• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Shoulder Tendonitis

MopMan

Par Member
Has anyone else here suffered with rotator cuff/bicep tendonitis? It has been three weeks since my last round of disc and I still have soreness!

I have planned to take an extended break to recover from this... I just wish I could start exercising or stretching or... anything! Waiting sucks.

THEN, I have to train for 8-12 weeks after the pain dissipates before I can hit the course again. At least this is happening during the wintertime.

How much rest did you need for the pain to subside? How long did it keep you out of the game? Did you have recurring tendonitis episodes or other related shoulder issues? Did it change your game for the better? Worse? How did you keep sane wile you were on IR? Any other advice?

Can you pick things up with the shoulder? Positive it is not torn? I suffer from it while playing but usually constant stretching and proper warm up will keep it from coming back once it is under control. I've pretty much had a messed up shoulder for a while where it can come out of the socket if it gets in a weird position. (Going for rebound in basketball for example)

Doing some good shoulder workouts can really help as well.

I still can't really play dg due to a ruptured Achilles tendon back in May. I couldn't really do anything but rest for quite some time. I played before it got snowy out but can't really risk re-injuring it. (Plus the boot would get wet - my calf is just now starting to work again so I still rock a boot while golfing.)

I did get a chance to read and absorb a lot of information though. I've ready so many threads here and other places, that I know a lot more about the game now at least. Just do things to keep the mind busy.

Sometimes I'm not even sure that I'll make it back out there. lmao You're not alone.

I didn't use my left from March to August. I took MSM religiously during that time and it helped immensely.

Learn how to throw off-hand if you want to play. After a while you will get decent.

Can you pick things up with the shoulder? Positive it is not torn?

Yes, I can pick things up. Doc said there might be a strain or small tear, but that rest will heal that. I have been actively avoiding using the shoulder, and since there is still discomfort just from the weight of my arm after several repetitions, I haven't lifted anything heavy.

Wow, I really hope I can get back in it before 8 months passes. That sounds terrible!

billnchristy said:
I took MSM religiously during that time and it helped immensely.
A quick Google search reveals that by MSM you must mean you must mean methylsulfonylmethane, a sulphur supplement. Can I get this stuff at my local GNC?

I was thinking about playing lefty, but twisting the body will still put shear forces on my right shoulder. I'm not so sure this is a good idea just yet.

I recently had shoulder problems too. I didn't see a doctor about it, but since the pain was limited I worked with the assumption it was inflamation or a small tear. I rested it as much as possible for 3 weeks before I played again. It held up fine without any pain for a full day of play (2 games, plus) last week, but maybe even another week of rest would have been good.

Yes, thats the stuff and yes, they sell it.

Wow, you have a lot more pain than I had.

I had full movement except could not lift arm above shoulder level with my arm at my side.

Yes, thats the stuff and yes, they sell it.

Wow, you have a lot more pain than I had.

I had full movement except could not lift arm above shoulder level with my arm at my side.

I still have a full range of motion even above my shoulder, but if I do something like arm circles, I get sore under the front of my arm and in the front of my shoulder in the bicep region. And it really isn't terrible pain, just a twinge of soreness to remind me that I'm not healthy yet.

I just might go pick up some supplements. Time to do some reading. Thanks for the suggestion.

Are you sure that is what it is? I had the same symptoms (mainly not being able to lift my arm), & I was just dealing with it. Then one day I went to a chiropractor for some lower back issue, while I was there I mentioned my shoulder. He did a test, with me laying on my back I extend my hand to my hip, then he had me raise my hand while he applied pressure to keep my arm/hand in place. Due to my lack of ability to lift with much force (the other side was much stronger) he knew there was an issue. He then went through a series of movements (not violent at all) with the "break away table", and I instantly had more strength in my shoulder.
I'm just saying it might be worth checking out. Good luck either way.

Get a second opinion. I had to do that with my knee. I had rotator cuff inpingment a few years ago, but it was in my non-throwing shoulder. If you have anything like that, give me a call and I can show you all the stretches and exercises that I had to do to fix it. Otherwise, rest it up and get some PT.

Are you throwing BH, FH, or OH? You should check your throwing technique and shoulder/body alignment to make sure you are not putting extra stress on it, and it sounds like you are. Your description of the pain location sounds like bicep tendonitis, but your description of when it occurs sounds more like bursitis, a tear, or impingement. It could be also be a combination, or just really really bad tendonitis. Rest is best, ice and advil help. In case you do have a tear I'd wait the 8-12 weeks before trying to play again.

I dealt with some bad bicep tendonitis through most my college career, but I was usually good to go after a week or two of rest and PT. I noticed the most pain at night when going to sleep. I had a good amount pain before I got my shoulder warmed up also, but during practice wasn't too bad, and would get PT after practice and ice/advil. I focused on strengthening my triceps and back because my chest and bicep muscles were pulling my shoulders forward causing most of my bicep tendonitis.

I throw mostly backhand.

The pain was much worse and more widespread a few weeks ago--now the bicep pain with exertion is the only remaining symptom.

The doctor discussed a number of different possibilities, but said most likely it was rotator cuff and bicep tendonitis, and maybe some muscle strain. He put my arm in about 20 different positions and exerted force on it in various directions and asked if it hurt or felt funny. He said there were no major tears, and he noted that I have "extraodinarily flexible shoulders."

The doctor prescribed immediate and total rest for the shoulder, gave me a huge bottle of 800mg ibuprofen tablets, demonstrated some stretching and strengthening techniques, and told me not to use the techniques until I no longer felt any pain. Then he told me to begin using the techniques and even said I could resume going to the gym when I felt ready, but that I should take it real easy for a few weeks and then increase the resistance very slowly.

Based on my own research I'm thinking I may also have instability in the shoulder, which could be an underlying factor and/or contributor to the tendonitis. I told the doc I had experienced what I think have been several anterior subluxation events over the past year, but he did not seem concerned about this and did not mention instability during my visit.

I plan to follow doc's advice to the letter and rehab for the full 8-12 weeks before doing anything strenuous, no matter how good my shoulder feels. If I hit any snags along the way, I'm going to schedule a follow-up.

Several people have mentioned getting physical therapy for the shoulder. By this you mean professional training assistance, correct? My doc didn't say anything about seeing a therapist. Should I push for this if I go back?

Due to the structure of my HMO plan, I need a referral from my GP before I can see a chiropractor. Chiropractics is on my list of things to try if problems continue.

Several people have mentioned getting physical therapy for the shoulder. By this you mean professional training assistance, correct? My doc didn't say anything about seeing a therapist. Should I push for this if I go back?

I would if your insurance covers it. Physical therapy can help you recover faster since they have more tools and make you do the exercises for proper rehab. Also most physical therapist can act as a second opinion and they can typically tell if your injury is something else from what the dr says, and should know when you should be able play.

I would if your insurance covers it. Physical therapy can help you recover faster since they have more tools and make you do the exercises for proper rehab. Also most physical therapist can act as a second opinion and they can typically tell if your injury is something else from what the dr says, and should know when you should be able play.

Seconded. If doc says rest, rest. But once you're done resting, you need to prevent this from happening again, hence PT. If your insurance covers it (and the coverage doesn't totally suck) do it. Chiropractic is nice too (I get my fix every other week), but in my experience, for these types of things PT is the way to go.

So if you're resting for 8-12 weeks, does this mean no beer olympics in February?

Thanks for the feedback. I will look into meeting with a qualified PT.

As far as beer olympics... I hope to be done with rest and into rehab exercises by then, but the last olympics aggravated my ailing appendage enough that I know it won't be a good idea. Maybe I'll sponsor a newbie and play it leftie.

Latest posts