• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shot Tracer

jjtwinnova

Double Eagle Member
Gold level trusted reviewer
After watching SpinTV's coverage of the European Open I couldn't help but marvel at the shot tracers they put on some of the more impressive shots. I was wondering what software and expertise would be required to do that on some of my own shots. Hopefully some video-makers out there can help.

I really like it for DG.
I really hated it when the NHL used it.

whats the difference?
When the NHL used it, it was super distracting, and was only used for a year or so because seasoned fans hated it.(It looked like a flaming comet). It was only tried because newer viewers to ice hockey had trouble following the puck.

Last edited:
When the NHL used it, it was super distracting, and was only used for a year or so because seasoned fans hated it.(It looked like a flaming comet). It was only tried because newer viewers to ice hockey had trouble following the puck.

Wow. Ok.

There is an older youtube video that used a shot tracker demonstrating flight paths for a ton of throws.

Anybody have a link to that video previously mentioned or know the software off the top of your head?

Adobe After Effects is the software.

Essentially the concept is using the motion tracking feature, which attempts to discern objects via contrast between pixels. You get it to latch to the disc, and from there it generates a set of keyframes that you can then "build" the effect (i.e. their blue light trail) from.

The beauty is in the details, and I have to say Michael did a pretty sweet job with theirs. A couple of years ago I was playing around with one myself, mine looked more like sonar pings, it wasn't as elegant. It's a massive pain in the ass against bright skies, because the tracker feature often loses the disc and you have to manually correct the keyframes.

Reptilian Disc Golf did a pretty decent job in some of their videos too. Maybe Jamie can chime in how he made his work?

There are a few tutorials on how to do it in After Effects. You want to lookup After Effects, Motion Tracking, and Golf. It will show you basically how to do it, and you can adjust accordingly. Then, just go down the YouTube rabbit hole.

Wait, hockey is played with a puck? I just thought it was guys skating around with sticks and beating on each other? Especially when every now and then they all go over and beat up the goalie.

Sorry, couldn't resist. One of my favorite things is being in Canada during the Jr. World Championships. It's on every TV everywhere. And every place you go everyone is playing hockey. It's an awesome feeling.

I loved the matching tracks for Paul and Simon. Where Paul came inside and Simon went through the trees. It made for some good commentary on how Simon got lucky (although Paul pointed out that the low pathway was ideal for success in Simon's case).

Adobe After Effects is the software.

Essentially the concept is using the motion tracking feature, which attempts to discern objects via contrast between pixels. You get it to latch to the disc, and from there it generates a set of keyframes that you can then "build" the effect (i.e. their blue light trail) from.

The beauty is in the details, and I have to say Michael did a pretty sweet job with theirs. A couple of years ago I was playing around with one myself, mine looked more like sonar pings, it wasn't as elegant. It's a massive pain in the ass against bright skies, because the tracker feature often loses the disc and you have to manually correct the keyframes.

Ohhhh. The dual shot tracker for Barsby and McBeth R3 Hole 9. Ohhhh man that was sexy! If beauty is in the details, you fellas NAILED some detail work! I love the BEAST in Nokia, but this is the best coverage we've ever had of it.

Ohhhh. The dual shot tracker for Barsby and McBeth R3 Hole 9. Ohhhh man that was sexy! If beauty is in the details, you fellas NAILED some detail work! I love the BEAST in Nokia, but this is the best coverage we've ever had of it.

I'm continually impressed by how quickly Jonathan, Michael, and Jerry have refined their process and product.

It hasn't even been 2 whole seasons since we've all introduced 3-camera coverage to our channels, and I remember just talking shop with those guys at USDGC 2015 about the future of coverage, dg media, etc...and it was one of those things where we knew that once we all came back to start 2016 things were never going to be the same.

What a time we're living in right now. I love it.

Anybody have a link to that video previously mentioned or know the software off the top of your head?

I asked Ian (CCDG) about this earlier. It's all post-processing with Adobe After Effects. I'm impressed they can do it (3D and all) without something being done during the filming.

Update: Guess I'm only the third one to confirm...

I asked Ian (CCDG) about this earlier. It's all post-processing with Adobe After Effects. I'm impressed they can do it (3D and all) without something being done during the filming.

Update: Guess I'm only the third one to confirm...

The key to making it (relatively) easier is Jomez's use of fluid heads on their monopods. The frame stays more stable during camera movement than a body-mounted rig - so it makes it easier for the tracking algorithm to stay with the disc, reducing the amount of manual correction needed in post, saving time.

Similar to how PGA Tour has the "Trackman" camera. It's a special camera on a tripod...but that one does the tracker live in real time, which unfortunately we don't have the budget for lol.

...maybe I should create a "filming disc golf" instructional series, I love it when y'all are interested in talking shop. :)

Latest posts