• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Setting up a local league

Shuie

Eagle Member
Silver level trusted reviewer
I'm going to try and set-up a local league in my hometown its kind of a dead zone for disc but I was wondering if you guys had any suggestions for different type/styles of leagues?????

Handicap leagues have worked well for us. They make everyone competitive. We'll have a scratch split of 18-20 strokes reduced to 7-8. Low cost action helps too. 3-5 for the round with a few ctps thrown in at $1 a piece.

If you want easy to run to build up numbers I would recommend random draw doubles.

Not sure about attracting numbers, but here's a few things that I have done with the league that I coordinate:

1. Points Series: Rewards both participation and good shooting. Here is a breakdown of the points that can be awarded on a given League Night. Ties are broken by a one-throw sudden death CTP determined by the League Coordinator. At the end of the season, the Top 5 players in points receive some sort of prize or gift certificates.

2. Cash Pools: Ace Fund is available for any player who wishes to contribute. I collect $1 each night from each player. As the pool continues to grow, the first player to hit an Ace on any given league night wins the % of the pot that he or she contributed (Collected 5 times, but he only contributed 3 of those times >> Player Wins: 60%). We also have a weekly CTP cash pool for $1 a player. The designated hole is selected before the round. The player who places his drive closest to the basket on that hole wins the cash pot and gets to choose the CTP hole for next week.

3. Variant Formats: Every few weeks, we will play different formats to keep things interesting: Alternate Tee/Safari Holes, "Deuce or Die", Glow-in-the-Dark, Random Draw Doubles, etc.

Thanks for the great Info everyone. Anymore would greatly be appreciated!

Make sure you have structured payout. It should be predetermined based on how many people show up.

Send out a mass text notifying people about every mini.

Create a facebook group.

Eventually set up by laws and elections for President, VP, Treasurer, and course coordinator.
Here's our By-Laws. We have 2 VP's.

Bag Tags are also a good way to increase competition and get club funds. Get some bag tags for cheap(we just use small and simple brass circles with a number and a hole punched out), then sell them for 5 bucks a piece with the profits going towards a 'club fund'.

Our club does a weekly Ace Run/Bag Tag Challenge for 2 bucks, with an extra $3 side bet for the people who wanna throw in. Doing the Bag Tags/Ace Run really gave a kick start to the competition in town.

Latest posts