• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Selah Ranch

As I posted on our Facebook page last night, we are actually putting together an in-depth video explaining the most complex and misunderstood hole I've ever done, which is Lakeside #14. It sounds like you've found the key: keep the driver in the bag, and hit one of the three landing areas (you can see them on the tee sign). If you do that, I guarantee you will have at least one clean and fair route to the pin.

Reading all the recent criticism of that hole, I actually started to wonder if I had missed something. But when I got to Selah, I saw exactly what I wanted to see. I'm not surprised that other people can't see it, because it's not something they're used to, so I figured a video would be appropriate. It'll take a few weeks to edit it, but it'll clearly show how the hole works.

Only 3 months until I make my return to Selah.....I sure hope this video is out by then. Ha ha ha, I'm sure you have nothing better to do!

Doubtful. The rumor is that he was picked up and taken (to someone else's) home

Been quiet here. I guess its the winter. Its got to be in the teens or lower.

Now there's an idea I can get behind.

As I posted on our Facebook page last night, we are actually putting together an in-depth video explaining the most complex and misunderstood hole I've ever done, which is Lakeside #14. It sounds like you've found the key: keep the driver in the bag, and hit one of the three landing areas (you can see them on the tee sign). If you do that, I guarantee you will have at least one clean and fair route to the pin.

Or people could throw a seasoned nuke high with a long slow S up the middle route for a 2. It's there......trust me :)

Who is ready for winter to be over?

Mid-March 2013:

Tee shot on Lakeside #7:
20130313_190801.jpg

Hole #16, an awesome 2-shot hole on Creekside, with the pro shop and cart barn in the background:
20130314_181236.jpg

Some hole on Lakeside -- #5 perhaps?
20130314_113734.jpg

Is that an 8' table? I've been to Selah three times, but never went in the Corral House. I think my DG game is better than my pool game, but I love to play.

I'm looking forward to getting back to those courses. I really hope to find a partner for World Dubs. I don't know if my partner from last year is going to be able to make it this year.

The table seats 6 comfortably for breakfast. Ohhhh, you mean the pool table? I have no idea how big it is.

Is that an 8' table? I've been to Selah three times, but never went in the Corral House. I think my DG game is better than my pool game, but I love to play.

I'm looking forward to getting back to those courses. I really hope to find a partner for World Dubs. I don't know if my partner from last year is going to be able to make it this year.

I think its an 8'. But its not even close to level. Great pics grodney.

Yeah, if you're looking for top-notch pool, you shouldn't probably look in the Corral House. Plenty of fun, though.

Hole #16, an awesome 2-shot hole on Creekside

My bad -- Creekside #16 is a 3-shot hole, and is listed as-such on the scorecard. Not sure why the map is drawn as a 2-shot, but whatever. Of course big-arms are welcome to reach the pin in 2 if they like.

Here's the DGCR photo from the basket. The (long) tee is at the back left corner of the lake in this photo.
-- Shot 1 is essentially along the lake, and depending on wind you can elect to cut over some of the water to shorten what you have left.
-- Shot 2 you then decide if you hug the lake's edge, or if you swing it out wide right in this photo.
-- Shot 3. The pin isn't TOO close to the water, but close enough to make you think, while also falling off a bit behind if I recall.

11c321cb.jpg

On this aerial, the line segments are:
-- Shot 1 - 320 from the long tee to the short tee. That leaves you approx 480.
-- Shot 2 - 300 to the mini-fat peninsula.
-- Shot 3 - 180.

Of course the first shot sets up everything else. If you play it too safe and over-shoot the water too far, you get down into the trees and thus impede your 2nd (although there are still PLENTY of options and shots to be made). But if you play it too risky,you might get wet. And there is ALWAYS wind from somewhere, which dramatically changes the hole.

Creekside16_zpsb844bc87.jpg

At Texas Teams during match play from the longs everyone on my card tried to make a 350' water carry, I played it safer and was the only person to not go in and have to re-tee. My opponent threw two drives into that water then conceded the hole to me.

Great hole! Creekside is an amazing course, lots of risk/reward and opportunity to stretch your arm out a little on the long holes, and plenty of birdie opportunities on the shorter holes.

Love hole 16 Creekside. My partner and I had an eagle putt at it from below the basket near the water's edge last year at world dubs. I threw a Boss and cut the lake off quite a bit. My partner threw the shot to get us the ~35'er up the hill. Sadly we missed the putt :doh:

Today's topic: How cool is #2 Lakeside?!?!!

This is a fantastic 2-shot hole.

Let me give you the parameters:
- Downhill a little bit on the drive, then back up a little bit to the pin. The pin is just on the back-side of the small dam, and it drops off really pretty steeply behind the hole.
- Listed at 528ft.
- As drawn below going the left route, it is 300+250=550.
- As the crow flies, it's about 518.

So here are SOME of your choices off the tee:
- Throw the left route, opting for a nice easy shallow hyzer line that should be pretty safe. But now you've made your 2nd shot harder. Assuming you're right-handed, you have a forehand or an anhyzer to the pin on the hillside, with the angle determined by exactly where your drive ended up in relation to the trees. It's actually not a given to get 300 on the left side, due to the angle of the trees off the pin and where the treeline starts in the fairway.
- Throw the right route, opting to throw a bomb down the water line, hoping to fade it back into the land, without getting wet or going too far and into the trees. Also note the tiny little inlet of water that is from about 300-312, thus making that route even riskier. The payoff, though, is a presumably easier hyzer to the pin, both shorter and better angle than the left route.
- Lay up short of the trees. Throw about 250, short of the trees. As long as you don't throw too far left, you'll have less than 300 remaining on a strong hyzer over the water to the pin. Of course if you think about not laying up too far left, then you might just lay up in the water. Doh. If you DO lay up too far left, then the long hyzer is probably out, and you're left with a really tricky and long left-to-right down the left side.

And if super-pros every play here (are you thinking Final 9?), how about move the tee to the little dock, where it's 450 to clear the water, and 515 to the pin?!

Aerial:
lake2a_zps933b3a0e.jpg

From behind, noting my brother's excellent attire and follow-thru. The basket is visible, just below and left of his disc in flight:
lake2b_zps915d49b1.jpg

From the short tee, just to show you what the left alley looks like:
0542e753.jpg

Looking back at the tree-line options, and the tee, and the dock:
0e7edb5e.jpg

These shots of hole #3 give you some idea of the elevation coming down from the #2 basket (#2 basket is visible in 1st and 3rd photos):
16b8a194.jpg

eb6d6fe1.jpg

7f4721eb.jpg

Unless it is a headwind, I have found #2 at Lakeside to be an easy hole. The only time I didn't get a birdie or par on it was when I tried clearing the water. I could make it, but I'm not consistent enough at getting that kind of distance. I just throw a hyzer down the water line and end up somewhere toward the end of the group of trees. From there it is pretty easy to get to the basket.

But you throw a lot farther, further, more distance than the rest of us (I'm twice your age, sonny boy!).

Edit: I'd say it's probably an "easy" 2-shot hole, but I also bet it has a pretty good split of 3's and 4's for a large range of skill levels, with an obvious smattering of 5's and 6's the lower you go in skill. It's obviously also much easier in doubles where 1 guy can always go risky.

Last edited:
As a primarily LHBH thrower, hole 2 Lakeside is my kryptonite. I have found great success in throwing something super flippy and letting it roll to the clearing in the trees (road), but with the hill, wind, trees on the teebox, and of course lake, it's an extremely risky shot.

I COULD flick something and play safe, but I have yet to find a good landing spot. Something too OS won't go far enough to give me an upshot (due to the trees nested at the corner of the lake and the pin being back and right of them). Something more neutral flicked will land closer to the edge of the lake, therefore making the LHBH approach through the gap extremely difficult to land for a par putt. It would have to hook/skip way too much, and the position of the pin being on a steep hill next to water doesn't help.

One of the many things I love about Lakeside is that the lake is left of the fairway for a couple of holes and right of the fairway for a couple.

Latest posts