• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sherman, Tx

I talked to Ron Silliman (CCDISCGOLF) last night at the mini and he is more than happy to come up and do some consultation and meet with the city with us. Ron has a lot of experience with these kind of things and is always giving back to the community and would be a HUGE help to us. Ron is the designer of Towne Lake in Mckinney--One of the best courses in North Texas.

I agree that we should get together and discuss ideas. My son has a track meet Thursday so I can't make it to Town Lake. I did meet Meat tonight at the Alex Clark mini. I'm glad you got some response from Mr. Penn-White. I sent him info several months ago and he said he would review it but never replied back. I have given the same infomation to Shane Best and he said the board liked it. He told me it was part of Phase 2 so maybe he is stringing me along. Since I work for the same company as he I will pay him a visit and find out. Of course I will be nice about it.

I will be at Towne Lake Friday afternoon and plan on playing the mini at 6. If you can make it let me know. I will have my 2 sons with me.

I will send Mr. Penn-White another e-mail just to show more interest.

What time will you be out around Friday?

No real news here. I will be out of town this week so would anybody like to take my place for the meeting?

Or we can wait until I get back... either way we need to get it going. I gave him links to the innova and pdga sites on course design.

Also told him about multiple tees and basket locations.

Is there a meeting scheduled?

The board member I'm talking with didn't give me any new information. But he told a friend of mine that he would be happy with getting just 6 baskets. In my opinion that will be a waste of time. I don't think putting in an 18 basket disc golf course will bust the budget. It will get used more than most things the city installs. I feel like I'm getting the run around.

I sent the same info to Al Pen-White last August and never heard anything back from him. So last week I replied to my e-mail asking him if he had reviewed the info and he said he did. He also told me he was going to Mesquite and he was going to Rockwall for the World's Biggest Disc Golf Weekend so maybe he will see what a good course can do for Sherman.

We will see.

Yep back early and I do plan on meeting with him this Friday. Anyone is welcome.

Hey Marty which course did you decide to play in North Austin?
Do you have a time and location for tomorrows meeting?

Below is the e-mail I received from Shane Best on Monday. He is the board member I have been communicating with.

Here is a link showing some of the construction they have done at Pecan Grove. http://www.cityofsherman.org/park_dept.asp

Sorry. I was out of the country.

I'm back and responding... they are intending to place this in the Phase II of the complex. Did I mention before that part of the set back originally was the death of our previous P&R Director? I'm working on the new one but I plan to use your subsequent email and forward to the new Director as well as the City Manager and Mayor since this is getting absolutely no traction, in my opinion.

Al's office around 9:00 a.m.

We played Bartholomew Park and enjoyed it. Wish we had more time to play.

Last edited:
And before I meet with him, give me your requests.

Parks, # of baskets, concrete tees, multiple tees, etc. What we really need and what we should stay away from.

Wish I could make it but I can't get away from work this morning.

18 basket course with multiple tee's and multiple basket locations. Concrete tee's with appropriate dimensions. I like the way Towne Lake is setup.

I had originally given Shane a layout of Fairview Park but since then I really feel that Fairview Park has too much traffic. They did extend the walking path to the other side of the creek so maybe there is more room. If Pecan Grove has enough land then that might be a good location. Especially since the park is in its developing stage.

See if the city would be willing to hire a designer. If not I believe Meast said that Ron would be willing to help. I think he did a great job with Towne Lake.

If the city absolutely can't do anything then maybe they could purchase a few baskets and place them at Herman Baker or in the Park on Hiway 11. I really hate suggesting that since I feel Sherman should be able to install a course.

If you guy's are up for it lets start a club. I already have the web site. As a club we could help with the installation such as cleanup, remove debris. Once the course is in we could help keep it clean and promote disc golf to gain interest. Just a thought.

Good luck and I wish I could join you. Remember that $20,000 sounds like a lot of money to us but it is just a very small piece of the city budget.

Yes all good news and very positive stuff.

We are looking good! Plans at Pecan Grove by end of summer.

He wants us to help design it. Hiring a contractor was never really an option for them. Looks like 15 - 18 baskets(depending on room), concrete tee pads and multi pen locations.

I agree about starting a club!

I know you said you got a site, but I also can make any kind of website from scratch along with logos. Lets get it stated who wants to be the fearless leader? Who has time and really want to head this out?

I'm glad to hear postive news. Maybe we can get Ron to come and take a look.

Lets all try to meet somwhere and discuss. I'm up for some coffee:)

Hey All,
Sorry I was at the Lone Star Championship tournament this weekend so I wasn't able to get on. I like all these ideas especially the club one and I know that Ron would definitely be up to coming out and helping us with the course design

The best way to start all this may just be to meet a Pecan Grove, I can bring my portable basket and just set it up and play some and see what we come up with and maybe invite the parks people come out with us and play. This way they will be able to talk with us about the course ideas and they will be able to play as well.

Well I worked on the site today and I think it will work for now. Let me know what you guys think.

I can add anything else we need. I just wanted to get it started. Please let me know what you think.

Shermandgc

Latest posts