• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

[Question] Should the PDGA standardize flight ratings?

Tokyo

Par Member
I brought this up the other day with all the new companies and discs out would it help to have pdga do across the board flight ratings on discs to help people buying compare and make discs less confusing when it comes to disc selection?

No. The PDGA is not a consumer protection agency.

There are plenty of online sources for comparing discs across manufacturers.

no

its impossible as ratings change from run to run, weights, type of plastic, amount of wear, color etc

the guidelines that are out are great but its not practical its not needed and its unethical for the pdga to get into this realm

I understand there are online sources that compares discs and speeds and hss, and such but not all discs buyers can use that quickly or care to put that much research into discs, it has nothing to do with consumer protection, it just seems it would help and simplize comparing discs from one to another, they allready stamp their name on it to approve why not flight ratings?

I understand there are online sources that compares discs and speeds and hss, and such but not all discs buyers can use that quickly or care to put that much research into discs, it has nothing to do with consumer protection, it just seems it would help and simplize comparing discs from one to another, they allready stamp their name on it to approve why not flight ratings?

The manufacturer stamps their name on it to show that it's approved. That's not anything the PDGA mandates (I don't think?).

And it is about consumer protection, you want the PDGA to set a standard to make disc buying easier. That's not the PDGA's realm. The PDGA's primary focus is on competitive play.

That's like saying NASCAR should standardize fuel economy ratings.

You don't see the ATP telling players what rackets do what, or the PGA going around changing the descriptions of golf clubs. It would only lead to issues where the PDGA would be accused of helping certain manufacturers make their discs look better. I think it's great that there are several third parties who are working on building resources that compare across manufacturers, but I really don't think it's something the PDGA would be successful at, nor do I want them wasting my membership dues on a silly project like that.

disc golf discs: one product purchased at random without much research to justify the purchase and that of which is hardly understood in the first place as to why it was made over another product.

B/c flight ratings don't really matter all that much. Its why Iphones come in color cases and not their different specs stamped on the back. doing a little DD never hurts as a consumer.

No, there are various sites that do this, and theres no way of doing it for every run, plastic, weight, etc..

If you want to know how a SPECIFIC disc will fly, ask on the forums.

This has come up plenty of times before, in fact, it popped up a few weeks ago:

http://www.dgcoursereview.com/forums/showthread.php?t=99479

From a very reliable source, I was told that the PDGA won't mandate a single flight rating system because "there are a lot of good flight rating systems out there and they're happy to support multiple systems" (yeah, that worked for Rome). Additionally, I was told that the PDGA is afraid of manufacturer backlash if one brand of disc is rating longer than another brand.

It's a bitter pill to swallow because a single system is better for the players, period. But being able to run an organization that benefits the sport (all other criticisms aside) takes money. So if you alienate those that provide the money, it's tough to benefit the sport.

That tangent aside, I think inbounds is the most concise and complete system out there :)

Yes they should of course. On a side note I just heard the pdga is also looking into mandating disc locks to prevent nose up throws should the discs fall into adolescent hands.

I think he was meaning should there be a standardized flight rating design instead of Discraft using a single number, versus Innova and the others using a 4 number system, etc for the initial release from the manufacturer in order to try to bring some continuity to things.

After that for companies like InBounds or GGGT or Marshall St, whoever else to do their own in depth testing and reviews on the discs and what they feel are more true flight numbers is just icing on the cake.

Inbounds has a great online and paper copy

you know, I don't trust their flight charts (I used to until very recently). How do they have flight ratings up months in advance for discs that having come out yet (not even their limited first runs)? Look at Westside's upcoming molds, inbounds had flights up for them a month ago. It almost seems like they went the route of www.flightanalyzer.com and just applied a % amount to the suggested flight ratings by the manufacturer. I don't honestly think they throw and test every disc themselves.
But that being said it is a nice site to compare the different flights through another persons eyes.