• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Recommend] Shallow approach discs

Alexplz

Double Eagle Member
Hey there.

Today I have been sitting at work and contemplating approach discs. I own a stack of wizards and love how they fly when power gripped. However lately I made the discovery that at lower approach speeds a three-finger birdie grip has brought much greater success in accuracy for approaches, allowing the disc to rip out rather than releasing a power grip.

I have small hands and have thought that it might be a good idea to check out some more shallow discs for approaching. I also own zones and rhynos, so I've got very OS down to slightly OS covered. At this point I am looking for something that:

1. Has very little fade and will hold a gentle anny
2. Is shallow, like 1.5 cm or less (I have a warlock that is 1.6, I want to go a tad shallower)
3. MAYBE comes in soft plastic but this is not vital

Additional info - I love the feel of my zones in hand - I feel like with the flat top and high shoulder I can hold it effortlessly. I also like the rhyno's thumbtrak.

One more question - In the PDGA approved disc list, it only lists the Aviar and the Aviar Putter - am I to assume that all unbeaded flavors of pro plastic, along with the PNA and the classic, fit the "Aviar Putter" specs perfectly? Is it true that both the unbeaded and BB aviars both have a rim depth of 1.5 cm as listed?

I will watch this thread like a hawk - let me know if you need any more info! :hfive:

If you like the Rhyno, maybe try a Tank? Similar disc, but a little shallower since the Bead isn't needed. Or try some of the new DD putters, judge or warden

How did I not also think of the Pure??? Nice shallow profile and really versatile for approach shots. Also comes in a wide variety of plastics.

Thanks for suggestions so far -

- All my buzzzes fade out at approach speeds

- I have definitely been looking at the lat64 and DD putters - the pure and the spike in particular.

- The vibram summit is a great suggestion - I will have to see if I can check it out.

- The XD is definitely something on my radar as well. I imagine it would beat in nicely, they are cheap AND they have a "zone-like" feel in hand.

Ironically, the polecat also feels good in my hand although it's got no rim width to speak of and has a rim depth of 1.6. Any other suggestions of putters that for one reason or another just feel right?

I am completely positive that you want a pure in either zero soft or zero medium. Hit a tree with it a few times and you've got an amazing straight to hyzer flip approach disc that will hold an anny even at low speeds.

Get one -> throw one -> profit

Pa4 if you want to try some prodigy. deeper though its flight is like a more conventional polecat or seasoned pure.

A Zero Soft Spike would do the trick as well. It'll hold the anny nicely, and it powers down to just be very straight. Nice and shallow.

I would have to agree with every body who has said summit. At 1.2cm it may be exactly what you are looking for. And you can get it in X-link soft which is about as soft as you get.

The magic is another option, but it is right at your depth requirements. Right at 1.5cm.

You mentioned it already, but the polecat I have can read my mind. Like zero fade if you don't want it to, and it's so easy to throw for those approach shots that are between a mid and putter.

Plus it's fun to watch people's expressions when you float one up right to the pin. I have a light one that flies like a paper plate. It's beautiful :D

Spikes are shallower than Pures and more understable.

Pro-D Zones are under-rated. They beat in to be nice straight fliers at slow speeds.

Flat champ spider would be my suggestion. Holds a nice anny, nice fit in smaller hands, and it ranges well. Doesn't glide a lot and when it hits it likes to sit. Especially a nice flat, gummy spider.

I have also have small hands and have issues with deep putters. I like wizards and used a banger for the previous 4 years, but have switched to judges for approaches and putts over the last 3 months and love them. I will also say get them in classic plastics, the premiums have more dome and feel deeper in the hands.
If you want something a little less stable PA4 or pures (both in premium plastic) are good, I just prefer a bead. Or for even less stable xd/magic all of them are good, just depends how it feels in the hand.