• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Should I give an over rated course a 1 out of 5?

So, let me get this straight. The whole point of this thread was to have a debate over a half-point in your rating? Your hypothetical low-ball, trying to cheat the system, rating was going to be a 1.0, and instead you gave the course a 1.5. The difference that half point would have made on the course's overall rating would have been a 3.22 (with a 1.0) versus 3.25 (with your 1.5).

Oh, and because you wanted input on your review, it's "signage" not "sinage".

As others have said, just be honest with your review. People respect honest reviews, even if they don't agree with a certain rating or what you might say about a course. Looking at the course, it's a pretty short nine-holer, so your rating is probably a more accurate reflection of the course's quality than all the 3.5 - 5.0 ratings.

Thanks for the correction on spelling signage.

And yes, you are right. After having time to think about it and getting a better idea of how the rating system works, I would have felt like **** giving it a 1. It also helped that for each half point while posting a DGCR review, the site gave you a description (1.0 was bad, 1.5 was passable, 2 was OK). In this case, as you mentioned, the score was trivial, and "passable" was definitely more accurate than "bad" or in the case of 0, "abysmal".

Time to edit "sinage"... :doh:

I guess this hole thread is a bang head here moment for me. :wall: Oh well, lesson learned, just keep it honest.

Sorry if I wasted anyone's time with this thread.

This thread was a valid point to bring up for a lot of new reviewers and not really a waste of time at all. Welcome to review land....glad to have you. Just a day or two ago; there was an onslaught on reviews for a single course that were overinflated; probably attempting to do just what you are speaking of; and up what homers considered too low of a rating.

I guess this hole thread is a bang head here moment for me. :wall: Oh well, lesson learned, just keep it honest.

Sorry if I wasted anyone's time with this thread.

pun intended?

not a waste of time entirely. an interesting point of discussion, even if most(all?) of the opinions fall on one side.

I gave that course a 2. :cool:

Bogey is on the mark here. I don't write reviews, but I sure as heck use them. Rating are neat, and a lot of fun to debate, but generally not important. I could care less what the top rated courses here are. Now reviews are vital. They provide me the insight to find out if the course is for me. There are 3.5 rated courses I would have little interest in playing and some 3.5 courses that I am dying to play. Are they both "true" 3.5 courses, maybe, but I don't care. :hfive:

If you really feel reviews are vital, why don't you review? Not trying to be a jerk, but that's kinda oxymoronic.

If you really feel reviews are vital, why don't you review? Not trying to be a jerk, but that's kinda oxymoronic.

not to speak for him but there are several reasons why someone could appreciate reviews but not want to write them.

some people arent good at writing. (not that this stops all of them from reviewing)

some people may be good at it but just dont like writing.

some people may not have the time they think is necessary to do a good job with them.

some people are just lazy and/or dont feel its worth the effort.

some people are a bit insane and would have to either review all o the courses they play or none. i do fall into this category but i chose all. (and yes, it drives me a bit nuts that there are three courses that i can and might not ever be able to review because i played them before i joined this site)

Latest posts