• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[MVP] Why I switched from Wizards to Ions (long post warning)

I've gone through quite a few putters since I started playing. When you drive and approach with them constantly, it happens. Also, snow rounds.

Yea, i never drive/approach with my main putter. My wizards i putt with are usually softer than my driving/approach wizards. If u keep a putter "just for putting" it should last years. I use soft or medium wiz for driving/approach.

Never drive with your main putter. I dont even know if the all mighty Ion could hold up to that abuse.

Never drive with your main putter. I dont even know if the all mighty Ion could hold up to that abuse.

The Ion loves that abuse...The new ones need a little driving abuse to become straight for putting imo. Now that I putt with the clear mediums I also know that when I break out a new one it will be exactly like my broken in/lost one was when new.

Going strong for two seasons now. One of the points of getting an ION was to be able to throw the same putter for as many different shots as possible.

I saw some comments regarding Voodoos...

I just started throwing the Ion for drives and long approaches. To me, it is a slightly more stable Voodoo. I really liked the feel in the hand of the Voodoo, much more than the Wizard, plus it is a little more neutral and faster than a Wiz. But the Voodoo would loose that new stability rather quickly. Putters are great in tight wooded courses, but the trees and rocks take their toll on the base plastics.

So, to me, the Ion is like a Voodoo in a Champ/Z/Opto type plastic. Durable, fast, still somewhat of a neutral flyer, and slightly more stable as is typically found in these types of plastics.

The Voodoo still remains my true putter, don't see that changing...and I carry a really beat up one for bigger turnover and annys. But the Ion has been getting much use from the tee and on long approaches.

I saw some comments regarding Voodoos...

I just started throwing the Ion for drives and long approaches. To me, it is a slightly more stable Voodoo. I really liked the feel in the hand of the Voodoo, much more than the Wizard, plus it is a little more neutral and faster than a Wiz. But the Voodoo would loose that new stability rather quickly. Putters are great in tight wooded courses, but the trees and rocks take their toll on the base plastics.

So, to me, the Ion is like a Voodoo in a Champ/Z/Opto type plastic. Durable, fast, still somewhat of a neutral flyer, and slightly more stable as is typically found in these types of plastics.

The Voodoo still remains my true putter, don't see that changing...and I carry a really beat up one for bigger turnover and annys. But the Ion has been getting much use from the tee and on long approaches.

That's how the Ion started for me...Eventually it usurped the Voodoo altogether...It just seemed to spring out of my hand so much more. I straddle putt everything, so the extra range of the Ion is greatly appreciated in my game.

That's how the Ion started for me...Eventually it usurped the Voodoo altogether...It just seemed to spring out of my hand so much more. I straddle putt everything, so the extra range of the Ion is greatly appreciated in my game.

Interesting....I straddle putt as well, but like the extra grip and firmness of the flight plate. Never did like the feel of anything that felt soft or slick in my fingers and the S plastic is grippy in most weather conditions.

Like anything, I've adapted technique and style to suit and it's predictable...If I miss, it was me.

That reminds me...I gotta go practice my putting...

The Ion loves that abuse...The new ones need a little driving abuse to become straight for putting imo. Now that I putt with the clear mediums I also know that when I break out a new one it will be exactly like my broken in/lost one was when new.

Had a med. ion which was a great disc (currently hiding in 3' grass....) all around like everyone has mentioned but on a few longer putts the discs actually bounced out of the basket... 2 of the worst were slightly down-hill 50-75' and DEAD center only to have it flip back out..Not spit out or through the chains literally JUMPED back out of the basket. Would a soft ION be better for a main putter but still the same disc as a Med? Do NOT want it to be floppy. I have never seen any other disc do this before and it was actually during some of the hotter days we have had lately which made the edge almost bouncy...Which ION do you guys think is the best for putting? Love the Ion just can't give up the Pure yet!

Yea, i never drive/approach with my main putter. My wizards i putt with are usually softer than my driving/approach wizards. If u keep a putter "just for putting" it should last years. I use soft or medium wiz for driving/approach.

I drive and putt both with every wizard in my bag. My oldest wizard for longer putts and turnover or finesse drives. It's so worn that it has no bead anymore.

Had a med. ion which was a great disc (currently hiding in 3' grass....) all around like everyone has mentioned but on a few longer putts the discs actually bounced out of the basket... 2 of the worst were slightly down-hill 50-75' and DEAD center only to have it flip back out..Not spit out or through the chains literally JUMPED back out of the basket. Would a soft ION be better for a main putter but still the same disc as a Med? Do NOT want it to be floppy. I have never seen any other disc do this before and it was actually during some of the hotter days we have had lately which made the edge almost bouncy...Which ION do you guys think is the best for putting? Love the Ion just can't give up the Pure yet!

I like mediums. I have seen this as well, almost always on long putts where the disc is still spinning quite a bit and goes into the basket without touching the chains. I've seen it happen with other putters (particularly those of the stiffer variety), but it's possible it happens a bit more often with the m Ions. Softer putters spin-out of the chains more though, so you have to deal with some weakness to whatever putter/style that you commit to.

i wouldn't mind trying the ions but i do love the wizards but i seem to hear a couple of things mostly.

A. spin putters love them
B. laser lines/ low lines are easier than with wizards that do tend to need more height to work with.
C. not as stable as a wizard into headwind. more like a voodoo correct?
D. they don't clover like my favorite wizards so the lifespan must be til you lose your disc.

i think i would def trade three for two on those if someone gets a few extras and doesn't like them PM ME

IONs for wizards!

i wouldn't mind trying the ions but i do love the wizards but i seem to hear a couple of things mostly.

A. spin putters love them
B. laser lines/ low lines are easier than with wizards that do tend to need more height to work with.
C. not as stable as a wizard into headwind. more like a voodoo correct?
D. they don't clover like my favorite wizards so the lifespan must be til you lose your disc.

i think i would def trade three for two on those if someone gets a few extras and doesn't like them PM ME

IONs for wizards!

I putt with medium Ions and I'm not a spin putter. I use just enough spin to keep the disc in the air whenever possible, though I must admit today I was playing in strong wind and using more spin than usual. My putters are 175, and at this weight they drop as soon as they lose a certain amount of spin. So i just pitch them up with the right amount of spin and they drop as they are going in the basket. In general the soft Ions need more spin on putts than the mediums.

The clear Ions are as stable into the wind as Wizards. The older textured opaque Ions are more like Voodoos.

It could, but I never drive with my putting Ion unless its field practice. I just like to get used to putting with 1 particular disc and keep it that way.

Elnino, like Discspeed said, new Ions will fight wind as much as a Wizard. They hold an excellent hyzer.

I just used a Soft Ion today at a tournament. There were very windy conditions. I used it to drive on a few holes, upshots and to putt.

I used it to tee off on 3 holes, all under 300'. I was able to birdie 4 out of 6 times (2 rounds) and the two I didn't birdie were because they hit branches early off the tee.

On hole 17 I was able to throw it super straight through a fairly narrow gap of two trees and park it each time. That hole was a CTP and both times I was barely beat out.

On hole 2 I threw an anhyzer route over the water and it was flexing back to stable each time. 1 birdie, one par.

On hole 5, downhill shot with a low ceiling, anhyzer route that flexed to stable the time I didn't hit a low lying branch.

On my upshots it flew well except for the times I kept it nose up and became super stable even in fierce headwinds.

The only problem I had with it all day was in the 2nd round on upshots. My hands were pretty sweaty, even when I dried them with a towel so it'd quite often stick or slip. I'll probably stick to a KC Pro Roc when my hands get a little sweaty.

I love how overstable it is and better pick up a few more so I can have one for putting and some for drives off the tee.

Overall I love it and glad I bought it thanks to Mike C's videos. :thmbup:

Last edited:
I'm going to hold off doing an extensive post on the Ion for a bit yet
I've been doing some basement practice putting and the Ion seems to be pretty solid...and I am spin putting

I haven't got out to do any driving yet but that should happen tomorrow. I'm hoping they are as stable as my Cryz Flx Challengers. The Soft Ion plastic sure feels nice

The Voodoos an Ion would be replacing for me are the clear EPP ones. very durable and predictable with a rubbery feel. Very odd disc but I dig it. Looking forward to trying an Ion.

Ah man. I love wizards, they are my favorite disc. But after reading this post, I just ordered some new Ions. And I'll probably be making the switch. Hope they are as sweet as they sound!

I've got 2 172 ions - one is a little soft and I love it. The other is a bit firm and not so great for me.
Sounds like you got a Soft and Medium Ion. This is why we offer two choices as some prefer one or the other for their style of play or in different situations.

So, Mike C., I'm assuming you still throw Rocs? How do Ions pair with Rocs as opposed to Wizards? I throw Rocs, and I haven't really invested much in Wizards so I'm interested in trying out Ions. I'm just wondering how they would pair with my Rocs.

Thanks, and good write-up!

Latest posts