• Discover new ways to elevate your game with the updated DGCourseReview app!
    It's entirely free and enhanced with features shaped by user feedback to ensure your best experience on the course. (App Store or Google Play)

Sidearm Pain

Jeb3

Hello everyone here at DGcoursereview.com, I recently discovered how to properly transfer the energy of a sidearm flick with the proper pinch. Yet only after 1 day of practicing this side arm which have managed to get out over 300 in the first day has caused a lot of pain in my throwing arm. I feel its specifically from the flicks I've been throwing RHBH with now pain really ever.. This isn't just soreness either its feels like a hyper extension or something the pain sits on the inside of the elbow and runs across the top of my bicep. So obviously I have thrown my arm out that's not my question. I was searching through the forums for about an hour and couldn't find a thread really talking about the same thing. Does anyone have tips on how to properly stop your arm motion or possibly follow through on a sidearm to avoid this constant strain its putting on my right elbow. Anyone help out be great. If its something that just is until your arm builds up a little more strength to the sidearm dont be afraid to call me baby. Thanks guys don't wanna throw my arm out before the season really starts here in CO

I'm a newb as well, so I'm sure you'll get better instruction elsewhere, but...

I'm RHFH dominant, and I have experienced the same pain as you. I find it is from throwing the disc, not flicking it.
Watching Ricky Wysocki and Jeremy Koling in tournament play helped me visualize the proper throw. They throw effortlessly 400+ feet.
Choosing my line and focusing on footwork, arm motion, and snap, and NOT distance, also prevents over torquing my arm. When I TRY to throw 400' I hurt myself; when I try to snap through the 200' window I lined up, I throw 300' or more.
Type of disc can make a difference as well. Everyone told me to flick OS discs (like the Flick) but I find a Wraith is about as overstable (for distance) as I want to be. Innova Thunderbird and Teebird are great speed(y) stable discs to learn to flick. Firebird and XXX are great if you need that right hand fade, but I think learning stable and slower discs is the way to go. Try flicking mids and putters 200' to learn about snap versus throwing.

Like I said I'm sure you'll get technical throwing advice, but these are practical points I have worked on and am now throwing pain free 275'-400'

The pain on the inside of your elbow and bicep... put your elbow at your side, arm bent with your hand out in front of you. make a motion like youre twisting a doorknob. Does this duplicate the pain? I had pain like you describe a while back. could be a few things but mine was tenis elbow - caused by repetitive motion. could be strain on the ligaments. RICE therapy will help coupled with learning and practicing proper form.

1. Don't throw if you have pain. The pain you describe is anything but normal, it sounds like a UCL injury which I wouldn't take lightly, I'd consult with a physical therapist or orthopedist and show them your technique.

2. You need to find the mechanical flaw in your swing, taking video would help. This "new" technique is probably something bad. I'm wondering if you are doing the "Inverted W".
http://www.chrisoleary.com/projects/PitchingMechanics101/Essays/DeathToTheInvertedW.html

3. My technique is like skipping stones and doing a baseball long toss drill sidearm.

I feel the pain the most while flexing the bicep or while picking something up pulling pushing etc so i guess in almost any direction as long as i tense up i feel a strain. Ill watch some of the videos and maybe take it easy for a week.

Rest it for a few days for sure, part if it is the fact it's new and the muscles aren't use to it. It also sounds like you're forcing it to much and have a lot of torque on your elbow by coming through to fast. Think fluid not fast starting off, you will naturally get the speed the more you throw.

Also get a compression sleeve, that helped my arm till my muscles strengthened to handle the strain.

If you can video your throw after you rest a few days that would help give us an idea of the mechanics. I'll see if I can post one of mine later.

I used to have a lot more issues with tennis elbow until I started doing simple exercises which helped warm up those muscles and strengthen them.
What I do is, I hold my hand palm up and I touch the tip of each finger to my thumb over and over again.
A physiotherapist told me to do this and I went from horrible pain which completely took away my ability to throw to not noticing any pain at all after a while. Rest and giving it time to recover is also important but, warm it up!

To prevent injury please always properly warm up. Flick just a towel 10 or 20 times at least. pretend the towel is the disc and just flick it & get a good snap sound.

Also when chosing forehand discs I go with a light weight disc. My home course starts with flicks as the best route (for me as a lefty) on the first 7 holes.

I warm up with a Blizzard Ape 159-160. Second & Third hole I throw a 165 Flick.

By hole 4 & 5 I am warm & reach for my 170 Flick as there is water on right so finishing left is a must.

Hole 7 is 400 ft with o/b road right. I use my 169 designated sidewalk smashing champion Destroyer to skip off the road & flare to the pin.

I throw primarily sidearm. I practice a lot. Tons of throws with no pain. When I teach my sidearm technique I tell people that the mechanics of throwing a sidearm have more in common with hitting a baseball than throwing a baseball. Most of the power coming from legs and hips rather than shoulder and arms. That is probably why you are experiencing pain. That's the best advice I can give. If you check out my in the bag vid linked in my sig, Marty shows a couple of slo mo sidearm shots near the end. Check them out and you'll see what I mean.

I feel the pain the most while flexing the bicep or while picking something up pulling pushing etc so i guess in almost any direction as long as i tense up i feel a strain. Ill watch some of the videos and maybe take it easy for a week.

I had the exact same pain that you described when I started throwing forehand. It was caused by leading with my elbow too far ahead of my shoulder. Don't let your elbow extend past your shoulders/hips and you should be pain free.

Most people will tell you to keep your elbow tucked in to your hip but I feel more comfortable and get more distance with my elbow extended out a little further. As long as I don't over extend my elbow towards the target, I am pain free.

Thanks for all the advice guys ill be leaving for new york soon to visit family not sure if ill find anytime to record a video. although everything has been very helpful

I know exactly what you are feeling - I have been throwing sidearm for 2 years with ZERO pain until I tried to over throw a few days ago and BAM.

ICE ICE ICE and rest and think about your mechanics and where the stress comes from. Picture your throw in your minds eye. I got mine from trying to put too much elbow into the throw.

You don't want tendinitis. ICE and Ibuprofen to take down swelling.

WARM UP! (which I did not)

I threw fh for over a decade exclusively except putts......the last 3 years my elbow would hurt for a couple days afterwards....then it got to where I couldn't even lightly flick a mid so I switched to bh and lost 150 ft in distance occasionally I will flick an approach now but to this day can not drive fh with full power....the moral of my blabber is this...if it hurts don't do it find a new way

Sounds like tennis elbow. Stretch the biceps, ice it after every round. Take NSAIDs.

Warm up with a theraband flexbar, always helps my elbows.

Hello everyone here at DGcoursereview.com, I recently discovered how to properly transfer the energy of a sidearm flick with the proper pinch. Yet only after 1 day of practicing this side arm which have managed to get out over 300 in the first day has caused a lot of pain in my throwing arm. I feel its specifically from the flicks I've been throwing RHBH with now pain really ever.. This isn't just soreness either its feels like a hyper extension or something the pain sits on the inside of the elbow and runs across the top of my bicep. So obviously I have thrown my arm out that's not my question. I was searching through the forums for about an hour and couldn't find a thread really talking about the same thing. Does anyone have tips on how to properly stop your arm motion or possibly follow through on a sidearm to avoid this constant strain its putting on my right elbow. Anyone help out be great. If its something that just is until your arm builds up a little more strength to the sidearm dont be afraid to call me baby. Thanks guys don't wanna throw my arm out before the season really starts here in CO
I am right hand dominant and I had the same experience but I noticed technique problems were the causes of it. I had the tendency to stop my follow through which is a terrible mistake. Focusing on my technique/remembering to follow through has helped out. I would focus on technique and do a lot of research about how to throw the sidearm and give your arm a break if you are in pain.

Sorry for a double post...my experience led me to try more anhyzers. It gave the arm a break while still being able to throw a shot to get it to the right side when needed.

That sounds like a classic overuse injury. You did too much too soon and your body wasn't ready for it. Hopefully since you started this thread you have been able to rest and recover a bit.

Bump for wisdom.

The story: So I've really improved my forehand lately (changed grips, got the hips and legs way more involved, leading with the elbow, etc) but occasionally I'll experience some soreness/tightness in the front of my shoulder, basically where the bicep goes up into the shoulder. The more the elbow comes up, the more pressure it puts on this area. This is a really new motion to me compared to my sports background so I'm thinking it's just inflexibility from doing something new but I wanted to check in with others to see if I need to prevent ripping my biceps tendon out of my shoulder. I wouldn't qualify it as pain yet, more like the feeling you get when you do a certain stretch you haven't done before.

Bump for wisdom.

The story: So I've really improved my forehand lately (changed grips, got the hips and legs way more involved, leading with the elbow, etc) but occasionally I'll experience some soreness/tightness in the front of my shoulder, basically where the bicep goes up into the shoulder. The more the elbow comes up, the more pressure it puts on this area. This is a really new motion to me compared to my sports background so I'm thinking it's just inflexibility from doing something new but I wanted to check in with others to see if I need to prevent ripping my biceps tendon out of my shoulder. I wouldn't qualify it as pain yet, more like the feeling you get when you do a certain stretch you haven't done before.
I'd tread lightly and video analyze. Find whatever height your elbow feels comfortable and effortless on your shoulder at swinging the lower arm/disc aka your natural arm slot.

Latest posts