• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Innova] Shark3 ? Does anyone even throw this thing?

I'll echo the sentiments offered thus far. The hand feel was definitely the reason this didn't make my bag. It covered my OS Roc3 shots until I found a good, domey Glow Champ Roc3.

I'll echo the sentiments offered thus far. The hand feel was definitely the reason this didn't make my bag. It covered my OS Roc3 shots until I found a good, domey Glow Champ Roc3.

My new Shark3 has a bit of sharpness on the underside; a couple of throws on a concrete path or teepad will take care of that for the most part. Otherise, to me the Shark3 feels much like a Roc3 (sans bead, of course). I never particularly liked the Roc3 underside's feel (nor the MVP Vector), but could deal with it for the sake of the good flight. Ditto that for the Shark3... if it keeps doing well for me, I'll excuse the awkward feel in the hand...

For me: Shark > Roc

I can't get the same distance as I can from a Roc but my accuracy is much better with a Shark. In case I'm being unclear, accuracy is MUCH more important than distance for me. There must be something about the bead on a Roc that I don't like but I feel as though I can get a clean release with Sharks. Try them for control rollers and overhand approaches!

Funny I almost bumped this thread a month ago

I love the shark3. I am very happy with my mid setup currently.
I bag a MF Shark3, a new pro shark and a beat in pro shark. Sometimes an old qms as well. If I ever beat in my mf shark3 enough to a long straight mid my setup would be perfect.

Regarding the QMS having a similar feel, it has a shark top and stingray wing if I recall correctly.

Update: I took to the range today the following:
Shark3
first-run-proto-stamp VRoc
McBeth 3x Champ Roc3
Metal Flake Roc3

With the convex underside, the VRoc feels the most comfortable in the hand, by far. The VRoc also goes straightest, which I'd expect from the VTech technology. Indeed, I would not try to hyzer this one too much; it tends to fight the hyzer and go straighter than I'd want before the fade starts to kick in. Also, in the range tests the VRoc consistently did not go as far as the others.

The Shark3 and Roc3s all feel about the same in my hand... and none of them are very comfortable. I can deal with that. The Shark3 has no bead, so I felt like it was coming out of my hand a little better on the throws.

Distance-wise, the Shark3 and Roc3s are all about the same. They also fade about the same; at least I didn't notice any huge differences. They all fade, but none of the discs stood out in any particular way. On hyzer shots, the Shark3 gives a very nice, consistent curve to the left and then reaches for the ground. The Roc3, perhaps because of the bead, tended to glide just a bit farther before beginning to drop. Neither will be confused for Gators.

The other day I played a second round in windy conditions with the Shark3. And again, the Shark3 held up well against the wind. In a tailwind, it didn't get very much glide, which is to be expected.

All in all, IMHO the difference(s) between the Roc3 and Shark3 may just come down to feel and personal preference. If you like a bead better, the Roc3 has you covered. If you prefer beadless, the Shark3 might be your answer. The VRoc, IMHO, is in another class... that goes straight before a predictable fade left.

With the convex underside, the VRoc feels the most comfortable in the hand, by far. The VRoc also goes straightest, which I'd expect from the VTech technology.

vtecyo.jpg
Image of dude riding honda lawnmower with caption vtec kicked in is not showing :-|

Jokes aside...

The biggest differece I see between the roc3 and the shark3 are similar to the main difference between the shark and roc. The shark excels in holding a line, whether its the hyzer you mentioned or an anhyzer. When a shark fights out of the anhyzer its gently. Rocs excel in going straight and fading predictably. A roc seems to fade or pull out of a turn abruptly (although predictably) while the shark seems to slowly transition into a steeper and steeper fade.

In the wind, the shark3 vs roc3 I notice the shark gets there by speed while the roc3 gets there by stability and glide.

Last edited:
vtecyo.jpg
Image of dude riding honda lawnmower with caption vtec kicked in is not showing :-|

Jokes aside...

The biggest differece I see between the roc3 and the shark3 are similar to the main difference between the shark and roc. The shark excels in holding a line, whether its the hyzer you mentioned or an anhyzer. When a shark fights out of the anhyzer its gently. Rocs excel in going straight and fading predictably. A roc seems to fade or pull out of a turn abruptly (although predictably) while the shark seems to slowly transition into a steeper and steeper fade.

In the wind, the shark3 vs roc3 I notice the shark gets there by speed while the roc3 gets there by stability and glide.

I could see the photo. Cute.

I agree with your assessments of the Roc3 and Shark3. My Metal Flake Roc3 is new and has not really seasoned in yet, so it still has some fade to it, whereas my Star (and McPro) Roc3s go straight for longer before fading out. In that regard, the Metal Flake Roc3 is still somewhat like the Shark3.

I'm interested in seeing how the Shark3 does as it seasons in...

They seem to be beating in slow. My pro sharks loose low speed and high speed stability pretty evenly, unlike regular rocs (and it sounds like roc3 from your experience) where the fade seems to be lessened earlier.
I would not be surprised if the shark3 and roc3 break in similarly as well. The shark3 seems to have a little more hss to begin (especially released hyzer) than a roc3, but not as much fade. I will keep this thread updated as I beat in a jolly shark3 to compliment my MF Shark3s

My jl shark3 is 175g and flies a bit us. I think the flight is like 5/4/-1/1. I throw flat at about 70% power. If Interested the disc is up for trade

Anyone thought to bag a champ shark3 and a few dx sharks to cover most of their mid duties?

Last edited:
I was at one time heavily devoted to the champ and DX shark as opposed to the rocs I love now. Very similar flight for less power. I tried going back to the shark3, but the first runs were more OS than a roc, and the stock runs I tried later were back to something shark like, but I wasn't ready to wait for them to beat in for US duty. Great all around disc if you like the feel though!

Anyone thought to bag a champ shark3 and a few dx sharks to cover most of their mid duties?

I used to bag a Champ Shark3 and I have a Star Shark. Nice disc, but I ended up bagging other mids, and I don't use mids very much anymore. But a Shark3/StarShark combo wold be cool.

What's the word on current Shark3s vs Roc3s? From what I can find the Shark3 might be a bit less stable now compared to the first runs? Would it be a nice disc to try for someone who is used to throwing Roc3s but is interested in trying a beadless disc in that spot?

What's the word on current Shark3s vs Roc3s? From what I can find the Shark3 might be a bit less stable now compared to the first runs? Would it be a nice disc to try for someone who is used to throwing Roc3s but is interested in trying a beadless disc in that spot?

Yes, the Shark3 would be a good disc to try if you like the Roc3 but want a beadless disc. My Shark3s are earlier runs, and are good discs. I'm curious about the newer runs.

Hmmmm, I'm imagining a Verdict / JL Shark3 / DX Shark lineup... Kind of sounds nice, reminds me of my days throwing that 150g DX Shark from the beginner pack.

Yes, the Shark3 would be a good disc to try if you like the Roc3 but want a beadless disc. My Shark3s are earlier runs, and are good discs. I'm curious about the newer runs.

They are good discs they feel like the grip Champion plastic the Jolly launcher or the old early Champion when it broke in just a bit. That slight grip without being too much. The Jolly Launcher was not for me with the Valkyrie as the disc i felt just had a bit more dome then I like as if they put the dome of a Dragon on a Valkyrie. Also feels like the modern Glow Champion when broken in a bit, again that little bit of grip.

Last edited:

Latest posts