• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Selah Ranch

I've never been out to Selah, but have talked to the wife about getting out there on a little r&r trip, a couples getaway type deal. Had no idea it was up for sale. Hopefully whoever buys it will keep it set as a business, and keep the course there. I know usually a bed and breakfast is sold, upgrades/slight changes are made but the overall business and such still stands. I may need to get on the ball and book a few days out here just in case though.

You live 1.5 hours away and you've never been :eek:? You should go....tomorrow.

it is easy to mistake criticism as being a response to personal offense over someone's opinion rather than a mere observation of someone's inconsistent/irrational statements. such a misunderstanding of motives may also lead to straw men.

the weather hasn't been too bad for texas. but it's still texas.

yup it is wouldnt be any other place!!!

My quick math tells me $6.5 million is probably too much, based on revenue potential only and not the value of buildings, land, etc.

I bet the revenue from the B&B is somewhere between $250,000 and $300,000. Disc golf revenues are probably in the $125,000 range. This is just based on a couple quick minutes of talking with the manager about how many players they normally have and what the occupancy is like at the B&B.

I honestly think a price of $3 to $4 million is more reasonable, but that building is SOO nice.

I thought that there was a total of 1,000 acres being sold. If you only consider the Inn and Course, then yes $6.5 is way to high.

I would not be surprised if the sale is broken up to split the Inn, Course, and Ranch land to separate parts.

All this talk of property sale has me spooked, so I'm planning on making a cannonball run from SW Ohio to TX and back this weekend with a few friends. We're going specifically to play the Selah courses, but we would need to maximize our extremely limited time there.

So here's my question: what's a rough estimate of how long it'll take to play both courses? There's two of us playing. For comparison, it generally takes us 60-80 minutes for a standard park 18 and 80-100 for a more challenging course. It took us 2 1/2 hours to play Idlewild and 2 1/4 hours to play Flip. We would likely walk and play the short tees only on both courses. Any guesses? Sorry for the ultra-specific question, but it's really important to me to at least get a ballpark answer. Thanks in advance! :hfive:

get the golf cart... don't walk it. will cut play time in 1/3. the walk to lakeside will take 15-20 minutes alone. I would say with the carts and knowing where the baskets are, you could play a round there in 60 minutes. not knowing where the baskets are add 20-30 minutes of golf cart diving to the round.

Lakeside from the longs with 3 guys and 1 cart (thus one guy walking) took us 2:15. Not hurrying. So if you're walking with 2 guys, maybe about the same, but if you're playing pretty fast and the short tees, you could maybe get 2:00 or a little less????

I also recommend getting the cart. If there's only 2 of you playing, it's worth the money to save the time.

Creekside takes longer.

Thirding get the cart. The courses would take forever otherwise.

You could probably get in under 2 hrs/round if you tried. It's hard to estimate b/c the longer holes (of which there are many) are often best played for the first time after scouting ahead, which lengthens your round. I can imagine rushing them in 90 min/course, but I wouldn't recommend that.

Depending on how long you're down there, try and hit Trey Ranch. Two other quality Houck courses ~15 minutes from Selah.

get the golf cart... don't walk it.

I also recommend getting the cart.

Thirding get the cart.

Okay, so despite my preference to walk, it looks like we'll get the cart. Our other wrinkle (that grodney touched on) is that there'll be three of us in total (myself and two women, only one of them playing). The woman who is playing can hold her own and plays rather quickly. The woman who isn't playing would serve as a spotter and just kind of hang out. Is it worth getting her a cart too? Or would the fact that she's not playing make that unnecessary, since she could theoretically be walking while we drive ahead to scout the hole, take our shots, etc.? Thanks again for your advice!

For what it's worth, I'd generally prefer walking too, but the course is really designed to take advantage of the cart's availability. It's very spread out, with a few sizable walks between holes, at least one of which probably approaches a half mile or so.

You should be able to fit three on a cart. Either way, having a nonplayer walk should be fine.

There's not that much scout-ahead necessary, in my opinion. I think you'll find you walking (perhaps bag on cart) and them riding, and you'll be fine. But even if the non player walks, I don't think you'd need the extra cart.

Pretty sure they specify 2 to a cart, and pretty sure some people break that rule in the woods and remote areas.

Thanks for all of your input! I think that's what we'll plan for, then. One cart and we should be able to finish in 4 or 4 1/2 hours. Thanks! :clap::clap:

Maybe if I'm lucky, they'll let me play Trey Ranch on Sunday... :D

Take Friday off, or get a cold Monday (cough cough), and spend a whole day or more at Selah.

Wait, on second thought, don't go faking a cold after you've been to Texas (EBOLAZZZ!!!!!!!!!).

There's not that much scout-ahead necessary, in my opinion. I think you'll find you walking (perhaps bag on cart) and them riding, and you'll be fine. But even if the non player walks, I don't think you'd need the extra cart.

I think you can get away without scouting ahead, but I was happy I did it more often than not. There's so much to think about re: landing zones and multiple routes that seeing the hole completely and from multiple angles helped for me. Plus, the few times I didn't scout (13 Lakeside!) I regretted it.

Pretty sure they specify 2 to a cart, and pretty sure some people break that rule in the woods and remote areas.

You're probably right. I'd seen a crew that was breaking that rule when I was out there, but it was only when they away from the clubhouse, and they were being a bunch of idiots, anyways.

Let the non player drive the cart, carts are setup as two seaters with a dump bed in the back for bags.

It's dicey for anyone to sit in the dump bed, but it's possible. Don't make teh womenz sit in it though as it's quite uncomfortable...

There's ways for 3 to fit in the cart but it's unsafe to say the least. You will want the cart for the drive between courses though for sure.