• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Discraft] Should I (or not) get an Impact?

BrotherDave

Crushing on Zoe and Hating on Keegan
Diamond level trusted reviewer
I was window shopping on discgolfcenter as usual and was browsing the discraft discs when I saw the impact, thought it looked like a cheetah with slightly better glide that comes in better plastics. Is this accurate? I'm trying to cease being an Innova fan boy anyway. Tell me what you think, use it for, or if you absolutely hate it. Apologies if this disc has been discussed in length already.

'preciate it.

this disc is not a driver shaped disc. It has the shape of a stratus/element. I do love this disc but use it for longer (175-250 ft) mid range shots. Give it a try, however, it wont replace a driver.

The Impact is shaped like a midrange and I find it is a little more predictable than a Stratus. I use it as my primary midrange from all distances. It will hold any line I choose but if you choke the shot, it is not very forgiving. Overall, I love it and wonder how I got along without it. Try in ESP plastic.

I have an ESP Impact and I love it. It goes dead straight everytime. I use it for my straight midrange shots.

I had one and lost iot and I liked it so well I bought a replacement. I use it as a midrange or long range putter. It is very straight.

I had a 150 that I didn't like and accidently launched on the roof of school and then it ran away I could never find it again. I would say its between most fairway drivers and midranges. I wish I had gotton a heavier one though, maybe I will later.

About that Impact

I have been throwing an Imapct for several months.
It is a good disc that is more of a mid-range than a driver. With a "0" turn rating, it is a good disc for weaker arms (like mine), cold weather, or approach shots. If you put a lot of juice on it, it will turn over - but not severely. It's not a great glider or flyer, distance is medium.
Hope that helps.

I love it, it goes right where you put your hand, which is either a good or bad thing. Most of the time dead straight. I use it from 0-150 feet. 0-30 in wind in place of the putter.

x2
everything everyone else has said.

You might also want to look at a Star Coyote, or DX coyote. The Champ plastic tends to fade too much, but the star and dx go pretty straight, and the Coyote has great glide. I carry the Impact and the Coyote. The Impact is great for dead nuts straight, and I use the coyote for Hyzer mid shots.

The Impact flys very well on an anhyzer line and will pull off a hyzer flip pretty well provided you're going to throw it a good 200 feet or more. I had it in my bag for a while but ultimately took it out because it is just a little bit too bulky in my hand. It is even more bulky than the other midrange discs that I carry in my bag. Ultimately it will come down to personal preference, but if you are a fan of the cheetah, then you probably won't be a fan of the impact as a substitute. It is slightly slower than the cheetah. I'd put a cheetah back in my bag before I put the Impact back. I actually carry a Leopard in place of both of those, but if you're trying to get away from Innova, that won't help you much.
You can always buy one, try it out, and then sell it if it doesn't work for you. I have one for sell. I'll give it to you for 10 bucks since you're a fellow DGCR member. It is red/pink ESP plastic and weighs 170 grams. PM me if you are interested.

Hi All;

I've been throwing an ESP Impact this year and I like it. It handels about as well as my Star Skeeter. Very straight, very controlable hyzer or anhyzer, and quite tough. The Impact is better on a windy day than is the Element but none of the discs I've mentioned handle a headwing very well. (I haven't played with overstable mids yet.) HTH

Yeah, i concur with all of you, it is pretty frickin' straight. Thanks.

I got the 150 ESP and hubby got a 162. It's become his go-to midrange/long putter, but I haven't thrown mine enough to get a handle on it yet (my go-to is a 150 Z Storm....boooo on DC for discontinuing the it!!).

I got a 175g ESP to replace the 150g one I lost and like it a lot more than the 150g. I didn't like the 150g to begin with and I only had it one day although thats because it took off and never came back. The 175g is in my bag now and love it for dead straight shots 150'-225'.