 18 discs in my Simian, that's with using one of the large side pockets for a few extra discs. It has a ton of storage space with the two large side pockets, one huge bottom pocket that's big enough for an XL hoodie and a small hidden pocket up under the seat for wallet/phone/keys. It's durable, mine's held up well for a few years now with no real signs of wear. As was mentioned above, it can be a long wait to get one, and it's not quite as comfortable as the other three, but the seat and storage make up for that for me.

Can never go wrong with GB bags! :thmbup:

I am interested in getting another bag because DG in MT is tough to gauge sometimes for weather and therefore gear. That being said I have GRIP right now and am not interested in anything other than a mahal or simian. The grip simply will not have enough room to carry that many discs and store a sweatshirt or a jacket. Then trying to carry a seat, and umbrella, man, there is not enough room. The prodicus bag looked sweet, but with Mystery Ranch in MT, I have a bias. However I have been super happy with every Gorilla Boy product I have seen, so I would recommend you look at those two companies.

grip bag.jpg i would like to try a ranger bag. i miss storage and a spot for my towel. the grip is comftorble and fits well on the back. I have the A series. i wont trade or sell my bag due to it being a gift from my parents for my bday but i will one day get a ranger to test out the difference. I would like a nice area for towel mini and pretty much drinks.

I have decided to go with a Grip. However most places seem out of stock at the moment. Anyone know a of a store that has them in stock?

bags

I have had the following bags:

Grip- great bag. Comfortable, durable and and putter pocket is cool. Only complaint is lack of storage. And rainfly is cool.
Ranger- looks cool, great setup with lots of storage. Really like this bag but the material is not as high quality as Grips but at its pricepoint its understandable.
Simian- limked having the seat but not crazy about the rest of the bag. Felt very stiff and rigid on my back.
Mahal- best quality bag imo. Plenty of storage, comfortable and has anything you will need. Very wide.
Prodiscus- my peronal favorite. Think grip with more storage. It is big but it is comfortable and lighter than you would expect. Its about as wide as mahal with pockets let all the way out. Also has a rainfly.

If your a big guy i would suggest Prodiscus. I am not so i carry a grip but inlove the ptrodiscus. I look stupid wearing it though.

Does anyone have a review of the smaller Prodiscus bag? Seems really nice, and would fit me much better.

I've a poor video quality but hopefully informative review of the Simian from when I got it in November.

My very, very truncated version:

- Holds as much as you could want; great storage options, layout, and flexibility.
- Comfy
- Stool is amazing. Can't overrate that feature.
- Uber-quality workmanship and material.
- I love supporting a USA-based one man operation.
- Well worth the wait for a bag you'll have forever.

I'll just add that I was doing exactly what you are doing now a few weeks back and ended up going with the Simian. Won't have it till at least May, but can't wait.

One thing that wasn't a huge selling point for me, but may be for you is that they come in like 14 different colors. I haven't seen any other bag that has more than 3-4 choices.