• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sidearm breaktrough, runup question

Smigles

* Ace Member *
Sooo, I have been golfing for 4 years, and before that I have been playing ultimate for a good 15 years.

I was working heavily on my backhand, and am at a point where I am quite happy with it. I even claim that my annies are a strong part of my game and I dont even need a sidearm. So whenever I wanted to try sidearm, I always took way overstable discs and sent them on huge anhyzers that fade out to make s-shots. I was never able to hyzerflip a sidearm.

But that changed when it suddenly klicked two weeks ago. I slightly changed my form and it's now much closer to how I threw sidearm back in the ultimate days ( less force, more swing, keeping the ellbow realy close to the hip). And suddenly it's all there, control, hyzerflips, lineshaping, distance up to 300 feet ( didnt realy get past 200 before... ).

So I am happy with it for now :) Working on it to gain more distance. 350 - 400 would be nice, but will take seriously alot more training.

What i am NOT happy with is my runup. I dont know what to do with my legs. Ultimate sidearms are always thrown from a standstill. Backhand runups are with a x-step. I tried x-stepping on my sidearm runupo, but with very mixed success.

TLDR : So how do you run up for your sidearm?

Use a side shuffle. Watch Sarah Hokom throw with power and precision. She explains her technique on disc golf monthly's training videos series.

The way I got my forehands to click was to release them higher. So pretty much I'm releasing my forehands pretty close to shoulder level. It's the only way I can throw one without rolling my wrist over.

My buddy still gasps in amazement when I hit those gaps with a sidearm lol

my run up is just a side shuffle. simple and effective

I do all three: stand-still, shuffle step, and x-step, it all depends on many factors.

If I'm trying to be super duper accurate, it'll be a stand-still. If I need distance, it's an x-step, and if I'm limited in my run-up room but still need distance, it'll be a shuffle.

Practice all three, but if you're working on improving your form, I'd just concentrate on a stand-still for now....

From a standstill, focus on weight shift. You want to start with your weight on your back foot and shift to your front leg throughout the throw. You should be finishing with most of your weight forward.

As you master that, the natural next step is to actually step into the throw. Again, thinking about smooth, clean weight transfer from back to front.

Once you get the step, add in a small shuffle step to build a little momentum and get your feet set. That should be all you need. There's no need for a big runup or x-step.

It took a while but once I soldified my run up, I could forehand drive up to 380 so far. The run up for a forehand is hard to incorporate an x step. Instead I point my shoulder to my aiming point of where I want the disc to go. I begin facing forward but slowly move into that paralell position doing a sidestep/shuffle as I reach the end of the tee, then crank back my arm, let it fly and follow through.

I use a one step approach for my FH tee shots. I am good with that up to 380ft. If I need more than that I use a "foot to foot" baseball crow hop.

I'll use a standstill from a straddle stance with my weight over my right foot for most approach shots. I have been told it looks a lot like an ultimate flick, though I have never played ultimate.

I do the straddle as you described as well for many short to medium length approaches. But its generally with a mid or putter, and a short swing or all wrist. If i have to put more arm or body into it, i generally club up, and am more staggered.

for H flips, i find an x step works best for me off the tee, for power flex shots with something overstable, i generally crow hop (and its slow too, is this weird?). Not sure why, but it seems to put my body in the right position to execute those throws individually.