• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

shoes

wolfmandragon

* Ace Member *
In ball golf, the type of shoe makes a great difference to the game. How important is it in disc golf?

I have been having a bit of problem spinning on my heel on my backhand throw. Part of this I am sure is from years of training to only spin on the ball of my foot but part could be coming from the fact I have been wearing hikers(small heel).

Has changing shoes helped anyone here?

eh honestly some are crazy about their shoes but I can play in anything. even winter boots suck but its do-able. Good support and balance is important though for sure-- I had a pair of shoes that were too worn to even wear safely anymore, thanks to DG making the bottoms smooth. Strong soles and comfort with little weight are best IMO. Lots of threads on which "dg" shoes are out there.

but for me.. not really that big of a deal.

wow for once i am agreeing with aim. for me it is whatever is comfy. i have a pair of adidas sg2000 shell toes and a pair of adidas kanadia tr4. shell toes for flatter courses kanadias for hilly courses. but for the most part i can where anything up to and including my 8" tall work boots.

I use Merrrel Moab low top boots. Light weight, durable, and great traction. However I'm not good at rotating the heel either. But I don't blame it on my shoes.

good pair of keens work for me. does it change my game. NO and YES. if my feet are wet ill play like crap and if they are dry then i still play like crap lol jk. i play better. if your body is comftorble then you dont need to worry about being uncomftorble and just worry about playing well.

I just ordered the OBOZ Arete and they are killer...great soles, great support and lots of traction. I will not buy another shoe besides these. I sprayed them with water repellant and they have worked wonderfully in the snow and rain. When finances get a bit better I'm going to buy another pair just for everyday wear and tear.

All I need is for my feet to be dry, fits well and is comfortable.
When it's dry out, I can play in pretty much any type of sneaker, hiker, whatever... gebnerally I wear something chep, cause I beat the hell out of them.
But when it's wet out, I need something that will keep my feet dry. Unfoortunately, a decent waterproof mid hiker in a wide width is tough to come by and pricey when you find them.

There should be a marketplace where RHBH and LHBH players with the same shoe size can pair up and swap.

There should be a marketplace where RHBH and LHBH players with the same shoe size can pair up and swap.

Brilliant.

My shoe requirements are: comfortable to walk in for long days, traction on wet surfaces. Oh, and also, not super ugly.

But when it's wet out, I need something that will keep my feet dry. Unfoortunately, a decent waterproof mid hiker in a wide width is tough to come by and pricey when you find them.

Try OBOZ Yellowstone II if a bit of heel does not bother you throwing(it bothers my backhand drive). 2 years everyday wear and still going strong, mine are.

^^^I promise you, you will not be disappointed. I don't want to wear anything other than those shoes this winter. They are warm, comfortable and built to last.

have you ever tried Shotput and discus shoes? Discus throwers throw on cement and they have a similar movements to us discers i would try a cheap pair of thos out!:)

I have the keen disc golf shoes. I really like them. The sole seems pretty indestructible and they keep my feet dry in the wet. I don't know that they are completely necessary, but I like them. I'm with everybody else whatever keeps you comfortable. A good pair of trail running shoes would probably be OK too. I also had the Adidas Kanadia trail running shoes at one time too. They are comfortable and had good traction but didn't have the quality upper materials that Keen puts into their shoes and they weren't water proof/resistant. There is a certain amount of... you get what you pay for. I have seen the Keen disc golf shoes on sale a lot lately for about 70 to 80 bucks down from regularly about 110, 120 bucks.

I use the merrell moad mid boots. Ive had them since probably around Sept-Oct timeframe. On a good week, I play at least 8 rounds if not more. My average is usually around 6 or so. My boots still really new. There is very minimal wear on the right sole compared to the left. I usually destroy boots/shoes between disc golf, rock climbing, and just being me. I will definitely get another pair after this one. I may have to buy the non waterproof one shortly, cause I'm pretty sure they will be very warm once the Phoenix summer comes.

Any shoe that is comfortable and provides decent traction works 90% of the time. If it has rained recently, I may wear an old pair of baseball cleats to get a bit better footing on some of the earthen clay tee pads. Plus , if you hook your shot into some unstable territory such as a ditch or ravine, the cleats will keep you right side up most of the time.

have you ever tried Shotput and discus shoes? Discus throwers throw on cement and they have a similar movements to us discers i would try a cheap pair of thos out!:)

Would only be useful once per hole, at most. Not useful at all on non concrete pads. Some courses around here, walking the course would become.... Sporting.