• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shaking hands properly

crosstrek

I play every week in my local tournament, and everyone's friendly and wants to shake hands... but what the heck, everyone shakes hands differently. How do I know what to do???

Some guys come at you with a normal hand-shake pose, and you shake their hand. But sometimes the fingers are pointing up and the thumb is out, so I go for the hey-bro handshake. But then it turns into a finger-grip and then a knuckle-bump.

Then some guys put their hand out but expect you to slap with a high-5 type of thing, but kinda low.

Three outa four times I goof it up.

At every tournament, I feel like a hand-shake geek.

Can someone outline the different handshakes and how to be a cool disc-golf hand-shaker?

Thanks.

Spit in your palm and say, "Put 'er there!"

Seriously, I usually shake hands the 'white guy' way before the round and on the last hole. During the round, when someone makes a good shot I'll put out my fist for the knuckle tap. If someone wants a high five, low five,spinning reverse five or whatever, I still extend my fist and let them either switch to the knuckle tap or 'paper my rock', with their five. (hmmmm, that didn't sound right)

Yeah like half the time I shake someone's hand its not the way the other person planned it and I usually walk away with the awkward turtle.

I say wing it and become a freestyle handshake champion after you master them all.

I've found that the younger guys are more apt to give the finger squeeze, knuckle dap thing, while the older guys give the more traditional handshakes. So I'll usually react based on that.

I prefer the traditional handshake with a firm grip.

The fact that you needed to make a post about how to give a handshake is kinda shameful isn't it?
And I get to be the a$$hole who comes out and says it.

walgreens.JPG

EBK357 said:
the worst is when you shake hands and you get the real limp squeeze
NO the worst is when some douche takes the firm handshake thing too seriously and unexpectedly smashes the shit out of your (many times broken) throwing/punching hand, makes me want to break it again :evil:

Maybe we should just adopt the Japanese thing and just bow to each other before and after the round. 8)

Shaolintrained said:
nice drive kid said:
If you can't give a firm handshake, I don't respect you as a person. Simple as that.

I know it's not right, but I am the same way.

Of course it's right to feel that way. How hard is it to learn to not grasp someone's fingers, or to just squeeze someone's hand firmly? Not hard at all. Learn to shake hands or embarrass yourself for the rest of your life.

AciDBatH666 said:
The fact that you needed to make a post about how to give a handshake is kinda shameful isn't it?
And I get to be the a$$hole who comes out and says it.
Hey, you're not an a-hole, as far as you know. Just reading the replies makes me feel better about my hand-shaking technique. I fake it pretty good, and like I said, all the players are great guys and we have a great time.

Never had a problem shaking hands in ball-golf, because it's a business handshake. Maybe next week I'll even try the grab-n-hug thing where you kinda bump shoulders :)

Disc golf is making me grow as a man!??

I shake hands with my index finger slightly out. It gives you the upper power, and the person on the other end can't crush your hand. It's a technique a lot of musicians use.
IT's a frim hand shake but protects you from being intimidated/crushed hand lol.

Before a round we all high five.
and after the round as well on the last hole tee box.

nice drive kid said:
If you can't give a firm handshake, I don't respect you as a person. Simple as that.

Now wait a minute! What if you have some old man, that dosen't have much strength anymore in his hands? You not going to respect him? Not everyone has a strong handshake, and you can't jugde someone because of that. Be kind.

Fritz said:
I shake hands with my index finger slightly out. It gives you the upper power, and the person on the other end can't crush your hand. It's a technique a lot of musicians use.
IT's a frim hand shake but protects you from being intimidated/crushed hand lol.

I also apply this handshake, makes it impossible to get your hand crushed. Little martial art trick.

Latest posts