• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shortest holes ever

I am from the Eckstrom clan, Who my Grandmother is from Winnona Minnesota the Kaphusaman clan who date back to the 1800's from before Minnesota was a state. I have an uncle and cousin who have been playing since 1998-1999 before the Innova Valkyrie the brands first distance driver that is not now a fairway driver and even before the first brand to have Got To Go Got To Go Throw had a disc golf cart.

I am from the Eckstrom clan, Who my Grandmother is from Winnona Minnesota the Kaphusaman clan who date back to the 1800's from before Minnesota was a state. I have an uncle and cousin who have been playing since 1998-1999 before the Innova Valkyrie the brands first distance driver that is not now a fairway driver and even before the first brand to have Got To Go Got To Go Throw had a disc golf cart.

Are you feeling alright?

Strange memories on this nervous night on DGRC. Five years later? Six? It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era, the kind of peak that never comes again. This was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run, but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant.

History is hard to know, because of all the hired bs, but even without being sure of "history" it seems entirely reasonable to think that every now and then the energy of a whole generation comes to a head in a long fine flash, for reasons that nobody really understands at the time and which never explain, in retrospect, what actually happened.

My central memory of that time seems to hang on one or five or maybe forty nights, or very early mornings when I left the course half-crazy and, instead of going home, aimed the big 650 Lightning across the Bay Bridge at a hundred miles an hour wearing L. L. Bean shorts and a Butte sheepherder's jacket booming through the Treasure Island tunnel at the lights of Oakland and Berkeley and Richmond, not quite sure which turn-off to take when I got to the other end (always stalling at the toll-gate, too twisted to find neutral while I fumbled for change), but being absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as messed up and wild as I was: No doubt at all about that.

There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning.

And that, I think, was the handle, that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back."

Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Donec congue lacus arcu, eu efficitur tellus dictum quis. Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, consectetur adipiscing elit. Nam ut enim non ipsum blandit tincidunt. Nullam vel purus id mi commodo condimentum vitae id felis. Quisque nec ante nec nisl porta laoreet. Maecenas fermentum, ante sed interdum imperdiet, est mauris aliquet augue, vel blandit justo ligula et quam. Nullam consequat, eros eu sagittis efficitur, odio est sodales nulla, et rutrum risus ante et felis. Vivamus at nisi eu nisi luctus bibendum. Phasellus laoreet tincidunt diam, id aliquet libero condimentum nec. Mauris faucibus metus sit amet vehicula bibendum. Sed leo leo, auctor blandit nisi in, placerat aliquam elit. Integer mattis ultrices ultricies. Quisque vitae tristique nulla.

Strange memories on this nervous night on DGRC. Five years later? Six? It seems like a lifetime, or at least a Main Era, the kind of peak that never comes again. This was a very special time and place to be a part of. Maybe it meant something. Maybe not, in the long run, but no explanation, no mix of words or music or memories can touch that sense of knowing that you were there and alive in that corner of time and the world. Whatever it meant.

History is hard to know, because of all the hired bs, but even without being sure of "history" it seems entirely reasonable to think that every now and then the energy of a whole generation comes to a head in a long fine flash, for reasons that nobody really understands at the time and which never explain, in retrospect, what actually happened.

My central memory of that time seems to hang on one or five or maybe forty nights, or very early mornings when I left the course half-crazy and, instead of going home, aimed the big 650 Lightning across the Bay Bridge at a hundred miles an hour wearing L. L. Bean shorts and a Butte sheepherder's jacket booming through the Treasure Island tunnel at the lights of Oakland and Berkeley and Richmond, not quite sure which turn-off to take when I got to the other end (always stalling at the toll-gate, too twisted to find neutral while I fumbled for change), but being absolutely certain that no matter which way I went I would come to a place where people were just as messed up and wild as I was: No doubt at all about that.

There was madness in any direction, at any hour. If not across the Bay, then up the Golden Gate or down 101 to Los Altos or La Honda. You could strike sparks anywhere. There was a fantastic universal sense that whatever we were doing was right, that we were winning.

And that, I think, was the handle, that sense of inevitable victory over the forces of Old and Evil. Not in any mean or military sense; we didn't need that. Our energy would simply prevail. There was no point in fighting on our side or theirs. We had all the momentum; we were riding the crest of a high and beautiful wave.

So now, less than five years later, you can go up on a steep hill in Las Vegas and look West, and with the right kind of eyes you can almost see the high-water mark that place where the wave finally broke and rolled back."

1346839458-auto-dafuq-dafuq-did-i-just-read-200165.jpeg

"This cosmic dance of bursting decadence and withheld permissions twists all our arms collectively, but if sweetness can win, and it can, then I'll still be here tomorrow to high-five you yesterday, my friend. Peace."

Hey a now gone course in Pierre (pronounced Pier) South Dakota that was a sign course in Griffin Park, you had to hit the sign to count had a hole of 30 feet from tee off to pole 1. The fact it was a sign not a basket made it hard to hit. It was a small sign about the size of a USA no parking between these hours sized sign. That small area made an Ace nearly impossible on the that course, I only counted Ace if I hit the sign after first few months of playing. That was the only course in Pierre South from 1986-1994 then 1995-2006 when Steamboat course was developed by family, brother, father and I and then a friend, Jay.

originally the city was going to do a course in Steamboat that was a Put only course only like the shortest hole hole was going to be like 20 feet so yeah a putting course only that by now would have been taken out. Jay somehow herd about the course and asked to be a developer of the course to desiong it then asked us, brother dad and I to also be designers of the course so it did not get made to difficult for non beginners as my brother and I were in the middle of our 3 year of playing as we had only bin playing 2.5 years. Then the group above all designed the course, one hole my favorite was one my dad made, hole 17. We did have a Google Earth of the park but no GPS, hand wheel that Jay had for measuring his own course on his property just out of town. We have a course that stopped the illegal underage drinking in one rough section of park, in the back as a train track was just above that part of the park, and people would go up past the signs that said this is owned by the such & such train company to keep drinking as it was privet property, police had no jurisdiction up there.

Last edited:
Civic Center Park: 9 holes; 1094 ft total distance
Avg hole length = 122 ft

This is a "legit" course: permanent and continuously operational since it was installed in 1980.

Lakeview Elementary School in Whitewater, Wisconsin. Hole #1 is 51 feet, #2 is 56 feet.

1) I'm doubt anyone even considered what par should be when that course was built.

2) The DGCR Scorecard shows it as Par 22 (five Par 2's + four Par 3's).
The entire course is a bunch of upshots. The only legit par 3 is the 200 ft hole that plays around a single tree with some sort of woods looming behind it, so you could go long trying for your ace.

Here's another championship caliber course: Ketchum Park 6 holes; 721 ft, 120 ft avg length. I played two rounds here... and I'm ashamed to have gotten three 3's.

That said, if you're playing for 2's it's easier than if you're running chains every singe tee shot, because missing chain high can result in a tougher comeback.

*Isn't sure which is worse: the fact that he carded 3's... or the fact that he tried to justify it.* :eek:

Best part about my rounds at Ketchum was there were a couple of families with a bunch of toddlers having a blast (amidst the poison ivy). They were sharing a few drivers among the group. I gave 'em a bunch of Pro D/DX putters and mids I had in my car. Their throws straightened out considerably.

The local club has laid out a separate, 18 hole "Putting Skills" course at Rolling Hills.
Tee signs and toe boards already installed, currently only posts/stakes where the baskets will be, but "baskets are coming soon" (so the sign said last Friday).

Played through it with my putters a couple months ago - all the holes were well under 100'... typically in the 30-70 ft range IIRC. Pretty interesting in that it plays through a densely wooded section, featuring tight lines, particularly well-guarded targets, and lots of obstacles in the way of growth that you have to work around, over, through, etc.

I wouldn't equate it to a pitch-n-putt type of course...doesn't play that way at all. It's 18 holes worth of tough, anything but wide-open, "normal" putts, designed to help you hone those skills to bag birdies and save pars when faced with difficult putts during a regular round on a typical course. Not saying it's the first of it's kind... but it's the first I've ever played, or even heard of.

The real question is, once the baskets are in, how should it be listed?
It's not a "mini" course.
... and I wouldn't want people thinking Rolling Hills is a legit two course destination.

Last edited:
The real question is, once the baskets are in, how should it be listed?
It's not a "mini" course.
... and I wouldn't want people thinking Rolling Hills is a legit two course destination.

However the putting course at Beaver Ranch is listed. They have the same thing.

Thanks... at least there's a precedent.

Yeah, they just have it listed as a regular course, but call it a "putting course" in the title. Seems like a legit way to list it.

Funny note - I lost a disc on that putting course. :gross:

My first three "aces" were on ridiculously short holes (101, 94, and 130).

Hildebran is a kid course and the shortest one I've ever played...

1 - 103 ft
2 - 103 ft
3 - 129 ft
4 - 108 ft
5 - 82 ft
6 - 124 ft
7 - 133 ft
8 - 86 ft
9 - 98 ft

Played it a couple times to break up a long trip. Embarrassingly, I didn't card any aces.