• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Selah Ranch

^ that's what i thought but i didn't see any Texas courses on your profile. How many until 1000?

I'm taking a trip in a couple weeks, we'll play 4 days in the dallas area then head out there, so it won't be my first course in Texas, but it's on my first trip there. I'm at 565ish, so it'll still probably be a couple years to get 1000.

Harry Myers is arguably the best course in DFW, and I think everyone would agree it's in the top 5. The Selah experience is so far above and beyond Myers, there's no comparison. It's kind of like Harry Myers and the two Cedar Hill courses had a baby, and it became an actor and starred in a Bonanza remake.

Would everyone hate on me if I did my first course review on these courses and gave them less than 5 discs?

Would everyone hate on me if I did my first course review on these courses and gave them less than 5 discs?

Eventually, someone's going to do it just for the H - E double hockey sticks of it. You know it's true.

I wouldn't want to be that person, and not just because people would hate on me.

My punishment for being the type of person who would do that would be being the type of person who would do that. That's bad enough.

I mean, seriously. Can you imagine being that person? Fate worse than death, right there.

It's going to happen sometime. As long as you state a good case why it shouldn't be then that's all that matters, and if your good with it then so be it. There are plenty of idiots that give thumbs down for whatever reason, even if it's helpful, they just want to be douches. I'd like to read your review and hear your reasons why it's not though.

Eventually, someone's going to do it just for the H - E double hockey sticks of it. You know it's true.

I wouldn't want to be that person, and not just because people would hate on me.

My punishment for being the type of person who would do that would be being the type of person who would do that. That's bad enough.

I mean, seriously. Can you imagine being that person? Fate worse than death, right there.

It is possible that someone could play these courses and think they are less than perfect. I don't think their fate would be that bad.

How many courses have you played to compare it to? In the end every one has a different interpretation of what's perfect or 10/10.

When i think about rating selah i ask myself: what "con" could really knock it down to a 4.5? Its to wide open for my liking? You can't walk it without a golf cart? Its far away from where i live?

If selah doesn't get get a 5/5, no course ever will.

If it's you're first review - probably everyone would hate you. If you had reviewed many courses well, had a good reputation, played a butt load of courses, or were maybe a high level TR - and wrote a really good and detailed review validating your opinion - then you could pull it off without everyone hating you.

Emphasis on the really well thought out detailed review validating your opinion part more than anything. If you write five vague lines, you'll get slaughtered.

Just my .02 though. :)

Can we please just wait until mashnut plays it considering he has played flyboy also, i feel like both courses are in that category, I dont really care which ones better, but yeah.

The fate of the world is in your hands Mashy :|

No pressure or anything... :|

I really am excited to play it, I try to go into every course with an open mind, whether or not it's highly rated. If it's anywhere near as good as it seems from the pictures, reviews and statements from Houck I wouldn't be at all surprised to find it in a category with Flyboy (my current top course by a wide margin).

You may have to go back and lower the ratings on all your other reviews. Selah definitely raises the bar in my view.

i'm hoping to get there in the near future. love the concept, although terrain-wise it's tough to compete with the great courses in nc and ga.

I think it'd be a sign of health if you did that. I think that the 5 disc ratings should be reserved for courses that are perfect atleast in some every day definition of the word. And to me that would be something like using a great property, designing a great course and spending atleast 3 million dollars on building it :)

I would depend on what you write. If you don't give any valid reasons or if you are just downrating because you don't think a course should get a perfect rating, then you shouldn't write the review. If you give it a low grade because it is too hard then you are in a murkier region. But I have gotten nasty PMs from people on reviews that I thought were fair and perhaps even a little generous because it is their home course or favorite course and I dared not to like everything about it. Reviewing is subjective and I certainly think it is possible for someone to dislike a course that many other people love.

Can anyone report on the water levels? When i was there in november almost everything on creekside was dry.

Water levels were quite high a couple of weeks ago. Discs were lost on creek side.

Let's say if (when) I end up in the water at Selah, what are the odds of getting the disc back? It's starting to warm up outside, and I don't want to hop in a puddle full o' snakes. How deep are the water hazards?

Deep. I was able to get a couple of discs back on lakeside with a retriever because they were only a few feet from shore in shallow parts, but not one. I didn't lose any on creek side, but my spouse did. He got one back by swimming for it. That water is deep and dark.